PDA

View Full Version : Hannah E Edwards

Zoemcdougall
27-09-12, 09:18
I am trying to help a Cousin with their ancestry as I have given up on mine for now.

I am looking for the parents of Hannah E Edwards, b, abt in Conwy abt 1912 she died in 2011 in Newcastle Australia.

She married Cyril Gordon.They married in Holywell in North Wales. they Emigrated to Australia in the 50's I think

Hannah & Cyril had 3 child, 2 still alive 0ne deceased.

kiterunner
27-09-12, 09:22
You would be best to get her marriage certificate and see what her middle name was and who her father was.

Edit - her death certificate should give her parents' names if the informant knew them.

Merry
27-09-12, 09:26
I see Hannah E Edwards married Cyril Gordon in 1932 Q1 in Holywell.

Zoemcdougall
27-09-12, 09:27
Sorry Kate & Merry, mixed her name up with one of my relatives. Silly me!!

Her name was Hannah E EDWARDS

Zoemcdougall
27-09-12, 09:31
Can I edit the name on this thread to put the right name of Hannah E Edwards please

Merry
27-09-12, 09:33
As Kite says, you wll definitely need more information about her father or parents - unless her mmn is rare, it's likely there's going to be lots of possible marriages for her parents if you don't know more about them.

Zoemcdougall
27-09-12, 09:42
I don't know anymore about her, I know more about her husband than her.

With regards to her husband's side of the family which I do have a link to, there is a family tale that his grandfather was some way related to General Gordon of Khartuom. I think this is a fantasy & can't see a link to him.

Merry
27-09-12, 09:52
This is the only Hannah E I could see born in the right place between 1908 and 1916:

Births Sep 1915
Edwards Hannah E Conway Conway 11b 778

But it would be dangerous to say this is her. Hannah might have started out as Ann or her first names round the other way, or whatever.

Zoemcdougall
27-09-12, 09:54
Would I be better to get her marriage cert first.

Zoemcdougall
27-09-12, 10:03
Sorry Kate has already suggsted I should get the cert.
My next quest would be to prove that Cyril Gordon doesn't have a link with General Gordon of Khartoum. I have a lot on the gordon family but nothing that I could links him to the family, what is the best way for to prove this.

Merry
27-09-12, 10:09
Proving someone isn't related is a lot harder than proving they are (if they are!). You would have to research backwards for both of them and then forwards for all the male lines (ie siblings of the direct lines) and see if you find a connection. Why do you want to prove they are not related?

Zoemcdougall
27-09-12, 10:45
One the reasons is the one of My Gordon relatives has it in her head that she is better than the rest of us purely on the basis she thinks she a direct descendant to General Gordon,

This is how it all started, My Great Grandmother Mary Barnett Brentnall married twice first to John Gordon my Cousins Grandfather,
Mary & John had 3 children John, Cyril & Louisa,
John Committed Suicide, leaving Mary to bring up the 3 children, then Mary went on to marry William Thomas Carr my Great grandfather they had 3 children together Majorie (my Grandmother,) Ritson & Doris. William brought up Mary's 1st 3 children up as his own.

To my Cousin the Carr family were always second rate always refered us as being the second family, & she was the first family. Often stating she was the great great grandaughter of General Gordon. Which My Grandmother had disputed many times, Even when my Cousin married she didn't give up the Gordon name because of this.

kiterunner
27-09-12, 10:51
North Wales BMD gives her full name on the marriage index as Hannah Elizabeth Edwards.

Zoemcdougall
27-09-12, 11:02
Thankyou Kate

Merry
27-09-12, 11:03
she thinks she a direct descendant to General Gordon,

Ah that's a different thing altogether!! General Gordon never married, so is she saying one of her ancestors was his illegitimate offspring? (I'm not saying he had any - I don't know!). If you have traced her Gordon line back beyond the point where General Gordon could have had children then you know she is wrong! You knowing won't make any difference I don't suppose - except in your own head! - people who have these ideas about being linked to the rich and famous don't usually drop the story just because someone proves it isn't true. My mother refuses to believe she isn't related to the Clarks shoe people or Mr Sainsbury who started the supermarket chain, even though her ancestors don't seem to be connected at all!!

