PDA

View Full Version : Fred's will...

Rosie Knees
26-10-09, 10:55
has arrived, so just 12 days with a two day postal strike so not bad.

I raises more questions than it gives answers (as is usually the case!).

He is a widow and leaves the lot to his son John and his daughter Lois. There is no mention whatsoever of my GG GM Mary Ann, her husband or their children - do you reckon this would mean a rift?

There are some lovely sounding pieces of furniture and small household items ("two salts") which belonged to Lois in his "two freehold houses situate at Castle Bytham":eek: News to me, they are lol.

*off to google antimacassar*

kiterunner
26-10-09, 10:57
It could be that he'd given Mary Ann her share already, perhaps when she got married.

Phoenix
26-10-09, 11:05
*off to google antimacassar*

*feels ancient*

macassar was a hair oil. Antimacassars were cloths, usually highly decorative, laid over the backs of chairs, to prevent the upholstery getting stained.

Dad used brylcreem, so we had plenty in the house.

Rosie Knees
26-10-09, 11:14
Thanks Kate, I never thought of that.

Phoenix, I did wonder why anyone would want "15 antimacassers" and I laughed when I found out on google what they were :D

Phoenix
26-10-09, 11:37
I have a tudor will of an (extremely rich) haberdasher's widow. She leaves the six grandsons a tablecloth each with the matching dozen napkins, and the granddaughters get gold rings!

Rosie Knees
26-10-09, 11:58
lol Phoenix, girl power 16th century style!

Joan of Archives
26-10-09, 20:38
All my Blacksmith forebears left very grand wills leaving mostly kettles & irons to their families lol! :d

Kit
27-10-09, 02:01
I have a will that says (my translation) as you received enough during my lifetime you can have 5 pounds to by a ring to remember me by.

Merry
27-10-09, 07:04
And I have one that says you are only getting one shilling as that's all you deserve!

Rosie Knees
27-10-09, 08:32
lol, nothing so amusing in the wills I've got so far.

Had a google yesterday for Castle Bytham, it looks a beautiful little village. Don't know why Fred had two properties there as my G GM Mary Ann was living in Colsterworth, as was his son John, and Lois was living in Grantham.

Ordered Mary Ann's death cert yesterday. Not that that will give any clue to the "family fortune" but I am determined to tie these Fosters up and find out about their USA trip somehow:(