PDA

View Full Version : John Lee Allen Scott

Phoenix
27-09-12, 19:58
He was a baker, born c 1794 and son of Thomas Scott, farmer.

He married first Margaret McFarlin in 1826 and had a son Thomas b 1829 in St Saviour, Southwark, when he was living at York St. Thomas appears to be in a household of Spencers in the Grove Camberwell in 1841.

John Lee Allen Scott marries secondly Wilhelmina Charlotte Lines nee Hughes 18 July 1841 in St Giles Camberwell, Surrey. Her residence is Grove, his Southampton Street.

John Lee Allen Scott is buried 12 July 1842 in St Giles Camberwell. He is aged 48 and his address is Picton Street.

It looks from modern maps as if Picton Street was originally a turning off Southampton Street.

So, WHERE WAS HE IN 1841?

I have looked at all the John Scott in Middlesex and they all appear to have families or the wrong occupations (I suppose you could have disposed of a wife and remarried in six weeks, but it seems a leetle fast, given he married by banns)

He ought to be somewhere in HO 107/1050, but I'm blowed if I can spot him!

Shona
27-09-12, 22:32
Searched Ancestry for Wilhelmina Scott (and variant spellings). There is a match with a husband called John, but it 's in Manchester.

kiterunner
27-09-12, 22:41
I have looked at all the John Scott in Middlesex

Shouldn't you be looking in Surrey? :confused:

Phoenix
27-09-12, 23:06
I couldn't see any convincing looking ones in Surrey either, so checked in case he'd hopped across the Thames. Somewhere I found a John Lee Scott in Southampton Row, of an age to be his son, which looked perfect, but alas wasn't.

Shona, I have his widow all neatly mapped out.

I've been hoping that that I could link him back to Norfolk, though an N in the where born column will hardly do that.

kiterunner
28-09-12, 06:55
I can't find him.

kiterunner
28-09-12, 06:57
References from TNA for Picton Street on the 1841 census are HO107/1050 book 6 folio 40 and book 7 folios 12-14 and 18. I've looked through those but no sign of him.

Merry
28-09-12, 07:20
7 folios 12-14

In the above section there were two other men whose occupation was baker (and I've forgotten their names now!). I suppose it might be worth tryng to follow them to the next census, as they were both born out of county and I wondered if either of them or their wives might have been from Norfolk and might be relatives - rather a long shot, but might be worth the look?

Merry
28-09-12, 08:17
In the above section there were two other men whose occupation was baker (and I've forgotten their names now!). I suppose it might be worth tryng to follow them to the next census, as they were both born out of county and I wondered if either of them or their wives might have been from Norfolk and might be relatives - rather a long shot, but might be worth the look?

John Cole, 33 - left-hand page:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=8978&path=Surrey.St+Giles+Camberwell.Camberwell.16.11&sid=&gskw=Rosanna+Cooper

William Mead, 40 - right-hand page:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8978&iid=SRYHO107_1050_1051-0120&fn=Elizabeth&ln=Braby&st=d&ssrc=&pid=10080108

Merry
28-09-12, 11:17
Hmmmm...John Cole b Bristol, Somersetshire and his wife b Gloucestershire.

William Mead b St Albans, Herts and his wife b Devises, Wiltshire.

I guess that didn't work then!

Phoenix
28-09-12, 12:12
Thank you both for looking. I do wonder whether he is in hospital as JS somewhere.

I'd hoped he might appear in a directory, but there are so many bakers in the area, I suspect the early equivalent of the Aerated Bread Company, feeding the hungry mouths of Camberwell.

Shona
28-09-12, 12:28
Had a good hunt through trade directories. There was a John Scott in London who was a ship's biscuit baker with another Scott. But, published after John's death.

Also his wife had a lot of siblings. Could he have been visiting them and been recorded under the name of the head of household? Or he may have been visiting his own siblings/parents?

Phoenix
28-09-12, 12:49
I know, Shona.

This is an extreme twig, by marriage, but with such an name I thought I might find out who he was, and thus shed light on other family members. Provokingly, he is proving obdurate. I am mapping the careers of everyone else. They all seem to be bakers or publicans and these cannot have been healthy livelihoods as the women seem widowed a very long time.

Merry
28-09-12, 13:43
I do wonder whether he is in hospital as JS somewhere.

Pre-wedding nerves?!

I have several people on my tree who marry a week or two after the census and appear to be missing on that census. However, these are mainly those marrying by banns and I guess they were "between properties" on census night! Perhaps your John Scott was visiting someone out of county but not Middlesex and was either missed from the census or is hiding?

What a shame no company thought it would have been helpful to transcribe occupations for 1841 - with so little information to go on, it would have helped a great deal to find some people!

Phoenix
28-09-12, 13:52
I know, Merry. 1841 is the one census when we could really do with a helping hand.

kiterunner
28-09-12, 18:47
What a shame no company thought it would have been helpful to transcribe occupations for 1841 - with so little information to go on, it would have helped a great deal to find some people!

They are transcribed on UK Census Online (http://www.ukcensusonline.com/index.php)

and it will show you the occupations for all the matches it finds on a free search, but the free search will only let you search by name and there are hundreds of John Scotts. If you want to use occupation as a search field you have to pay.

Merry
28-09-12, 20:24
Thanks for that, Kate - I'd forgotten about that site!

Shona
28-09-12, 22:11
Where was John's father from?