HarrysMum
27-09-12, 11:20
Zoe...do you have her death cert?

No idea if the info on it would be perfect, but Australian death certs have parents names, dates of marriages, names and ages of all children, etc etc.
Of course, it depends on how much the informant knows.

Merry........if you want some wealthy Clarks....look no further. You know i don't really want them...lol

Also Zoe......if you get the Gordons back to Scottish Highlands, I might have some info.

Zoemcdougall
27-09-12, 11:40
No I don't have her death cert unfortunately, I would expect that the Informant on Hannah's death would have been her Daughter, I know it wouldn't have been Hannah's husband Cyril as he died years ago.Apparently when he died he was given full Military orders,.

Cyril's father I have gone back 4 generations so far & no link to him, but your right Merry it won't make a difference but just find it amusing that just because of the surname she thinks there related.

Libby, I haven't got back to the Gordon in the scottish Highlands but from an cousin who is the Son of Cyril asked if I had found the Gordon's in the Scottish Highlands. But any thing you can help me with would be greatly appreciate.

Shona
27-09-12, 12:24
General Gordon had at least one sister, so you would have to rule out a connection to her by searching forward. Also Gen Gordon's father was in the army - Lieutenant General Henry William Gordon. You've also got the Aussie, General Henry Gordon Bennett (he was at Gallipoli) - who always went by the name of Gordon.

But I agree, you won't get her to change her mind. I managed to disprove a story my OH's family insisted was true. Even with all the supporting documents, they still stick to their views.

Margaret in Burton
27-09-12, 12:28
My brother in law insists that they are related to W H Smith of the newsagent chain. His sister did the tree years ago and of course she's right. I took a quick look once, his Smith's were from Durham and I believe W H Smith was from London.

Of course with such an uncommon name as Smith they have to be related.

:p:p:p:D:D:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Zoemcdougall
27-09-12, 12:39
Thankyou Shona & Marg, will look to see if there is a link through his sister, this is how weird my family is One thinks she related to General Gordon, another thinks we are related to Bobby Ball !!!

Zoemcdougall
27-09-12, 12:56
I have just googled for info on General Gordon he had 2 sister's Mary & Helen.

Zoemcdougall
27-09-12, 13:07
on another site they state that General Gordon was one of 11 children but didn't list them all.

kiterunner
27-09-12, 15:32
There is a public member tree on ancestry which shows Hannah as born 8 Mar 1912 Holywell, daughter of Edward Edward and Sarah Catherine Roberts. But there is another one which says she was born in 1910, father John Edwards. You could try contacting the tree owners to see whether either of them has a copy of the marriage or death certificate.

Zoemcdougall
27-09-12, 15:46
Thankyou Kate,.I will send them a message

Zoemcdougall
27-09-12, 16:45
I have looked at the 1 with the parents Edward Edwards & Sarah Catherine Roberts. it had on there a photo of a lady that I instantly recognised Mary Barnett Brentnall Gordon Carr. she was my Great Grandmother. also 3 on Mary's Children, I of them being Cyril Gordon husband of Hannah.

Merry
27-09-12, 17:40
That's great :), but you still have to check they have done their research properly!!

Zoemcdougall
27-09-12, 18:17
I have contacted this person, so hopefully he'll have some information.

Janet
28-09-12, 02:14
My mother refuses to believe she isn't related to the Clarks shoe people or Mr Sainsbury who started the supermarket chain, even though her ancestors don't seem to be connected at all!!

Ooh, Merry, we might be apocryphally related! I have English rellies who used to claim to be on that same tree with your Mum's Mr Sainsbury. Yours aren't some of my 2nd cousin's Bradbury in-laws, are they??

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Zoe. Hope that new contact proves fruitful for you.

Zoemcdougall
28-09-12, 02:47
Hi Janet you have nothing to be sorry for, and thankyou haven't had a reply yet from him. I have one relative thinking she's related to General Gordon another saying we're related to a comedian, next
it'll be we're related to the PM ! Lol

Janet
28-09-12, 03:48
Good luck, Zoe! :d

Zoemcdougall
28-09-12, 04:27
Thankyou Janet