PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand death certs

Lynn the Forest Fan
26-10-12, 19:34
As a result of last week's gggg grandparent search, I found my ggg grandfather's sister Elizabeth Longstaff nee Smith, who went to New Zealand and died there in 1909. I was wondering what information is given on a New Zealand Death cert? Some trees on ancestry have her date of birth & mmn, although a lady who I have been in contact with, can't remember where they came from and I wondered if they were on her death cert.

JayG
26-10-12, 19:58
I've got a couple of NZ death certs, they have the names of the parents, place of birth, number of years in NZ, date & place of burial as well as the usual age, date, place, cause of death.

Lynn the Forest Fan
26-10-12, 20:03
Thanks, so it is possible that the details came from the lady's death cert then. That would be good news :)

HarrysMum
26-10-12, 20:04
Lynn....as Jay said. Much the same as Austalian certs.

HarrysMum
26-10-12, 20:04
Quite possible Lynn.

Lynn the Forest Fan
26-10-12, 20:20
It is particularly good as she has a birth date which is 2 days prior to the baptism date that I already have. There were 2 girls baptised the same day, so possibly twins who were baptised soon after birth as they were maybe not expected to survive. I haven' found any sign of her "twin" Diana at all. (bp 22/2/1827 Louth Lincolnshire)

JayG
26-10-12, 20:26
Just been in my file & got a death cert from 1929.

Other info included
Father's occupation
Name of the minister & religion
Where married, age at marriage, spouse's name, age of spouse (if living)
Ages of surviving children (if any)

Only has age, no DOB, or anywhere for it to be recorded.

Lynn the Forest Fan
26-10-12, 20:29
Maybe not then :(

ElizabethHerts
26-10-12, 20:31
Lynn, did you find her death here?

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Search/Search.aspx?Path=%2FqueryEntry.m%3Ftype%3Ddeaths

ElizabethHerts
26-10-12, 20:34
Was her death registered under the name Betsy?
1909/995 Longstaff Betsy 82Y

Lynn the Forest Fan
26-10-12, 20:43
Yes I believe it was listed as Betsy. I didn't find it myself, I got the info from the ancestry tree

KiwiChris
26-10-12, 20:58
NZ death certificates have the information listed in previous posts, just remember though, that the information is only as good as the informant provided.

So you may get really helpful information if the informant (who is not identified) was a family member, but not so useful if it was someone other than that.

I have death certs for a married couple who died a year apart and the children's ages and sexes only match up for a couple of them. I figure that the information on the husband's cert, who was the last to die, is probably the more correct as it was probably provided by the children, and not what he thought their ages were when his wife died!:D

Lynn the Forest Fan
26-10-12, 20:59
I think the lady inquestion died after her husband. How much are the certs or details in £?

ElizabethHerts
26-10-12, 21:06
Here is the page from the PR, Lynn:

http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=546408&iid=436586

Lynn the Forest Fan
26-10-12, 21:10
Thanks Elizabeth, I remember seeing it at the archives, probably the first time I went there. :) It doesn't actually say they are twins though unfortunately

JayG
26-10-12, 21:27
Just been in my file again, I have 6 death printouts (they were the cheaper option over getting a certificate & contain the same information). They are for 3 sisters of my great grandfather & their husbands. On all of them the informant was the undertaker, not a family member, but the information must of come from family members as most of it matches details I know & have researched.

From Elizabeth's link a death cert is $26.50 & a death printout is $20.40. Also it states if you provide your email address & request a death printout it will be emailed, if you request a death cert they will be issued by post.

Lynn the Forest Fan
26-10-12, 21:32
Thanks, that works out about £10.38

HarrysMum
26-10-12, 21:59
Printouts are fine. It's only if you need the cert for legal reasons that you'd buy it. Info and everything is indentical.

Like the UK certs, only buy them from the records office, not other places offereing them.

Lynn the Forest Fan
27-10-12, 06:32
Thanks Libby. Unfortunately finances are such that I ccan't afford to buy any type of cert at the moment. Hopefully my contact will be able to remember where she got the details from. However, I am fairly sure now I have seen the marriage record that the mmn is correct.

HarrysMum
27-10-12, 07:23
Put up the info you have Lynn and I'll do a scout around.

Lynn the Forest Fan
27-10-12, 10:19
The info is all on this thread http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15584&page=2
The details about Betsy Longstaff were taken from various ancestry trees and it was there that the date of birth ccame from (19/2/1827). I have had contact with one of the tree owners, who seems to have been the source of many of the trees but I am not sure of that. We are now as sure as we can be that Betsy Longstaff was Betsy Smith, the sister of my John Free Smith. As a result of this search & checking their parents marriage record, I have now found another sister who had their mother living with her in later life in England