PDA

View Full Version : Help finding Hugh McGlary in 1901, please

Shona
22-11-12, 09:53
Hugh is the brother of my great-grandfather, John McGlary.

1891 census

Gardener's Cottage, Wemyss Bay, Renfrewshire
John McGlary, 31, head, gardener, b Greenock
Janet McGlary, 23, wife, born Kilmarnock
John McGlary, 4, son, born Skelmorlie (my ggf)
Hugh McGlary, 1, son, born Inverkip
Mary Higgins, 24, visitor, domestic servant, born Glasgow

Janet appears as Jess/Jessie in some records.

I've struggled to find John and Hugh in 1901. Only v recently did I discover John McGlarey in 1901 as a 15-year-old 'inmate' on the Mars Training Ship, anchored in the River Tay. The ship took destitute, orphaned and vagrant boys - some had committed minor of fences (eg, stealing food) - and taught them a skill and provided education. However, I can't find Hugh on the Mars.

John and Hugh's mother lost a baby daughter, Margaret, in April 1892. The boys father died in September 1892. Their mother lost another baby daughter, also called Margaret in 1894 (under one year).

Margaret remarried in 1899 - to Patrick McGrattan - a carter. They married in Greenock. After Patrick died, she married a butcher named Samuel Corrigan. The couple lived in Glasgow.

Hugh McGlary died in 1924 at the age of 34.

Can anyone find Hugh in 1901, please?

This query relates to my 1xggp posting.

kiterunner
22-11-12, 11:18
What are the counties for their birthplaces, please, Shona? (I know Glasgow is Lanarkshire but the other ones?)

Shona
22-11-12, 11:33
Inverkip - Renfrewshire
Greenock - Renfrewshire
Skelmorlie - Renfrewshire - sometimes Ayrshire
Kilmarnock - Ayrshire

kiterunner
22-11-12, 12:50
Margaret remarried in 1899 - to Patrick McGrattan - a carter. They married in Greenock. After Patrick died, she married a butcher named Samuel Corrigan. The couple lived in Glasgow.

Is this Janet from the 1891 census entry that you posted up? And if so, have you found her with her new husband but without Hugh on the 1901?

Shona
22-11-12, 13:28
I have noted this 1891 census record:
2 Harvie Lane, Greenock
Thomas McGratten, head, 76, stone quarryman, born Ireland
Mary McGratten, wife, 62, born Skelmorlie
Patrick McGratten, son, 40, widower, carter, born Port Glasgow

Shona
22-11-12, 13:29
Is this Janet from the 1891 census entry that you posted up? And if so, have you found her with her new husband but without Hugh on the 1901? Yes - that was meant to be Janet.

kiterunner
22-11-12, 13:50
Sorry, I'm still confused - is the Patrick on that census record (1901?) the same one who was married to Janet? If so then he can't have been a widower if she remarried after he died? So had they split up by 1901 and he was just calling himself a widower? In which case we need to find Janet in 1901 as well, don't we? Or have you found her already?

Shona
22-11-12, 14:27
1899 marriage in Greenock

Patrick McGrattan, 35, contractor's carter, widower, and Jessie McGlary, 35, widow. According to the Roman Catholic Church. His parents are named as Thomas McGrattan, quarrier, and Mary, née ?????.

So it is the correct Patrick on the 1901 census.

Janet/Jessie died on 26 April 1921 at the Royal Infirmary. On this record, she is Jessie Corrigan - married to John McGlary, gardener, Samuel Corrigan, butcher. Informant, Hugh McGlary, son, Kelvindale Road, Glasgow. No mention of Patrick McGrattan.

I haven't found Janet/Jessie in 1901.

kiterunner
22-11-12, 14:51
Hugh is coming up on Findmypast as Hugh McGlery age 9 boarder / scholar in an institution in Lanarkshire (Smyllum Orphanage). I'll see if I can find him on ancestry...

kiterunner
22-11-12, 14:54
Ah yes, listed as Hugh Mc Glery with a space in the middle of his surname on ancestry! In Smyllum Orphanage, Lanark, Lanarkshire, age 9, boarder, scholar, born "Inverkirk, Renfrewshire" according to ancestry but Inverkip on FMP.

kiterunner
22-11-12, 15:14
All this time I have never been able to get the birthplace search to work for the Scottish censuses on ancestry, and now I have finally realised you can put it in the "keyword" field!

Shona
22-11-12, 15:46
Fantastic - thank you so much. Really appreciate your help. How did I miss McGlery as a variant?

The discovery is tinged with sadness, though. Smyllum orphanage is notorious in Scotland for the abuse and ill-treatment that the children suffered at the hands of the nuns who were meant to care for them. Looks as if my ggf, John McGlary, had the better deal being placed on the Mars training ship. The regime there was tough, but not cruel.

Yes, you can put a place name in the key word field on Ancestry.