PDA

View Full Version : Family Search versus ScotlandsPeople

Rusty
09-11-12, 19:23
I have found my great grandmother's birth on Family Search, it gives her date of birth and parents names and the place where she was born in 1848. Does anyone know if I am likely to get any more information from the ScotlandsPeople website?

Thanks

Margaret

JBee
09-11-12, 19:58
Chances are you won't get anything else - just see the original page from the parish records.

Rusty
09-11-12, 20:27
Thank you Julie, I rather suspected that would be the case, I'll save my money!

Margaret.

Shona
09-11-12, 21:04
But if you come across a record post-1855, there will be lots of additional info.

kiterunner
09-11-12, 21:52
Sometimes the image on Scotland's People does indeed give you more info, such as the father's occupation and residence, and the names of witnesses. The only way to find out for sure is to view it, though.

Rusty
10-11-12, 05:35
Thanks Shona and Kiterunner, the birth took place in Coldstream so probably no address as such and I know that the father was a Mason, perhaps looking for the parents marriage record would prove a more fruitful exercise.

Margaret.

JBee
10-11-12, 08:15
Actually getting certificates after 1855 is fantastic as they usually include both their parent's names including maiden names on birth, marriage and deaths (if known).

Could try getting the death certificates of either the parents after 1855. Often but not always the statutory birth record (after 1855) gives the date of the parent's marriage too

Unfortunately for you the statutory records didn't come in until 1855 and for that year only a lot more info was provided - but still 1856 onwards provides so much - pity they didn't start statutory records in 1837 it would have made my research a lot easier.

OPR's are very hit and miss and you might be lucky with added info but I had a quick look at a couple of my OPR births and they didn't give anything except the parents names - no occupation, no address. I'll send you a couple of examples if you like so you can see.

merleyone
10-11-12, 08:36
It is always worth seeing the image of the original document. I already knew my 4xgt grandparents married in Coldstream in January 1810 and that the groom was a Mason. However, when I viewed the image of the relevant register page on Scotlands People, I found the marriage entry, showing they had 'married irregularly on 21 Jany 1810', bracketted by two other marriages in November 1810. The entry gave no location for the marriage 10 months earlier, which may have been on Coldstream bridge, a noted place for such events, but was certainly not in the kirk. The birth and imminent baptism of their firstborn recorded as their 'lawful son' in the baptism register at Coldstream in November 1810, had almost certainly precipitated the marriage register entry a few days earlier and that evidences the regularising of their marriage. Without sight of these images on Scotlands People, I would have remained unaware of their irregular marriage.

merleyone

Rusty
10-11-12, 09:49
Thank you Merleyone and Julie, I've got more family up there so it would be worth my while buying some credits and I see that they last a year now too. Yes please Julie could you please send me an example, I'll pm you with my e-mail.

Margaret.