PDA

View Full Version : Sigmund Schmidt

kiterunner
26-10-12, 09:21
Name - "official" name and what they were known as Sigmund Schmidt
Date and place of birth Don't know
Names of parents Don't know
Date and place of baptism - if applicable Not found
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any To Anna Margarethe Korn, 1834 or earlier
Occupation(s) - if any Don't know (possibly Schuhmacher but I'm not sure whether I have deciphered it correctly)
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
Neumarkt, Bavaria, Germany, when son Johann was born in 1834
Date, place and cause of death Not found
Date and place of burial. Not found
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable Not found
Memorial inscription - if any Not found

Relationship to me: FMFMFF
Link to wife's thread: Anna Margarethe Korn (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14936&highlight=korn)
Link to son's thread:
Johann Schmidt (http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8036&highlight=schmidt)

Shona
26-10-12, 09:52
Fascinating. How did you find that out? Are German records accessible?

kiterunner
26-10-12, 10:03
I had a copy of my 2xg-grandparents' marriage certificate which had been among my grandmother's papers, which gave their birthplaces and their parents' names, and so I paid a researcher to get me a copy of my 3x-gs' marriage certificate, which in turn gave me the names of their parents. The reason I missed Sigmund out from his TO4G week was because I hadn't managed to decipher his name on the cert at that point.
Depends what you mean by "accessible" - I believe the church records are easily available if you go to the record offices and are good at reading old German handwriting!

As for online records, there are some on FamilySearch etc but varies a lot from place to place. FamilySearch does have some Neumarkt records (such as "Findhilfsmittel" which apparently means "finding tools") but they are browse only, not indexed, and I haven't managed to find anything relating to my lot in there as yet.

Shona
26-10-12, 10:32
Agree - old German handwriting is tricky, to say the least. The OH (who's hobby is learning languages) struggles with it.

kiterunner
27-10-12, 10:15
Strange coincidence - the Neumarkt records on FamilySearch have just been updated! Still browse only. I will have to go through and check what they all are again, as it doesn't show what exactly has been added.

Edit - they still all seem to be too early or too late to be of use to me!