PDA

View Full Version : Relationship through adoption

JohnS
11-10-12, 20:34
If, say, an uncle and his wife adopt a child is that child legally your cousin?

maggie_4_7
11-10-12, 20:36
Yes if the uncle and wife legally adopted that child.

Merry
11-10-12, 20:37
If you mean a post 1927 legal adoption in the UK, then a tentative 'Yes' (as far as I know!).

JohnS
11-10-12, 20:44
If you mean a post 1927 legal adoption in the UK, then a tentative 'Yes' (as far as I know!).

1962, but they had emigrated to Australia and the adoption took place there.

JBee
11-10-12, 20:47
Yes because the adopted child becomes a member of the adoptive family and has the same rights as a natural child - on adoption it also loses any rights to inherit from its birth parents. That's why if a mother remarries and the child is adopted by the step-father the child loses the right to inherit from its natural father.

JohnS
11-10-12, 21:01
OK. Here is my quandry.
I have made contact and asked her to verify who her parents were so I now know it's the right person.
I have a large number of letters from her parents written home and would love to pass them on to her.
One of the letters mentions her adoption.
She has not indicated to me that she was adopted so, by passing on the letters, I could be opening up something that may upset her.

JBee
11-10-12, 21:10
Ah yes see what you mean - some adoptions were kept from the adopted child. I would forward the letters except for the one that mentions adoption - unless she comes out with it first. Or perhaps ask in which order she and siblings were born - (for your records) and she might volunteer the info if she knows.