PDA

View Full Version : Action for affiliation and aliment

Shona
20-11-12, 18:21
These questions relate to my earlier posting today on the 1 x great grandparent thread.

In 1866, Duncan McIsaac, had a son, Malcolm, with Janet (Jeanie/Jennie) Sheddan.

I have a copy of legal papers from the National Archives of Scotland relating to Malcolm:

'Janet Sheddan, residing at Charlotteton, Killean and Kilkenzie, v Duncan McIsaac, farm servant, residing at Barlea, 1866, action for affiliation and aliment.'

The papers summon Duncan McIsaac to appear in court in order to establish aliment in respect of the costs of the birth and to provide for the child until the child is aged seven. The sum Duncan is asked to pay is £1 10s a quarter.

In 1871, Malcolm McIsaac is living with his grandmother, great-aunt and family, although he is described as 'cousin'.

Paisley farm, Killean
Mary McCaffer, 64, head, retired farmer
Neil McCaffer, 26, son, ag lab
Margaret McCaffer, 22, daughter, teamster (?)
Catherine McCuaig, 12, grand daughter, scholar
Mary McIsaac, 63, sister, shepherd's wife*
Malcolm McIsaac, 5, cousin

* She is actually widowed at this time.

Janet is with her father and young stepmother at the farm of Charlotteton in 1871. She is single. Janet, died at the age of 29 in 1876. She is described as single.

When Malcolm later married, his parents were decribed as Duncan McIsaac and Janet nee Sheddan (deceased).

I have several questions relating to Malcolm and his parents:
1) I haven't found a birth record for Malcolm under the name McIsaac or Sheddan (and variants) in the area. As Janet was the daughter of a fairly well-off farmer from Ayrshire, could she have been sent away for the birth of her illegitimate son? I have looked elsewhere, but no luck tracking down a birth.
2) In spite of legal papers summoning Duncan to appear in court regarding maintenance, did this go through? How can I find out? Malcolm is not with his mother in 1871, but with his father's family, which implies that the court case may not have gone ahead.
3) How does £1 10s a quarter relate to the average agricultural labourer's wage in the 1860s and 1870s.
4) Did Duncan run away to America to avoid paying aliment, as I was told by older members of my family when I was a young lass. I can't find any record of this, although Duncan's obit in the local papers says he did go to America. One of my late great-uncles told me he had the idea Duncan was quite young when he went to America.
5) Was Malcolm 'saving face' when he implies his father and mother were married?

I have pondered over this questions for some time and would appreciate any hints, views, opinions, etc, please.

kiterunner
20-11-12, 18:29
What is Malcolm's birth place on the censuses, Shona?

kiterunner
20-11-12, 18:51
Never mind, I had a look at ancestry's transcription and they say Killean, Argyllshire for the 1871 census. If you search on Scotland's People for births of a Malcolm McIsaac in Argyll 1865-1867 there is one match, and we can narrow it down to 1865 but it is in North Knapdale. Have you ruled that one out?

Shona
20-11-12, 19:29
Back from kitchen duties. I had ruled the Knapdale one out because of the middle name Sinclair - and because it was in North Knapdale.

JBee
20-11-12, 19:58
Sinclair might be a family name ie grandparent and she may have been staying in North Knapdale at the time of birth.

I couldn't see a birth on family search but have had luck in the past with the Kirk Sessions demanding the parents to come before them for admonishment.

Shona
20-11-12, 20:21
Janet was born in Kilwinning in Ayrshire, as was her father. The Sheddans were English-speaking Lowlanders who were 'planted' into Gaelic-speaking Kintyre. I imagine it would have caused a bit of a scandal for the farmer's daughter to get pregnant by an illiterate Gaelic-speaking agricultural labourer. I haven't found anything in the Kirk
Session records for Killean, though.

kiterunner
20-11-12, 21:45
I had a look on ancestry for any trace of Duncan's visit to America but found nothing.

Shona
20-11-12, 21:50
I had a look on ancestry for any trace of Duncan's visit to America but found nothing.
Thanks for looking - appreciate you trying. The brick wall appears intact.

Olde Crone
20-11-12, 21:55
I'm not sure if the same applies in Scotland, but my English farming lot were very laid back about illegitimate births and were in a position not to give two hoots about what anyone else in the community thought.

It's unlikely that a fairly well off farmer would want his daughter to marry some ag lab chancer just because he gave the daughter a baby - but he would want the said scoundrel to pay up!

OC

Shona
20-11-12, 22:15
Lol, OC - ditto my farming stock. Loads of 'natural' births compared to 'lawful' births.

kiterunner
20-11-12, 22:43
When Malcolm later married, his parents were decribed as Duncan McIsaac and Janet nee Sheddan (deceased).

5) Was Malcolm 'saving face' when he implies his father and mother were married?

I imagine he was asked his parents' names and said, "Duncan McIsaac and Janet Sheddan", and the person who filled the form in assumed that they were married and wrote it out accordingly. Because in Scotland (as you know) it was quite normal for a married woman to use her maiden name, so I would think people often gave their parents' names in that way.

But of course it could be that Malcolm pretended they were married when they weren't.