PDA

View Full Version : Sloman children

tenterfieldjulie
04-11-12, 11:07
I believe John Sloman (1728-1803) and Elizabeth Thomas (1728-1794) were married at Bampton in Devon (close to Somerset border) in 1754. Baptisms have been found for their children John in 1764 and Jenny 1767 at Bampton. With the 10 year gap between the marriage and John Jnr's baptism, I am wondering if anyone can find further children please?
John Sen was baptised at Tiverton, probably Cove, a few miles from Bampton, and Elizabeth born Bampton, both were buried in Bampton.
I wonder if he was a soldier for the British in the French/Indian War in the Americas? Timing is right!!

Shona
04-11-12, 15:37
I've had a good look through Sloman (and variants) births in Devon and Somerset with John and Elizabeth as parents. There are a number in Bishop's Tawton, but I don't think they are right because the birth dates clash with John and Jenny. I did find a Sarah born to John and Elizabeth Sloman in Exeter in 1759, but that's too far away.

Also checked Armed Forces records for births of any children, but there are no matches for that time period.

If he was a soldier, Elizabeth may have stayed at home. This could explain the gap between marrying and having children.

kiterunner
04-11-12, 15:51
He doesn't seem to be listed in the army service records on Findmypast.

Shona
04-11-12, 16:16
He doesn't seem to be listed in the army service records on Findmypast. I had a look at that, too, and drew a blank.

tenterfieldjulie
04-11-12, 20:25
Thanks for looking Kate and Shona.
I was thinking of possibilities:- the families appear to be ag labs and may have moved around; she might have had difficulties with births; and they could be change of life babies; but it just seems strange that there was a ten year gap and then two close together. At least I now know it isn't obvious .. thanks.

Phoenix
05-11-12, 17:13
Bear in mind that it is still the case that very little for Devon is online. Everything on Family Search is from transcripts, rather than original registers. Have you looked at DEVON FHS indexes? I do wonder whether Elizabeth died and John remarried to another Elizabeth or if there are a string of elder children baptised in another parish.

tenterfieldjulie
05-11-12, 19:50
Thanks Phoenix. Most information on the Slomans that I have found in Somerset, is through indexes done by individuals, but I haven't been so fortunate in Devon. Between the 1600s and 1800s the family moved between Tiverton in Devon and Milverton in Somerset and places in between. I haven't looked at the Devon FHS indexes. I have been meaning to join their FHS but got sidetracked lol. Thanks for the reminder.

tenterfieldjulie
06-11-12, 08:50
I've been looking at the email I had with the information about this family from someone who had access to the Bampton registers. I have found a 3rd child, Mary, baptised 8/3/1771. What I am now wondering is if anyone can find the marriage of John Sloman to Elizabeth Thomas at Bampton and whether the year should have been 1764 not 1754?