PDA

View Full Version : Wow!

ElizabethHerts
08-11-12, 11:16
When we went to Lincolnshire Archives I didn't have time to look at everthing on my list.

There was a book (out of print) I wanted to consult:

Hemswell 1086-1901
(ISBN 10: 090468041X / ISBN 13: 9780904680416 )
Binnall, Peter B.G.

I found a second-hand copy on Abe Books and it has just arrived. I have only been looking at it for 5 minutes but it mentions the will of George Wood and how his land passed to John and Newbourne Wood! It also says that the Wood family was an old Harpswell family (next village) and had come to Hemswell when John Wood married Sarah Gawthorpe!! It says that John must have then built the house still bearing his initials near the church, where Newbourne Wood was living in 1792.

(The latter is incorrect because the Wood family had moved to Scotton by that time, but Newbourn probably still owned the house.)

I wonder what other gems are in it!

kiterunner
08-11-12, 11:22
That's that one that was on Google books with snippet view only, isn't it, Elizabeth? I remember seeing the bit about the initials on there but it was very frustrating not being able to get the full page.

Kit
08-11-12, 12:01
Sounds like you are going to have great fun reading it!

ElizabethHerts
08-11-12, 12:19
Yes, Kate, I think so.

There is a lot on the Codds too, so I shall be busy this afternoon.

I wrote this half an hour ago and forgot to press the reply button!

Toni, it's fascinating reading. It's amazing how much history one small village has.

Merry
08-11-12, 12:46
How interesting. :)

Do you know if the house John Wood owned, with his initials on, is still in existence? I see there are a few listed buildings in Hemswell.

ElizabethHerts
08-11-12, 13:17
Merry, we visited Hemswell last month, but obviously I didn't know about the house then. If it is old it might well be a listed building. I really need to go back and have a better look. I would think it would still exist as the book was published in 1985 and I doubt anyone could demolish it.

Where did you find out about listed buildings, Merry?

We couldn't get in the church as it was locked, so next time we shall have to plan better.

ElizabethHerts
08-11-12, 13:26
The book says "... still bearing his initials on its east gable, to the east of Hemswell church, ..."

If you look on google maps and head to the right of the church, past a house, there is a house on the corner. If you look up I can see a W by the chimney - can someone else take a look and tell me what you think, please? It's right on the corner.

Merry
08-11-12, 13:43
Hmmmm.....I presume you mean the stone house with a brick chimney and a small window in the roof space just under the "W"?

I'm not sure - I was expecting a carved stone rather than what looks a bit like a metal wall tie, except I doubt there would be one positioned there. (there's an cross shaped wall tie on the south facing front of the house). Whoever allowed that row of windows to the roof space on the front should be shot!! :(

Given what you know from the book though, it does look like a definite candidate!

kiterunner
08-11-12, 13:48
Do you mean this one, Elizabeth? (and Merry!)

Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=hemswell+lincolnshire&hl=en&ll=53.407076,-0.600549&spn=0.001223,0.003484&sll=52.973361,-1.170062&sspn=0.157332,0.445976&hnear=Hemswell,+Lincolnshire,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.40697,-0.600579&panoid=SuCe4PYUw4q0A6a-tz4SPw&cbp=12,237.91,,0,-22.5)

ElizabethHerts
08-11-12, 13:50
That's the one, Kate. Is that a W above the window?

Merry
08-11-12, 14:08
Yes, that's the one I meant.

There's a sign on the outbuilding at the back which reads Clover Cottage. The address for Clover cottage is 4 Weldon Road and this is the Hemswell Conservation Area report for the house:

No 4 Weldon Road

Coursed stone, pantile roof.
Small pane casement windows wth red brick arches.
Large dormer window.
Single storey stone outbuilding to the north.
Pantile roof.
C17.

The description fits perfectly with the building we are looking at, but is it too old for John Wood?

ElizabethHerts
08-11-12, 14:11
Merry, it is only supposition that John Wood built it.

".. when he presumably built the house still bearing his initials..."

There were already some Woods in Hemswell, but whether they were relatives or not I don't know.

There is a map of listed buildings and buildings of interest:

http://www.lincshar.org/Data/Sites/1/media/conservationareaappraisals/westlindsey/hemswell.pdf

on page 5

I also have contact details so I might e-mail and see if someone can tell me more.

ElizabethHerts
08-11-12, 14:12
BTW, have you looked at the back of the house (really the front!). It's lovely. I'd love to claim it.:D

Merry
08-11-12, 14:15
There is a map of listed buildings and buildings of interest:

http://www.lincshar.org/Data/Sites/1...y/hemswell.pdf

on page 5

It's page 7 of that doc I was quoting from! :)

Merry
08-11-12, 14:16
BTW, have you looked at the back of the house (really the front!). It's lovely. I'd love to claim it.:D

Which? the side with the dreadful dormers? You will have to buy it and change them!!

ElizabethHerts
08-11-12, 14:19
Yes, but if you take those monstrosities out it's still lovely!

Merry
08-11-12, 14:19
lol The report agrees with me!!

Page 3:

At No 4 Weldon Road the materials and angle of the pitch of the dormer are in keeping, but the window is too large, making the building appear top heavy.

Merry
08-11-12, 14:20
Yes, but if you take those monstrosities out it's still lovely!

I agree!!! Is property cheaper there than Hertfordshire? :rolleyes:

kiterunner
08-11-12, 14:22
That's the one, Kate. Is that a W above the window?

It could well be. I can't get a clear look at the other side of the chimney to see if there is another initial, though, it's all blurry.

Merry
08-11-12, 16:03
I don't think there's anything there, but it might have been removed at some point. The W still looks like a wall tie!

Margaret in Burton
08-11-12, 16:31
It's either a W or intertwined hearts. :):):):)

ElizabethHerts
08-11-12, 16:42
It's either a W or intertwined hearts. :):):):)

What a lovely thought, Marg!