PDA

View Full Version : Robina Turner Graham

Phoenix
13-11-12, 13:12
Another Scottish enquiry!

Robina married in 1854, mere weeks before civil registration started, so the only clue to her parents is on her death certificate.:(
That gives father as William Graham, sawyer, deceased and mother's details unknown.:(

Censuses after her marriage show her as born Dumfries c 1837.

There are two candidates in the 1841 census: Robina, aged 4, living with Mary Hamilton (old enough to be an aunt)

Robina, aged 4, in the family of Robert Graham & Margaret nee Hamilton. Robert is an ostler.

Jiggling Scotland's People, there is a marriage of Robert Graham & Margaret Hamilton in Feb 1835 in Dumfries and they have five children, including Robina in 1837. (No middle name)

According to Family Search (supported by Scotland's People!) a Rubina Turner Graham is baptised in Troqueer, Kidcudbright in 1835. Her parents are Robert Graham & Margaret Hamilton. She seems to be the only child of those parents there.

Sooo

Does Rubina die as a baby?
Are Robina's parents Robert & Margaret not William & ??
Is Robina down twice in the 1841 census?

Robina's husband was a William, so if she called him "Father" I can understand generational confusion creeping in.

I think I have found Robina in 1851, but she is a servant away from home.

Help, suggestions, encouragement needed!!!

Asa
13-11-12, 16:21
I would think that Robina and Rubina are the same - Troqueer is in Dumfries is it? Robinas are often daughters of Roberts.

I think if I were you, I'd be investigating the names of Robina's children, how likely the informant on Robina's death cert was to have known Robina's father and seeing if there is a Turner amongst Robert Graham or Margaret Hamilton's close family - although I know it doesn't always follow. And see if you can connect Margaret and Mary Hamilton?

Phoenix
13-11-12, 16:53
I tend to agree, Asa. One of Robina's children was Robert Graham Glendinning, which in my eyes strengthens the case.

And I need to brush up my geography: I hadn't realised that Troqueer and Dumfries are like Southwark & London.

The Hamiltons may be a little harder:)

Shona
13-11-12, 17:29
Agree - if Robina named one of her children Robert Graham Glendinning, that would point to Robert and Margaret being her parents.

Could Margaret Hamilton and Mary Hamilton have been sisters who both named daughters Robina because it was a family first name? And what of Turner? A maiden name of a gandmother?

I have found the following in 1841 in Dumfries:
George Turner, 46
John Turner, 17
Wilhelmin Turner, 14
James Turner, 11
Robinia Turner, 7

No proof the families are linked, of course.

Troqueer used to be in Kirkudbright, now a suburb of Dumfries.

Phoenix
13-11-12, 20:52
*purrs* I have just found Mary Glendinning, granddaughter with Margaret Graham in 1871 in Dumfries

*punching fist emoticon!*

Shona
13-11-12, 21:02
*purrs* I have just found Mary Glendinning, granddaughter with Margaret Graham in 1871 in Dumfries

*punching fist emoticon!*

Chuffed for you. Love that eureka moment.

Phoenix
13-11-12, 21:59
Thanks, Shona! I'm finding it hard to get my head round Scottish research. The family appear to disappear into a black hole in 1881 - I think there must be some missing pieces on the census. But if it were easy it would be boring.

Asa
14-11-12, 05:51
Brilliant. I have a group of apparent siblings whose children give the same father but three different names for the mother on death certificates who died when they were young.