PDA

View Full Version : Two questions about Scotland's People

Merry
11-11-12, 20:15
Research for a friend so nothing added to BK6

1) Do I have to buy more credits to re-activate the expired ones I have?

2) I'm looking for a birth (1920-1930) and I know the surname and first forename and another two initials, but I don't know what the two initials stand for. If I search the surname and first forename only I get 20 matches. If I add the first of the other two initials (with "forenames that begin with") I get no matches. Does that mean the person wasn't registered in Scotland within that time frame or does it mean I'm not doing it right? :o

Olde Crone
11-11-12, 20:18
!. Yes, you have to buy more credits to activate your dormant ones.

2. The person may not have been registered with the middle names. My Scots had a nasty habit of registering one name, then adding another, either after baptism, or after having a look round the family and working out who needed sucking up to......

OC

Merry
11-11-12, 20:24
1) Thanks OC

2) Bother! Thanks OC

HarrysMum
11-11-12, 20:49
My Scots added second names and changed their first names often. Usually kept the surname though if that's any help.....lol

Who are you looking for?

Merry
11-11-12, 21:01
Someone called Douglas C E Cooper. I know he died in 1971/2 in Taiwan. There's no death reg in the overseas registrations for Eng/Wales. I don't know he was a Scott, but given there's no apparent birth reg in Eng/Wales it was just my next port of call given his first name! He married in Eng/Wales and had a child here, but those people are alive, so not going into details here.

JBee
11-11-12, 22:30
Wonder if there's any vouchers available for scotlandspeople.

Think Scottish Heritage did one not long ago. Anyone??

kiterunner
11-11-12, 22:37
Yes, you can order vouchers by post from SP, Julie:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?1309

JBee
11-11-12, 23:02
I meant free credits Kite

Not sure if this still applies but if you sign up for newsletter with ancestral scotland I think they give you 10 credits - which should re-activate any credits you already have.

http://www.ancestralscotland.com/signup/register/.

Mary from Italy
12-11-12, 01:13
It does reactivate them, I've done that before.

Kit
12-11-12, 01:24
I once logged on to SP, did a search to see if anything looked likely before I bought more credits. I forgot and clicked to look at the record. It was only afterwards I realised it had let me use expired credits without buying more. I think I ended up buying 2 wills and a birth record all with expired credits.