PDA

View Full Version : The mystery of the war memorial

Shona
22-10-12, 16:36
Some years ago, a war memorial was rescued from a skip. It ended up in an attic until recently. I'm helping the owner to try to figure out where ir came from, so it can be re-instated.

Here are the notes I've made. Comments, thoughts, suggestions, please.

JOHN JAMES BIGGAR
Private 2349, 6th Battalion (Territorials) Northumberland Fusiliers
Died of wounds: 6 August 1915
Born in Newcastle
Son of Robert and Mary Ann Biggar
Enlisted in Newcastle
Buried: St John’s Westgate and Elswick, Newcastle
Medals: Victory, British

1911 census - 21 Victoria Street, Newcastle

Robert Biggar, head, 54, checker for railway company, born Ancroft
Mary Ann Biggar, wife, 52, housework, born Newcastle
John James Biggar, son, 21, shunter for railway company, born Newcastle
Elizabeth Biggar, son, 18, clerk, drapers shop, born Newcastle
Catherine Biggar, son, 18, shop, stationers, born Newcastle

JAMES CRAIG
Private 20th Battalion Durham Light Infantry; attested 49954 West Yorkshire Regiment
Killed in action: 4 September 1918
Born: Fecklington, Northumberland
Son of James and Ann Terry Craig
Enlisted: Newcastle
Commemorated: Tyne Cot Memorial
Medals: Victory, British

Service records:
Enlisted 1917, a few months short of his 18th birthday. NOK: Father, James. He was injured at Etaples, France, 5 April 1918. Returned to battalion on 15 August 1918. Confined to barracks for three days on 19 August for drinking from his water bottle while on parade.

In 1919, the army sent the Craig family a form to complete giving details of members of the family - he had two brothers, John and William, aged 21 and 18 respectively in 1919. Sister, Blanche, 22. Address: 131 Portland Road.

The form was witnessed by CC Goodlet, Presbyterian Minister, 11 Moorfield, Newcastle.

WILLIAM CLUTTON
Private 43108 9th Battalion, King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
Died of wounds: 22 March 1918
Born in Whithorn, Wigtonshire
Husband of Isabella Davison
Enlisted in Newcastle
Commemorated: Poziers Memorial
Medals Victory and British

Born Scotland, 1889, William married Isabella Giles, 24 February 1912, St Andrew’s Church, Newcastle.

GEORGE DAVISON
Lance Coroporal 26302 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards
Died of wounds: 12 October 1918
Born in Newcastle
Son of William James and Mary Davison
Buried: Carnieres Communal Cemetery Extension
Medals: Victory and British

George’s father was a barman, Address: 42 Scotswood Road in Newcastle.

ERNEST CRAWFORD HADDEN
Private 37298 20th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers (Tyneside Scottish); attested Private 1391 Northern Cyclist Battalion
Killed in action: 5 June 1917, aged 27 years
Born in Gateshead
Son of James Crawford Hadden and Margaret Paterson Hadden
Commemorated: Arras Memorial

Born 17 March 1890 in Gateshead – son of James Crawford Hadden and Margaret Peterson Hadden (nee Goodlet). Private Hadden’s father was born in Dungannon, N Ireland. The couple married on 11 March 1885 – banns according to Gateshead Presbyterian Church. Margaret, born Dirleton, West Lothian, 26 July 1863.

1911 census - 15 Ely Street, Gateshead
James Crawford Hadden, head, 51, print compositor, born Dungannon, Northern Ireland
Margaret Paterson Hadden, wife, 47, born West Fenton, Dirleton
Isabella Hadden, son, 24, clerk, Co-operative, born Gateshead
Ernest Crawford Hadden, son, 21, certified assistant teacher, born Gateshead
John Goodlet Hadden, son, 17, student teacher, born Gateshead
Herbert Fowler Hadden, son, 15, clerk – works fire office, born Gateshead
Annie Goodlet Hadden, dau, 10, school, born Gateshead
Frank Lindsey Hadden, son, 4, born Gateshead

HADDEN, Ernest Crawford, of 174 Ladykirk Road, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, private 20th Northumberland Fusiliers, died 5 June in France. Administration (with will) Newcastle-upon-Tyne 21 January to James Crawford Hadden, trade union secretary. Effects £133 19s 6d.

