PDA

View Full Version : Anyone visiting Scotland's People Centre soon?

Zoemcdougall
01-11-12, 08:40
I need help to find a marriage record as I would like to purchase the cert, the only thing is the people in question as still alive. I am trying to do the family of my husband side. I know they married in Gretna Green but not quite sure of the year at a guess between 1959/1961.

Zoe

JBee
01-11-12, 08:50
Oh why didn't you say last week when I was at Scotlandspeople. I could have done a transcription - not allowed to print off as it was less than 75 years ago.

I can't remember how much a scottish certificate is to purchase - a bit more than the english one iirc.

Why not ask if anyone is going to scotlandspeople in next few weeks who could do the transcription for you. They have special forms to use which cost 10p each so is quite easy to do.

kiterunner
01-11-12, 09:01
You can search the marriage indexes on the Scotland's People website:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

You will need to register and then search the Statutory Marriages 1855-2011 (this is just an index), but don't buy credits until you know whether you have found a match that you want to view. Unfortunately the minimum amount you can spend on credits is £7 which will buy you 30 credits and you will only need 1 credit to view a page of search results. Normally you would then use some of these credits to view the marriage certificate online, but because the marriage was less than 75 years ago, you will not be able to view the marriage certificate online but you would have to order an "extract" i.e. a printed certificate. This will cost £12 and I don't think it will allow you to put your unused credits towards the price.

Zoemcdougall
01-11-12, 09:04
Thankyou Julie, That would have been great, Only found out yesterday, were the people who's marriage cert I am looking for gied, that was just by chance. Would I a post on the members help board, to see anyone is planning a visit to scotlandpeople,

Zoemcdougall
01-11-12, 09:05
Thankyou Kate.

kiterunner
01-11-12, 09:12
Thankyou Julie, That would have been great, Only found out yesterday, were the people who's marriage cert I am looking for gied, that was just by chance. Would I a post on the members help board, to see anyone is planning a visit to scotlandpeople,

If you mean the "Help Offered by Members" board, then no, as that is just for people to post up offers of help. I could change the title of this thread to something like "Anyone visiting Scotland's People soon?" if you like?

kiterunner
01-11-12, 09:14
But don't forget you can search on Scotland's People for free to make sure that there is such an entry on the index! If you don't find it, you could PM me the names and I'll have a try.

JBee
01-11-12, 09:17
Yes someone might be going in the next few weeks.

I will be going again but don't know when.

PM me the names and I will look on scotlandspeople online and by putting in the names could probably isolate the year but nothing else unfortunately.

JBee
01-11-12, 09:18
Beat me to it Kite.

Zoemcdougall
01-11-12, 10:23
Thankyou Kate & Julie for your advice will send you a PM, Yes Kate,.I'd like you change the title please.

Zoemcdougall
01-11-12, 10:41
Have sent you both a PM, Kate thankyou changing the title of this thread for me,

kiterunner
01-11-12, 10:59
I found the marriage on the index on SP, Zoe, have sent you a PM.

JBee
01-11-12, 20:02
Let us know if you need more help Zoe.

Zoemcdougall
01-11-12, 21:05
Thankyou Julie.