PDA

View Full Version : Who was Sarah Chapman's mother?

Langley Vale Sue
04-11-12, 10:01
My 3x G grandmother, Sarah Chapman, was born in Suffolk in about 1817 according to various census. Her birthplace has various spellings, but probably is Cooling/Cowlinge.

This is her thread.
Sarah Chapman (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8162&highlight=sarah+chapman)

On her marriage to Joseph Paines on 20 August 1837 at St Ann's Parish Church, Westminster she is described as a minor and her father is James Chapman, a coachsmith.
Sarah's address on the marriage is given as 'Rose Street' - although no number is given - and Joseph Paines' parents were living at 12 Rose Street at the time.
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1623&iid=31547_212681-00179&fn=Sarah&ln=Chapman&st=d&ssrc=&pid=10167818

I have looked at all the online resources I can think of (and have access to) and cannot find a baptism for Sarah, nor a marriage in Suffolk for a James Chapman in the Cooling/Cowlinge area.
Mary from Italy previously kindly found a baptism for a Sarah Chapman in Wood Ditton, Suffolk (about 5 miles from Cowlinge) on 5 Sept 1813 with parents John & Mary Chapman which I have pencilled in, but that doesn't tally with her being listed as a minor on her marriage in 1837.

I cannot see a marriage between a James Chapman and a Mary around that time & place though.

Can anyone find anything else please?

Merry
04-11-12, 10:57
On her marriage to James Paines

Joseph Paines!!

kiterunner
04-11-12, 11:09
There is a James Chapman baptised at Cowlinge 1805, parents John Chapman and Mary Bye Chapman. Could be a brother of the Sarah who was baptised at Wood Ditton? It has been known for a brother's name to appear instead of father on the marriage cert. A bit tenuous though!

Langley Vale Sue
04-11-12, 13:55
Joseph Paines!!

OOps :o

Too many Paines :(
I'll change it now :)

Langley Vale Sue
04-11-12, 14:02
There is a James Chapman baptised at Cowlinge 1805, parents John Chapman and Mary Bye Chapman. Could be a brother of the Sarah who was baptised at Wood Ditton? It has been known for a brother's name to appear instead of father on the marriage cert. A bit tenuous though!

I found that James Chapman (or rather Mary from Italy did :)) and he emigrated to Australia. On his death registration his mother is indeed shown as Mary Bye.

As Sarah's husband's father was James, maybe Sarah's father was listed as James on the marriage registration as well when he should have been John.

Probably never know now :confused:

kiterunner
04-11-12, 15:33
Maybe the Sarah born 1813 died young and they then had another Sarah.

Merry
04-11-12, 15:38
I noticed that both father's were recorded as coachsmiths on the marriage cert and that James Paines was a locksmith on the 1841 census. I wondered if the marrige of their children came about because the father's were connected through their work, which would probably mean James Chapman would have moved to London, not just his daughter.

I did find some Chapmans in Dean Street (the address given for Joseph Paines at marriage!) in 1841 (Wm and Maria and children) and wondered if they might be connected to the other Chapmans. Sadly I have been unable to find this couple on any other census to find out where William came from, but he said 'Not Born in County' in 1841. Obviously this is a super long shot!

Merry
04-11-12, 15:42
Oh, I've just remembered (I did this earlier on!!) - after I'd spent ages looking for Wm and Maria in 1851 I saw that Dean St in 1841 may well have actually been Bean St as that's what is written on the enumerators schedule, so probably no connection after all.

Shona
04-11-12, 16:57
Cowlinge is close to the Essex and Cambridgeshire borders. Could the parents have married in those counties?