PDA

View Full Version : martha furber /Thomas Oakes -Garston

garstonite
15-11-12, 08:26
Good morning...a little help please
whilst trying to find another family member - Oakes in Garston...I have discovered
Daniel Oakes married Ann Evason 1871 Liverpool city center
Ann Oakes died 8th jan 1873 at Love Lane ,Kidderminster
Daniel Oakes re marries june qtr 1874 at our local church ,St Michaels,Garston to Mary Ann Merrick ....
1881 census has Daniel .Mary with eldest son Thomas Walter Oakes b 1874
NO birth for Thomas Oakes Liverpool 1874
Thomas Walter MERRICK b jan qtr 1874 ,,,so ...if Ann died jan 1873 - there was no reason why Daniel / Mary couldn`t have married if Mary was pregnant with Thomas Walter - this leads me to believe that Thomas wasn`t Daniels son ....if so ....
Thomas Walter Oakes married Martha Furber 1903 at St Michaels ,Garston

can anyone find any children of Thomas and Martha 1903-1911 ? can`t find any with Oakes /Furber at all
thanks
allan

kiterunner
15-11-12, 08:40
On the 1911 census they say they have had no children born alive.

garstonite
15-11-12, 08:48
OK...Thanks...I couldn`t find any so that confirmation closes this thread...Thanks again Kiterunner....on Lancsbmd the marriage states Martha Furber ....no middle name ...this leads me to believe Martha Furber b 1873 Chester on freebmd to be the most likely
Martha Furber registered Chester Cathedral on cheshirebmd 1873 could be the Martha in my tree ...would you agree ?? ...if so - I will look for her baptism and parents...just to make a note of them ...cheers
allan

kiterunner
15-11-12, 09:02
On the 1911 census her birthplace is Losford, Shropshire. Age 35. Google says that Losford was a township in the parish of Hodnet. Hodnet is near Market Drayton. So I don't think she would be the one you mention.

garstonite
15-11-12, 09:11
Ooh thanks ...I will see if I can find her baptism...cheers...allan

ADDED...would Martha Helen Furber mar qtr 1876 Wem 6a 79 fit the bill ?
only one 1874-1877 in Shropshire ? on freebmd

kiterunner
15-11-12, 09:24
If she was born in Hodnet, the registration should be in Whitchurch district so it depends on whether the birthplace is correct I suppose.

garstonite
15-11-12, 09:26
Thanks for all your help Kiterunner ...it is appreciated.....allan

kiterunner
15-11-12, 09:27
I'm not sure why you say that Lancs BMD doesn't give a middle name for Martha on the marriage? It says Martha E Furber, doesn't it?

kiterunner
15-11-12, 09:28
Ah, and on FreeBMD it says Martha Ellen Furber! (For the marriage record) Sounds like Martha Helen!

kiterunner
15-11-12, 09:32
Martha E Furber age 15 born Losford is a servant of a family called Davies in Loppington, Shropshire, on the 1891 census. I haven't managed to find the right Martha in 1881 (yet).

garstonite
15-11-12, 09:48
Sincere apologies...I have just checked my tree ...and I do have Martha E Furber down ......full of flu ...heads not right ....thanks ....allan

kiterunner
15-11-12, 09:51
Also have a read through this, Allan:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/archive/index.php/t-58080.html?

garstonite
15-11-12, 10:04
Well I certainly don`t remember that thread ...spent an hour this morning on Thomas /Daniel /Mary and then Martha Furber ....so it looks like she went by the name Ellen Furber according to census return ...thanks Kiterunner ....I am cracking up ....full of flu - so time on my hands - researching someone I have already researched 4 years ago.....definitely losing it ...lol
allan

kiterunner
15-11-12, 10:13
Well, the 1911 census wasn't available then, so you do have some new info now.

SAgirl
15-11-12, 11:05
Hey there Allan. I thought the same as you about Thomas Walter being not Daniel's. Found a baptism for Thomas Walter Merrick, son of Mary, on 5th April 1874 at St Michael's Garston. No father. Sure fits the theory.

I also had Ellen Furber on that census as to be our Martha. I believe her father was Thomas and her mother Elizabeth. Plan on getting that birth cert and the marriage cert to confirm.

garstonite
15-11-12, 12:06
Hiya Anette...so I am not cracking up ...lol...as Kiterunner says...1911 census wasn`t available then in January 2009.....did you get that info from familysearch re Thomas Walter Merrick 5th April 1874 in St Michaels,Garston ?....this does bring a new light to my research now....I have always thought that Ann Evason and Mary Ann Merrick were somehow related - or - were good friends ...Daniel went to Kidderminster to be with his wife Ann when she died ..and Mary Ann Merrick came to Garston to be with Daniel ...BUT ...could Mary Ann Merrick already have been living in Garston ...if so - who with ?...she went back to Herefordshire when Daniel died with her remaining unmarried daughter Sarah Oakes ...who married her brother in law...the husband of her recently deceased sister Beatrice Oakes ....why would Mary Ann leave her other 8 children in Garston ?...I do know her father left her a nice big house ...which is still standing ..very curious now ...was Mary Ann Merrick already pregnant in Garston when she met Daniel ???...
allan:confused:

kiterunner
15-11-12, 12:45
Do you have details of Mary Ann's parents, Allan? For instance, her father's name from her marriage certificate?

garstonite
15-11-12, 13:47
Yes Kiterunner...go back to 1650`s with the Merrick family

Mary Ann Merrick b 1852 Ocle Pychard ,Herefordshire

father Edward Merrick b 1828 Norton Canon ,Herefordshire
mother Ann Taylor b 1822 Dilwyn,Herefordshire

married 15th february 1849 Dilwyn,Herefords

allan

SAgirl
15-11-12, 23:35
Allan they have the parish records on Ancestry so got it there. I have a theory that maybe Mary Ann was pregnant and left the family and moved to Garston where she met Daniel. She lived in Hughes st at the time of the baptism.

garstonite
16-11-12, 06:57
So why Garston ? ...why not Liverpool itself ?...Garston didn`t become part of Liverpool until 1906 ....all Garston had then was a Copper works and a Bobbin works and the docks...I am going to see if there was Merrick family in Garston 1861 and 1871 census...may be a clue if there is ...
allan

garstonite
16-11-12, 07:12
OK...Merrick family in Woolton 2 miles away ...
b 16th april 1872 Minnie Merrick - parents George and Elizabeth
twins Thomas and George b 6th july 1873 ....George and Elizabeth...Woolton was and is quite posh ...property in Garston would have been much cheaper to rent ...so ...did Mary Ann come to Garston to help Elizabeth with 3 children born within 15 months...must have been hard for Elizabeth...checking 1881 census ...
Hmm ...George born Ormskirk ,Lancashire ...not Herefordshire....back to the drawing board
allan

SAgirl
16-11-12, 07:17
Good thinking. Let me know what you find.