Printer, bookseller and compositor James Crawford Hadden died was interested in family history and put this advertisement in the 'Missing Friends' column of the 'Belfast Weekly News,' May 20 1893:

HADDEN: Information desired as to the whereabouts of any of the descendants of my grand uncle, Alexander Hadden, who left Cookstown, County Tyrone, Ireland, for Philadelphia, USA, somewhere about the year 1800(?). American papers please copy. Address, James Hadden, 49 Claremont North Avenue, Gateshead-on-Tyne, England.

Margaret Hadden's maiden name was Goodlet. Her brother was Revd Charles Cockburn Goodlet - a Presbyterian minister, born in Tweedmouth. He died in Tynemouth in 1950.

ALEXANDER LANDSBOROUGH
9th Battalion Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment)
Killed in action: 23 April 1917
Born in Kelton, Kirkudbrightshire
Son of John and Williamina Landsborough
Lived in Castle Douglas, Kirkudbright
Enlisted in Newcastle

His father was a postman.

RUEBEN NELSON
6/4116, 1/6th Battalion Nortjhumberland Fusiliers
Killed in action: 15 September 1916
Son of Eliza Nelson
Commemorated: Thiepval Memorial

1911 census - 68 Clarence Streert, Newcastle.

Eliza Nelson, head, widow, born in Newcastle
Henry Nelson, son, 33, harness maker, born in Newcastle
Frances Nelson, son, 25, born in Newcastle
Mary Nelson, dau, 20, born in Newcastle
Reuben Nelson, son, 18, (joiner? tailor? jailor?), born in Newcastle
John William Nelson, son, 15, wire winder, born in Newcastle

Mother married 34 years, eight children, six living.

ROBERT THURSTON
?

GEORGE EDWARD WEDDELL
Private 8660 ‘A’ Company, 13th Battalion Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)
Killed in action: 16 November 1916, aged 19 years
Born in Newcastle
Son of William and Mary A Weddell, 259 Beaconsfield Street, Newcastle
Lived in Newcastle
Enlisted in Newcastle
Commemorated: Thiepval Memorial

1911 census – 192 Philips Street, Newcastle

William Weddell, head, 45, cash porter (railway company), born in Chatton, Northumberland
Mary Annie Weddell, wife, 45, born in Barnsford, Northumberland
Thomas William Weddell, son, 16, born in Newcastle
George Edward Weddell, son, clerk (commission agent), born in Newcastle
Douglas Weddell, son, 8, school, born in Newcastle

ALAN MacPHERSON
Second Writer m.15860 (Ch), HMS Diligence, Royal Navy
Died from disease: 17 February 1919
Born in Newcastle
Son of John and Mary McPherson
Buried: All Saint’s Cemetery, Jesmond Road, Newcastle

1911 census - 1 Worsely Gardens, Newcastle

John McPherson, head, 49, machinist in ???? factory, born Alvis Inverness-shire
Mary Jane McPherson, wife, 47, born in Newcastle
Alan McPherson, son, 18, traveller (wholsale provisions), born Newcastle
Ann Gladys McPherson, dau, 17, pupil teacher, born in Newcastle
Leslie John McPherson, son, 11, at school, born Newcastle

Married 19 years, three children, three surviving.

JOHN WILLIAM NELSON
Able seaman, RN Volunteer Reserve, Anson Battalion
Died of wounds: 12 June 1916
Son of Eliza and the late Reuben Nelson, 40 Clarence Street, Newcastle
Buried: Barlin Communal Cemetery Extension, France

Died of wounds in the 6th Casualty Clearing Station (wounded on 12 June 1916 by an enemy shell falling into dugout.

