PDA

View Full Version : Henry Alt MMF

tenterfieldjulie
23-11-12, 06:27
Name: Henry Alt
Date and place of birth: Reg. No. 14212 Yass NSW on 16 August 1860 at the Galway Arms Inn, (his father licensee) located at the junction of Hume Highway and road to Wargeila, two kilometres south of Yass on the left hand side of the road. His mother Elizabeth died when he was 6 months old; 12 months later his father married Martha Crossley who reared him. His father Christopher died when Henry was 13; 6 months later his stepmother married James Frederick Mote.
Names of parents: Christoph Alt and Elizabeth Jeffrey (Jaffrey)
Date and place of baptism: Unknown
Marriage: Sarah Alice Lett on 21 June 1887 in St. Michael's Church of England, Surry Hills, Sydney.
Occupation(s): Worked in the Family Hotel at Yass until 22, then joined the Railway. His obituary states: "Our little community was intensely grieved to hear that our much esteemed Railway Station Master, Mr. Henry Alt, had departed this life after a brief illness. He was in the railway service for 17 years, during the last 9 of which he had occupied the post of Stationmaster here. He was an indefatigable hardworking official; and indeed before his health failed him, he performed for several years the work of two good men on this station in all kinds of weather, the elements having been totally disregarded by him while a duty had to be fulfilled. His aim was ever to keep the working expenses of the station at the lowest possible ebb, hence the department will lose by his death a faithful and economic servant and one who was worthy of the very great confidence reposed in him. It is to be hoped that the Railway Commissioners will bear in mind the good deeds of so excellent an offical by making some provision for his wife and young family."
Military service: Nil
Addresses where they lived: Galway Arms Inn 2 klms from Yass; at 3 years moved to a farm at Fairy Hole Creek 3 kms from Yass; at 8 years moved to Yass Hotel in Yass where he continued to live and work until he was 22; he then followed his stepbrothers into the Railway, joining on 1/2/1883, 8 months later he was stationed at Wingello; Living at Surry Hills (Sydney) at marriage in 1887; Appointed Officer-in-Charge Woodstock Feb 1888 - salary 130 pounds per annum plus 10/- per week in lieu of residence. In June 1891 his salary is 140 pounds plus rent and postal allowance of 56 pounds per annum. In 1894 a comfortable brick station master's residence was built adjacent to the station where family moved and rent allowance stopped. He was interested in mining and Sarah sold his share after his death for a 25% profit.
Date, place and cause of death: 8 May 1897 at Woodstock Reg. No. 4514 Cowra (I have his death certificate which I need to find)
Date and place of burial: May 1897 at Woodstock Cemetery on top of the hill in an isolated place
Details of will: "This is the last Will and Testament of me Henry Alt of Woodstock in the Colony of New South Wales, Railway Station Master. I appoint Sarah Alice Alt, my dear wife and John Alt, Station Master Gordon Railway Station to be the Executors and Trustees of this my Will" etc (normal legal jargon with no personal details) Sgd Henry Alt, Station Master, Woodstock 20/9/96. Probate granted to Sarah Alice Alt 3 June 1897. Estate sworn under 483 pounds.
Memorial inscription:
In Loving Memory of
(Lily of the Valley Symbol)
HENRY ALT
LATE STATION MASTER WOODSTOCK
DIED MAY 8TH 1897
AGED 36 YEARS
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
ERECTED BY HIS WIFE

Children: Alt - Albert Henry b 1888 Surry Hills, Sydney; Born Woodstock: Elizabeth "Ivy" 1889, Anna Maud 1891, Oscar Ralph Jeffrey 1893; Jeanette 1895-1896.

Sources: Quite a lot of information is taken from "Christopher Alt of Yass" by the late Ron Alt. I have visited his set apart headstone and have photos.