PDA

View Full Version : Marriage & Birth of 1st child on the same day?

BlueSavannah
15-09-12, 19:49
Hi,

I've just located a marriage of my OH's ancestors on Familysearch and it took place on the 24th January 1897. Just looking at the bmd's on Ancestry and it would appear that their first son's date of birth is the 24th January 1897!

Is this something quite rare or was it quite common for a a couple to give birth and marry on the same day?

Olde Crone
15-09-12, 20:23
"Well my dear, I am afraid that I can only administer pain relief to MARRIED women......"

OC

BlueSavannah
15-09-12, 20:33
Lol OC

I would love to know which occurred first on this day; the wedding or the birth lol

Merry
15-09-12, 20:38
A contact of mine has an ancestor who married, gave birth and died on the same day. The baby survived and the father went on to marry my relative. This was in the first half of the 1800s and was noted by the vicar. The baby was not baptised for ages though, which always seemed strange to me.

In answer to your question though, I would think it pretty rare. The wedding would need a degree of organising so the date for that would be fixed. I should think in many cases if the child was born on the wedding day it would be the wedding that wouldn't go ahead!!

BlueSavannah
16-09-12, 06:27
Hi Merry,

Good to know it did happen even if not often. I've had a few that were very close but not the actual same day before :)

Nell
16-09-12, 09:28
Disgusting! Most of my ancestors at least had a decent interval of a fortnight to 3 weeks before the birth of their post-nuptial child!

Of course its possible the child was born prematurely so the wedding might have been planned with a decent interval in place. If married by licence it wouldn't have taken long to arrange. Was it by banns? That would need 3 weeks.