PDA

View Full Version : The Genealogist website

Asa
18-10-12, 17:54
I'm really wary of this site after they tried to take the money out of my account while I was on a free trial but I am very tempted to have a Gold sub for a quarter which it says costs 24 quid.

If I go for this, is it as straightforward as it seems and I pay the money and can access what they say for three months and they don't try and take it again or anything???

kiterunner
18-10-12, 18:01
Make sure you read all the terms and conditions, including this part:

•Cancellation of subscriptions must be made in writing (by letter/email) at least two weeks before the next payment due date. Cancellations will not take effect before the end of any minimum sign-up period.
•All paid subscriptions (excluding pay-as-you-go) will renew automatically (unless cancelled, see above) to ensure you continue to receive the benefits of the ever-increasing range of genealogy data.
•Cancelling your credit card or payment details does not cancel your obligation to pay for the minimum period and this will affect your credit rating.

Merry
18-10-12, 18:06
Remember, you are not allowed to look up any names you cannot prove are in your tree.

To be fair, I don't know that rule still applies, but it certainly used to.

I also was not happy when, having transcribed for them in exchange for a short-term free sub, I argued (politely) with them when they changed the terms of the free sub after I'd done the transcribing and rather than reply to my complaint they just terminated my membership without any warning!!

Asa
18-10-12, 18:06
Thank you Kate - I'll have to read it thoroughly. This automatic renewal thing really puts me off websites.

Asa
18-10-12, 18:09
That's very unfair, Merry. I bought a disc off them and got a voucher for a free trial. Three days into using it, they cancelled it because I hadn't got the funds in my account. I thought that was proper cheeky.