PDA

View Full Version : World Search and World Sub - findmypast UK

kiterunner
03-10-12, 13:49
Something I've just noticed and I think it's new:

When I go onto the UK Findmypast site, the search now has a dropdown menu for "Collections from": Britain, All (excluding Britain), United States, Australia / New Zealand, Ireland.

Selecting any option except for Britain takes you to the "world search", which looks to be the same search facility that they have on the US, Australian and Irish sites, but it has a URL containing .co.uk

You can then search the databases for those countries and view the list of matches, but it then asks you to subscribe or buy credits if you want to view transcriptions or images.

The price of a world sub on the UK site is £99.95 for six months or £159.95 for a year, and they are currently offering an introductory discount of £10 off the six month sub or £20 off the 1 year sub.

And I think it is saying that you can upgrade your UK sub to a world one and the remaining part of your existing UK sub would be effectively deducted from the price of the world sub, as it is showing a "remaining credit included" amount which reduces the cost.

I took out a world sub on the US site when they had a special offer earlier this year, so obviously not planning to upgrade my UK sub, but this may be of interest if you haven't tried their US, Australian / NZ, and Irish sites yet. Make sure to look at what databases are included before you decide, though!

Toots
04-10-12, 19:15
a world sub on Ancestry is £155.50 per annum. However, I renewed last Sunday at a much lower price. I have had a world sub for many years, I rang to see what they would offer me. I told them that FindmyPast have announced a world subscription was to be launched soon and ask for a 25% discount especially in view of all the free records which have been available this year. He gave me 25% off £142, for being such a loyal customer, which meant I paid £118.00.

Initially he told me that there was no discounts available until I mentioned FindmyPast. I was prepared to cancel, I have do so in the past. Last time I cancelled they sent me emails with discounts in.

Durham Lady
16-10-12, 15:40
I can't decide if I need anything from FMP overseas collections but if I wanted to upgrade to the World sub I could get it for £107.79 with all the deductions offered including what's remaining on my full UK subscription.

Kit
17-10-12, 10:40
I wish FMP.com and .co.uk would talk so I could log into co.uk and stay on without having to log in to .com. I really don't like .com's search facility.

Janet
18-10-12, 00:35
That's what I'm up against too, Toni. Am I missing something? Sometimes there will be some search result that somebody else gets on FMP.co.uk and I'll be darned if I can get it to come up for me on FMP.com. But if I try to go look at the image on .co.uk it tells me I have to pay them money when I've already paid my money to FMP.com and am signed in.

I have a World sub, by which they say they mean "Unlimited access to US and international records" with a double asterisk which reads:
**includes US, Irish, English, Scottish, Welsh, Australian and New Zealand data

Is it me?

kiterunner
18-10-12, 06:57
I don't think all the UK stuff has been uploaded onto the US site yet, Janet - when I asked them a while back, they said they were still working on it. You could contact them with details of what you are looking for and they should get back to you with some info, even if it's just "not uploaded yet".

But you are right, the UK site and the US site don't allow use of each other's subs.

Janet
18-10-12, 15:37
Thanks, Kite. That would explain it. Hope they hurry up! I will do as you say and contact them if I have something special I need.