Anson Battalion War Diary
‘A whizz-bang entered a dugout and caused three casualties in D Company. ABs Webb killed, Nelson wounded and died same day, Mackay wounded and died 14th.'

An electric winder born on 6 April 1895. Next of kin and home addresses, mother, Eliza 68 (later 40) Clarence Street, Shieldfield, Newcastle.

Bother of Reuben who also died.

Conclusions:
From these accounts it seems as if the memorial comes from a Scottish Presbyterian church in Newcastle.

Revd Charles Goodlet, brother of Margaret Hadden (who's son Ernest Crawford Hadden died in the war), who was a witness on correspondence following the death of James Craig, was the minister of Trinity Presbyterian Church, Newcastle.

The building on Northumberland Road is used by the University of Northumberland.

The congregation had its origins in the Ebenezer Chapel/Wall Knoll congregation which was founded in 1730. In 1843, just after they'd built a new chapel on Argyle Street, there was a major split. A minority of the
congregation wanting to adhere themselves to the Church of Scotland while the majority wanting to stay with the Presbyterian Church in England.

The courts ruled in favour of the minority - the new building should be Church of Scotland - it was then named Caledonian Chapel. The majority of the congregation plus minister went off and formed a new congregation.

At first, the new congregation met in the Music Hall (on Nelson Street) but in 1847 they built a new chapel, Trinity Chapel, on New Bridge Street. This was replaced in 1896 by a new Trinity Chapel on Northumberland Road.

In 1933, they were joined by the congregation of College Road Chapel (which closed and was sold to Armstrong College).

Trinity Chapel closed in 1970.

However, there are other possibilities.

1) Margaret Paterson Goodlet married James Crawford Hadden at the Presbyterian Church on Alison Street in Gateshead.

2) Arthur’s Hill Presbyterian Church (abt 1 mile west of the city centre). Revd John McNeil BD, minister of Arthur’s Hill Presbyterian Church, former minister of South Bridge UF Church, Airdrie, was born in Glasgow on 31 March 1874. Died at Wandsworth Military Hospital in London on 27 September 1917. If Arthur’s Hill was the church, shouldn't McNeil be mentioned?

3) Gordon Road Presbyterian Church, Byker. Area heavily redeveloped. The church records for this church stop in 1985.

4) Jesmond Presbyterian Church – records stop in 1974.

kiterunner
22-10-12, 17:14
Do any of these churches still exist, Shona? If they do, you could contact them to ask whether they have a war memorial or have lost one?

Shona
22-10-12, 17:31
I should have mentioned the churches in question no longer exist. I've contacted various people, but everyone has drawn a blank. A visit to the archives in Newcastle may be in order.

JayG
22-10-12, 17:31
It might be worthwhile contacting the North East War Memorials Project

http://www.newmp.org.uk/

They might have the memorial listed or be aware it existed & is 'lost'.

Merry
22-10-12, 17:35
What form does the memorial take?

Shona
22-10-12, 17:41
It's a large brass memorial which looks as if it has been screwed on to a wall. Merry. It was rescued by a student in the 1980s. There were two in the skip, he could only carry one. When he went back, the skip had gone. He thinks the other memorial was WW2.

Jay, that is a fantastic link. Thank you. I'll send them a message. Having looked at the listings on the site, I can rule out the Trinity as a possibility, as they still have their memorial. Interestingly, one of the people the mysterious memorial is also on the Trinity one. That's not uncommon, though.

ElizabethHerts
22-10-12, 17:45
ROBERT THURSTON
?

Could this be him?

