left years blank
search

page 5 has
Daniel Oakes aged 31
1911 census
Swansea
born Garston
Vessel

...... so - do I presume he is on a ship in Swansea Docks ??
my gg grandfather Carl Sacht in one census is given on the SS Fortuna in Grimsby ...I thought they named the vessels ??

could someone check whether Daniels wife is in Garston or Swansea please
Lucy Oakes aged 30 / 31
William Oakes aged 6
Francis aged 3 ....are in Garston ...if so ...what is the address please ?
are we allowed to do this online ??? ...not sure whether you can post 1911 details
thanks
allan:)

garstonite
26-09-12, 11:24
OK ...have found Lucy andWilliam and Francis in Garston 1911...cheers
allan

Shona
26-09-12, 11:30
I've viewed the image on FMP. The address page states that the vessel is from Liverpool and docked at Pottery Basin, North Dock, Swansea. The vessel name looks like Benlata.

merleyone
26-09-12, 13:12
The image also shows Daniel as 2nd Engineer, in case you didn't already know this.
As an aside, FMP have some records of another Seaman in the Merchant Marine named Daniel Oakes, including a photo, b. Garston on 21/9/1899, who may be related.

merleyone

garstonite
26-09-12, 13:46
Thanks Shona ....
Merleyone ...THAT`S MY GRANDAD.....I loved that man ...he died when I was about 8 ..about 1959
I am not on FMP....how can I get hold of that photo ?...I have loads of him ...but none in his sailors outfit .....my dad would have loved that photo ....
allan

Shona
26-09-12, 14:32
This is the image on FMP.

garstonite
27-09-12, 06:53
Thank you so much Shona...that`s brilliant ...made my day ...massive mop of hair for that period in time ...I actually laughed when I seen that ....brought back SO many memories ...he was a truly loving grandad ...he would sit me on his knee - give me half a crown / sweets / ollies /lucky bag etc - and say " look son , I can`t afford to give this to all my grandkids - so don`t tell anyone , keep it to yourself " ...then he would do the same to all his grandkids ...we never knew this until he died ...it was his way of making ALL his grandkids feel special to him...a lovely warm fat bellied grandad ...loved him to bits ...he had a massive heart attack minutes after he waved goodbye to us ....by the time we got home to our house on the bus , my dads brother was waiting for us to tell us the bad news ...so sad ...Thanks again ...took me back over 50 years........allan