PDA

View Full Version : Slomans of Cove

tenterfieldjulie
11-11-12, 09:20
My Slomans are living up to their name ... the baptisms of the children of John and Deborah Sloman have been extremely slow to be found. Up until recently we knew of Mary born 1788, James 1790, John 1792 and the youngest Samuel .. baptism not found. The baptisms were at Tiverton Cove in Devon which is found registered just as Cove. Now we have been told that the 9th child was Sarah born 2/10/1803 bpt 19th... Help ... Can anyone shed light on this ...... please...

Merry
11-11-12, 09:27
Now we have been told that the 9th child was Sarah born 2/10/1803 bpt 19th.

Can't the person who gave you this info say where they got it? :)

tenterfieldjulie
11-11-12, 09:37
I'm really hoping he will Merry. I got the info 2nd hand and I have emailed him but have not had a reply .. I do hope that he will reply soon, but I was hoping that the information from Cove might be available somewhere else .. other than the RO at Exeter..

HarrysMum
11-11-12, 20:44
Julie......have you tried Devon FH?

FMP doesn't have any pre about 1810.

tenterfieldjulie
11-11-12, 22:27
Hi Libby, I emailed Devon FH in Oct 2010 .. I didn't receive a reply .. and I don't like to be pushy lol ..
I did have help from a kind lady around that time who found John's baptism and she suggested when I am next in UK to go to Kew or Barnstaple .. always too much to try and fit in is the trouble. I was in Exeter on a Sunday night which was very frustrating too.

kiterunner
11-11-12, 22:35
There is info about how to order copies of microfiche from Devon RO here, and it says all the PR's are going to become available on FMP in the next couple of years, if you can wait that long:

http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/councildemocracy/record_office/services_policies/photocopying/copying_parish_registers.htm

tenterfieldjulie
11-11-12, 22:56
Thanks Kate .. that is very helpful ..
I think I will just have to be patient and hope I get a reply to my email. How he knows there are 9 children is what is puzzling me, unless he has a private family record.
I know that the microfilm is extremely hard to read and I could buy it and still not be able to read it.
If I don't hear back this year .. I will then reconsider options as your post suggests.