PDA

View Full Version : Australian Records - findmypast

kiterunner
18-10-12, 22:33
I've just received this email:

We're excited to announce that we have just added a huge 56 million new records to our Australia / New Zealand collection. This brings the total number of records available on findmypast.com.au to a staggering 1.5 billion!

New records in the Australia / New Zealand collection include:

Electoral rolls for New Zealand and Australia
Births, deaths & marriages for South Australia
Government and police gazettes
Directories, handbooks and almanacs
Unique records such as Radio Call and much more

Link to Australian findmypast:
http://www.findmypast.com.au/

What they don't say is whether these records have been added to the world sub on the US findmypast site yet. I will try to find out, but they don't seem to have a "news" section like the UK site does. Also I can't see a mention of it on the UK site although they also have a world sub now?

kiterunner
18-10-12, 22:43
On a test search, I get the same number of results on all 3 sites searching Australasian collections, so it seems the new records are available on all sites. But there is the same problem as there has always been with their Australasian records - although you specify the first name and last name you are looking for, it brings back loads of results which don't match the full name. I think this is due to the databases having been indexed using OCR software and it is just searching for each search term anywhere on the page.