PDA

View Full Version : Who inherited the money

Shona
18-10-12, 14:21
Alexander Brodie, my MMMMMF, died in 1874. His wife died before him as did his legitimate children. His nephew, Andrew Page, son of his sister Ann, was present at his death and signed the death certificate.

An inventory of his estate is valued at £255 in 1874.

The inventory goes on to say:

'Jane Brodie, signed, in the presence of Archibald Robertson Esq, one of her Majesty's Justices of the Peace for Lower Ward of Lanarkshire.

Appeared Miss Jane Brodie, residing at Seton Terrace, Dennistoun, Glasgow, Ececutrix of the deceased Alexander Brodie, sometime collector of shore dues, Kirkcaldy, afterwards residing at Carberry Cottage, Parish of Dysart, who being solemnly sworn and examined depones that the said Alexander Brodie died at Carberry Cottage on the 31st Day of March last and the deponent has entered upon the possession and management of the deceased estate as Executrix and next of kin to the deceased. That the deponent knows of no testamentary settlement or other writing left by the deceased relative to the disposal of his Estate or Effects or any part thereof that the forgoing inventory signed by the deponent and said magistrate.'

Does Miss Jane Brodie therefore get the money? I'm also trying to work out who she is and how she is next of kin.

Alexander Brodie was the son of Robert Brodie and Grizel Thomson. Robert and Grizel had four sons - Robert (born 1800; died before 1807), Alexander (1802-1874), Robert (born 1807) and Andrew (1809-1828). Robert and Grizel also had four daughters - none were called Jane.

Alexander did have illegitimate children - his daughter, Alexandrina, was alive at the time of her father's death.

kiterunner
18-10-12, 14:28
I guess she must be a niece (unless she is another sister or half-sister who you haven't found a baptism for!) and would have had to share the estate with the other nieces and nephews. Illegitimate children would normally have inherited nothing unless he left them a bequest in a will.

kiterunner
18-10-12, 14:45
I think she is transcribed as Jane Budie on the 1871 census on ancestry - at 8 Seton Terrace, Glasgow Springburn, age 39, born "Mikaldy, Forfarshire", niece of the head of household (or his wife) but their names look to be seriously mangled! Anyway, the wife is Elizabeth age 59 born "Kirkaldy, Fife" and the husband is born Lanarkshire, so I expect Jane is the wife's niece.

kiterunner
18-10-12, 15:15
Having looked on FMP and found the uncle and aunt are John and Elizabeth McMath on there, I found a possible marriage for them on FamilySearch (in Lanarkshire) where the wife's name is Elizabeth Morgan, and there is a marriage at Kirkcaldy or Abbotshall, Fife, 7 Jun 1830 between Alexander Brodie and Margaret Morgan.

kiterunner
18-10-12, 15:20
Did you ever look at the image of the Alexander Brodie / Jean Geddes marriage (1840, Kirkcaldy), Shona? And if so, does it say whether Alexander was a widower? Maybe Margaret was his first wife and Jane is his daughter from that marriage?

kiterunner
18-10-12, 15:22
Oooooh - searching without a surname on FamilySearch, I finally found the baptism of Jane Bordie, 10 Jun 1831 at Kirkcaldy, parents Alexander Bordie and Margaret Morgan! You would think they could treat Bordie as a possible match for Brodie, wouldn't you?!

kiterunner
18-10-12, 15:24
This is probably unconnected, but they do also have a Grace Brown baptised 26 Oct 1832 at Abbotshall, parents Alexander Brown and Margaret Morgan. I just wonder whether Brown could be another mistranscription of Brodie, and I know the name Grace comes up in that family a few times.

Shona
18-10-12, 15:48
Did you ever look at the image of the Alexander Brodie / Jean Geddes marriage (1840, Kirkcaldy), Shona? And if so, does it say whether Alexander was a widower? Maybe Margaret was his first wife and Jane is his daughter from that marriage?

Didn't look at the ORP image on SP (that site is eating up my money!). Relied on FS. However, I found this on my trusty pre-1855 CD:

Margaret Brodie, alias Morgan, of 132 East Port, Kirkcaldy, buried 28 August 1832. Wife of A. P. Brodie. Source: Lair Register.

In 1851, Alexander was living at High Street, East Port. Your hunch was right - a first marraige.

I'm now thinking that the Robert and Grace who died in 1834 and 1835 respectively are Margaret's children, not more illegitimate children with Christina Morris.

So unless I find more surviving children from this first marriage, Jane would have got all the money.

Off to check out the Morgans.