Residence: Newcastle
Enlisted: Aldershot
Regiment, Corps, etc Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)
Battalion: 20th Battalion
Raised at Epson on 11.9.14 like the other
P.S. Bns. Subsequent record similar to 18th Bn. but was
at Leatherhead from Oct. 1914 to Mar. 1916. Nov. 1915
landed in France. 27.11.15 to 19th Bde. 33rd Div.
16.2.18 disbanded in france.
Number: 66494
Date died: 28 November 1917
How died: Killed in action
Theatre of war: France and Flanders

Shona
22-10-12, 18:03
ROBERT THURSTON
?

Could this be him?

Residence: Newcastle
Enlisted: Aldershot
Regiment, Corps, etc Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)
Battalion: 20th Battalion
Raised at Epson on 11.9.14 like the other
P.S. Bns. Subsequent record similar to 18th Bn. but was
at Leatherhead from Oct. 1914 to Mar. 1916. Nov. 1915
landed in France. 27.11.15 to 19th Bde. 33rd Div.
16.2.18 disbanded in france.
Number: 66494
Date died: 28 November 1917
How died: Killed in action
Theatre of war: France and Flanders

Looks good, thank you.

annswabey
22-10-12, 18:22
There's also this website. Information compiled from around 1989 I think

http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/

Durham Lady
22-10-12, 20:53
Shona, have you thought of contacting the Northumberland and Durham Family History Society?

http://www.ndfhs.org.uk/

or Tyne and Wear Archives and Museum

http://www.twmuseums.org.uk

Either may be happy to give the memorial a home.

Phoenix
22-10-12, 21:37
Works canteen, cricket pavilion, lych gate of church, in a school: people can easily appear on several different memorials.

The local paper would probably love to run the story - and is likely to be read by the generation who may remember seeing it.

Knowing when and where it was found might help to narrow down possibilities.

Shona
23-10-12, 09:41
There's also this website. Information compiled from around 1989 I think

http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/

Oh - that's interesting. Lots of valuable information. Thanks.

Shona
23-10-12, 09:44
Shona, have you thought of contacting the Northumberland and Durham Family History Society?

http://www.ndfhs.org.uk/

or Tyne and Wear Archives and Museum

http://www.twmuseums.org.uk

Either may be happy to give the memorial a home.

Daphne - good idea. I'll contact them to seek advice.

Just to make it clear, I don't have the memorial! Someone I know knew about it and I was taken round to have a look - and take photos. The person who has the memorial has only recently been persuaded that it should be on display and not kept in an attic.

Shona
23-10-12, 09:48
Works canteen, cricket pavilion, lych gate of church, in a school: people can easily appear on several different memorials.

The local paper would probably love to run the story - and is likely to be read by the generation who may remember seeing it.

Knowing when and where it was found might help to narrow down possibilities.

I've researched someone who appeared on six memorials - town where he was born, town where he lived, two churches, work before he signed up, and a navy memorial.

The local paper is a good idea - persuading the person who has the memorial is another matter!

nickhazel
22-08-14, 21:09
Hi Shona,
I'm not sure if your still working on this, but I found your thread researching one of my wife's close relatives. George Davison was her late father's cousin. Unusually, we have quite a number of photographs of the unfortunate young man from his childhood, right up to his service days, and of his family. On the question of the Scottish connection, his mother was Mary nee Schiel, hailing from Roxburghshire in the Scottish borders country, which seems to fit with the discussion in your thread. We know no more than you do of the circumstances of his death, but he was a handsome young man, and left two lovely sisters and two brothers to mourn him. I'd be interested to know what happened to the memorial in the end. Nick Hazel.

marquette
22-08-14, 22:14
I only mention this to point out that there are many more Honour Rolls than one might imagine.

I have been helping a friend whose small group is researching the names on a WW1 Honour Roll - its the names of men from the Sydney 18footers and Sydney Flying Squadron sailing clubs, about 150 names.

They were from many parts of Sydney, as separate as North Sydney, Mosman and Leichhardt (on the opposite side of the Harbour) and often the only thing they had in common was sailing. And they did not even all belong to the same club.

