PDA

View Full Version : Dora who?

tenterfieldjulie
12-10-12, 08:04
Dora is the wife of Thomas Tunstead/Tonstead/Tonsted ..
I know she exists, because I have her as the wife of Thomas when their children are baptised in the Church of Ireland at St. Lazerian's in Old Leighlin, Carlow in Ireland between 1799 and 1810.
I am wondering if some kind soul might be able to find their marriage .. so at least I know her maiden name? I think some of the records are on Ancestry .. I found the baptism records on line but not the marriage but the names are a bit hard to read ..

kiterunner
12-10-12, 08:33
County Carlow records are not on the Irish Family History Foundation website (Roots Ireland). And it says on there that "County Carlow does not currently offer any research service."

I can't see what you mean on ancestry, sorry.

If you can post a link to where you found the baptism records online I could have a look and see if I can help.

tenterfieldjulie
12-10-12, 09:01
Kate the records I've found were by googling last year - one site says that I can see now says that the Church of Ireland register of Old Leighlin, Carlow is on rootsweb.ancestry.
I have also found by Googling burials of Old Leighlin, but they start at 1800 and are the original pages of baptisms, burials and marriages all mixed up. I think they are under Carlow County - Ireland Genealogical Projects ..
It is a real hit and miss googling and I hoped that Ancestry.com might be more complete and earlier. Thanks for your interest. It is Dora's father who is my 4xggt this week.

kiterunner
12-10-12, 09:35
This looks like the site, but as far as I know, Rootsweb is free stuff posted up by volunteers and is just hosted by ancestry - I don't think stuff on Rootsweb will normally come up on an ancestry search.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlcar2/

So yes, the baptism transcriptions on there for Old Leighlin include children of Thomas and Dora Tunste(a)d 1799 to 1810.

I will have a look for marriages later, sorry, got to go out now.

HarrysMum
12-10-12, 10:45
The only marriage I can see is a Richard Tunstead to Eleanor Shirley 1807.

HarrysMum
12-10-12, 10:51
Quite a few trees on Ancestry but all just have Dora as spouse...no surname.

kiterunner
12-10-12, 11:09
This is a transcript of the parish register and there is no Thomas Tunstead / Dora marriage listed, so I guess they got married somewhere else:'
http://www.igp-web.com/igparchives/ire/carlow/churches/parish-register2.txt

tenterfieldjulie
12-10-12, 11:13
Thanks for your help Kate and Libby. At least I know it wasn't there.

vallee
12-10-12, 11:14
there is a record of a Thomas Tunsted on Ireland FMP for Carlow, Claimants and surrenders for the year 1798 but you have to have a sub to view it? maybe him ?

tenterfieldjulie
12-10-12, 11:20
Thanks Vallee .. I'd say it is him. The Tunstead and Shirley families are both at Knocknabranna. There is a baptism of a Shirley with the name Tunstead Shirley .. so I think brothers and sisters probably married.

vallee
12-10-12, 11:24
if somebody has a sub for the irish FMP maybe they can do a look up ?

kiterunner
12-10-12, 11:26
There is a will listed on the Index of Irish Wills - Thomas Tunstead 1838, proved at Leighlin Diocese. It seems that there is a transcript of the will at the National Archives of Ireland, but I'm not sure how you would get a copy (if you don't already have it?)

tenterfieldjulie
12-10-12, 23:32
No I don't have it Kate. That is wonderful .. I will certainly find out how to get it. Many many thanks. Yipee .. off to bed now .. Oops didn't post this last night.