PDA

View Full Version : William Taylor

Asa
27-10-12, 16:36
I have a William Taylor born in late 1789 and baptised in 1790 Hurley Berkshire, son of Thomas and Mary. He would appear to be living in 1816 as a William Taylor witnesses the marriage of his half-brother in the neighbouring parish of Wargrave.

I would assume that William was thus at hand, ie living nearby as an adult because they were labourers, rather than having travelled to a wedding. Is that a dodgy assumption?

Because there's a William Taylor who married at Wargrave in November 1815 to a Mary Bridgman (baptised 1794) and had eight daughters. Mary died in 1833 shortly after the birth of the last of these and in 1836 widower William married again to Sarah. William and Sarah are on the 1841 in Wargrave with two of his daughters Harriet and Amelia. and his age is given as 45. He would appear to be the chap who died in the Union Workhouse in 1846 age given as 50 - six years younger than my man.

I really *feel* this is him, despite the age thing. I need to find out the witnesses to the marriage but otherwise there's not much I can do is there?

Shona
27-10-12, 16:48
As enumerators rounded down people's ages, I don't think his age in 1841 is an issue. If he died in the workhouse, they may not have known his actual age.

Asa
27-10-12, 16:51
Thanks Shona - I'm thinking the same in that both ages are rounded off. I suppose I'd best get the witnesses to the marriage and hope they're helpful!