PDA

View Full Version : I'm enjoying FMP Newspaper records.....

Merry
23-11-12, 21:37
I'd found quite a few things, but mainly for the rarer names on my tree, because the search was easier, but I decided to try and see if there was anything available for one of my two Smith lines.......

I knew that my 5xg-grandfather, William Smith was a carrier, as this was recorded on his son's Quaker marriage cert in 1786. I also knew William (who wasn't a Quaker) was dead by this date and had a likely burial record from Dec 1782, but with such a common name I couldn't be sure it was the right person.

*drum roll* :D

Thanks to the FMP database I now know I did have the right burial because.....

Oxford Journal 21st Dec 1782
Tuesday morning died after a very short illness, Mr William Smith, who had been a licenced carrier from this University to Witney, Burford etc for near forty years and whose Punctuality in Business has rendered him respectable.

lol Good to know he was punctual or he wouldn't have been respectable!!

I also found a notice from 1757 announcing that The Rev Dr Randolph, vice chancellor of Oxford University, had appointed William Smith of Burford as licenced carrier of letters etc between various towns in the county of Oxfordshire.

There were other notices before 1757 where he was described as a 'common carrier'.

I never expected to find such things about him :):):) So, very chuffed :D

kiterunner
23-11-12, 22:11
Wow, that's good, Merry.

Shona
23-11-12, 22:12
So pleased for you, Merry. Don't you just love that thrill of joy when you make a discovery like that?

Not quite the same scale, but one ggf was a carrier, too. According to the paper, there was great rivalry between ggf and another carrier. Ggf was 'had up' for 'furious speeding'. He then placed ads in the paper saying: 'John Milloy - the fastest carrier service. Guaranteed by law.'

I dare say this behaviour would not be respectable in Oxfordshire!

Merry
23-11-12, 22:20
Thaks Kate :)

lol Shona! I agree about the thrill - its why we keep on looking - you just never know when something will come along!

I love John Milloy's ad :D

Kit
24-11-12, 08:38
I found my latest breakthrough in the newspapers too, but not on FMP. It is wonderful to find a missing link there in black and white.

ElizabethHerts
24-11-12, 15:56
Finally! I haven't been getting on well with the search, but I have just found an article dated 1833 advertising the sale of land under the terms of the Will of Joseph Jeffcoat, my ancestor, who died in 1806.

"ELIGIBLE
FREEHOLD ESTATE
IN THE COUNTY OF BUCKS.
___
To be Sold by Auction, by
Mr. GOMME
AT THE CROWN INN, AYLESBURY,
On SATURDAY, JULY 13, 1833
at Two o’clock, in Two Lots,
By Order of the Trustees under the Will of the late
Mr. JOSEPH JEFFCOAT;

COMPRISING 20 Acres of Superior Arable and Meadow Land, Four Cottages and a Hay Barn, desirably situate in Waddesdon and Waddesdon Hill, in the County of Bucks, in the occupation of Mr. Ballard and others, Tenants at Will, at low Rents producing £52 per Annum.

The Property is bounded by Lands belonging to the Duke of Marlborough, Reverend Leigh Cooke, Mr Rose, and the Cranwell Estate; it adjoins good Roads, commands fine Views of the Country, and as eligible healthy situation for the erection of a Villa or Hunting Box, and many other purposes of profit and advantage.

May be viewed by applying to the Tenants where Particulars may be had; also at the Marlborough Arms, Waddesdon; Green Dragon, Haddenham; Bell, Winslow; Crown, Thame; Crown, Bicester; White Hart, Buckingham; Red Lion, Wendover; Bull, Holborn; Place of Sale; R. H. Lane, Esq., Solicitor, No. 29, Argyle-street, Oxford-street, London; and of W. H. Marshal, Esq., Solicitor, and J. R. GOMME, Surveyor and Estate Agent, both of Chesham, Bucks."

So he did own land. When I went to the RO with Julie in June I was trying to discover where his farm was at Upper Winchendon which he states in his will he rented from the Duke of Marlborough.

I knew he had a cottage at Waddesdon as that is mentioned in his will. His will is almost 3,200 words long, so I'll have to read it again!

Nell
24-11-12, 17:19
Merry

It's always good to find records for our humbler ancestors that don't involve being criminals! I've found a few of my ag labs listed as tenants in newspaper notices of auctions, which has given me a few pieces of information such as how many acres they had, or that one of them had a shed which he used as a workshop.

maggie_4_7
24-11-12, 17:22
Bother I don't have a sub and you can't view them with credits.

Is it pretty much the same as the British Library archives.

kiterunner
24-11-12, 17:26
Yes, it's just the same stuff, Maggie, only the search screen is different.

ElizabethHerts
24-11-12, 17:34
I'd found quite a few things, but mainly for the rarer names on my tree, because the search was easier, but I decided to try and see if there was anything available for one of my two Smith lines.......

I knew that my 5xg-grandfather, William Smith was a carrier, as this was recorded on his son's Quaker marriage cert in 1786. I also knew William (who wasn't a Quaker) was dead by this date and had a likely burial record from Dec 1782, but with such a common name I couldn't be sure it was the right person.

*drum roll* :D

Thanks to the FMP database I now know I did have the right burial because.....

lol Good to know he was punctual or he wouldn't have been respectable!!

I also found a notice from 1757 announcing that The Rev Dr Randolph, vice chancellor of Oxford University, had appointed William Smith of Burford as licenced carrier of letters etc between various towns in the county of Oxfordshire.

There were other notices before 1757 where he was described as a 'common carrier'.

I never expected to find such things about him :):):) So, very chuffed :D

I'm so pleased you found this, Merry, because for some families you don't expect to find anything.

I haven't found anything pre-1800 yet, though I keep hoping!

maggie_4_7
24-11-12, 17:53
Yes, it's just the same stuff, Maggie, only the search screen is different.

Thank you.

I hate to miss out :D

Mary from Italy
27-11-12, 12:26
I haven't found anything pre-1800 yet, though I keep hoping!

Try replacing the letter "s" with an "f". It works with some 18c records.

Vicwinann
07-12-12, 12:32
Some of the things that I have found about a certain Frederick Wickens b 1833 of Tilehurst, my great grandaunt, Priscilla Sellwood's husband, shocked me. He was by all accounts a nasty peice of work. He beat his wife amongst other things which led to court appearances, and in 1897 a petition/memorial was handed in to the Reading Court after one incident "numerously signed by inhabitants of Tilehurst, who appeared to be terrorized by the defendant."

ElizabethHerts
09-12-12, 08:38
Finally I have found some pre-1800 entries relating to my family.

My 5x great-grandfather, Keith Catto, lived in the Gosport area and was obviously involved in shipping. The "Hampshire Chronicle" reports arrivals and departures, with the shipowner's name.

The interesting thing is that his ships are obviously named after his children. I am descended from his daughter Jane Catto, and he named a ship after her and one of his sons, Alexander.

Nell
02-01-13, 15:49
I've found lots of different things - mainly sad, like inquest reports, and a gt gt gt uncle found guilty of child neglect, some of ex's ancestors being declared bankrupt, but they all throw a bit of light on our history.

Sue at the seaside
06-01-13, 22:16
I've not found much, but have just stumbled on this

"While Mr Frederick Ransom Pickard, 36-year-old dental surgeon of Cockfosters Road, Hadley, Herts, was experimenting with an newly-invented gas apparatus which had not previously used, accidentally gassed himself. This was disclosed at the inquest at Southgate"

Is it wrong that it made me smile?

He's my 3rd cousin twice removed (according to the calculator on ancestry)