Di

garstonite
23-08-14, 05:55
Shona - we have a Plaque in Brass that is shaped like an open scrolled Book in our Burnsall Street LMS Institute Social Club and it is screwed on to the wall - it lists all the men who were members of this Railway Social Club who perished in WW1 - MY G GRANDFATHER BEING ONE OF THEM...it has about 50 names on it .....the reason I am posting is that the first name on your list is a Railway Shunter ....maybe a coincidence -but ...could all those men have been members of a Railway Social Club in Newcastle ??...if our local LMS Club had a Brass Plaque made to Honour its members who died in WW1 maybe it was a Railway way of respect and many other Railway clubs did the same ??...you didn`t have to be a Railway worker to be a member - they did allow Associate Members.....just another possible road for you to look at ??...presumably in Newcastle it would be LNER Railway Social Club ...( London North East Railway )
allan:)

Shona
27-08-14, 17:33
Hi Shona,
I'm not sure if your still working on this, but I found your thread researching one of my wife's close relatives. George Davison was her late father's cousin. Unusually, we have quite a number of photographs of the unfortunate young man from his childhood, right up to his service days, and of his family. On the question of the Scottish connection, his mother was Mary nee Schiel, hailing from Roxburghshire in the Scottish borders country, which seems to fit with the discussion in your thread. We know no more than you do of the circumstances of his death, but he was a handsome young man, and left two lovely sisters and two brothers to mourn him. I'd be interested to know what happened to the memorial in the end. Nick Hazel.

Hello, Nick. Thank you for the additional information about George and for confirming that his family - like so many others on the memorial - have a link to Scotland. It's sad to think that many memorials ended up being ripped out of buildings and thrown away.

As far as I know, the memorial is still hidden away in the loft of a bungalow in Lincolnshire. I'll see if I can get an update.

nickhazel
27-10-14, 20:31
Hi Shona, if it helps here are a couple of pictures of George, one with his family. He was the eldest son. They must have been taken only months before his death, since he was only 20 when he died of his wounds. Somehow he looks a lot more grown up than that. Nick.

Shona
28-10-14, 09:11
Thank you, Nick. The family photo is especially poignant.

Uncle John
28-10-14, 19:33
I've got some baptisms in the 1830s in the Scotch Church, Newcastle-on-Tyne, but I have no idea where it was located. And a marriage in 1865 in the New Jerusalem Temple in Percy Street, Newcastle. Just a few random facts!

Durham Lady
29-10-14, 16:18
Uncle John there were several Scotch Churches in and around the city of Newcastle Upon Tyne. Have you seen this site, it give some information about them as well as the New Jerusalem Temple.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43362#s4

Benguin
22-11-14, 16:42
Hi there,

The "Ernest Crawford Hadden" on this memorial was uncle to my mother (we are descended from Frank Lindsay, on that census).

I haven't discovered a great deal of information that would add to your excellent research, other than I believe (from researching army records) that he was lucky to survive the Somme (most of his battalion did not) but was killed in the Battle of Arras, on a hill near Plouvain.

His brother, John Goodlet, was in the Royal Scots and seems to have spent most of the war on Reconnaissance work, ending up as an acting Ltnt in the newly formed RAF by the end of the war. He spent the remainder of his long life teaching physics in Lincoln, I believe.

John and Ernest were teachers, at different points in their early career, when they joined. Family lore has it they trained at Durham Uni, so I might contact them and see if they have anything on their alumni.

Ernest was engaged when he joined up.

If anyone has any information on the whereabouts of this memorial, or even a photo of it, it would mean a lot to people in my family to find out more.

Benguin
22-11-14, 16:56
OK ... found a photo of him and figured out how to post it on the forum!

Benguin
22-11-14, 17:08
It might be worthwhile contacting the North East War Memorials Project

http://www.newmp.org.uk/

They might have the memorial listed or be aware it existed & is 'lost'.

Maybe this one? Although it could be there now as a result of the work on this forum ...
http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=10783