PDA

View Full Version : Help finding someone in 1911 please

Margaret in Burton
15-09-12, 10:41
Helping a friend who is just starting her tree.

Her grandfather William John Woods, sometimes John William, was born in 1902 in Burton on Trent, Staffordshire. June qtr 6b 437

His death reg in 1979 gives the date as 22 Feb 1902. He died in the Burton area.

I cannot find him in 1911. I don't know who his parents are. Friend has no certs to help.

Merry
15-09-12, 10:56
Is there a marriage cert she could get?

She doesn't want to do a Peter Harrison, does she?

Merry
15-09-12, 11:01
Is she aware of any siblings fior him?

Margaret in Burton
15-09-12, 11:03
Is there a marriage cert she could get?

She doesn't want to do a Peter Harrison, does she?

Is she aware of any siblings fior him?

Yes there will be a cert but funds are tight. She says her step mum has loads of paperwork and refuses to let her have it.

She didn't mention siblings, but then again I didn't ask.

I'm just trying to get her started and then will let her go herself. She doesn't have the internet so will have to use the library.

Merry
15-09-12, 11:10
If she isn't ging to get the cert, then I think she is going to have to come up with some positive siblings (great-aunts and uncles) or cousins to tie in. Otherwise he's not looking promising at the moment!

As you know, it's so easy to go wrong at this point and end up with completely the wrong tree. In a way it's good he doesn't show up too easily - I remember at one point you thought there was only one PHH born in Yorks at the right time so imagined one = the right one!! (I've done the same, but luckily for me it was further back, so had less impact on my tree)

Margaret in Burton
15-09-12, 11:15
If she isn't ging to get the cert, then I think she is going to have to come up with some positive siblings (great-aunts and uncles) or cousins to tie in. Otherwise he's not looking promising at the moment!

As you know, it's so easy to go wrong at this point and end up with completely the wrong tree. In a way it's good he doesn't show up too easily - I remember at one point you thought there was only one PHH born in Yorks at the right time so imagined one = the right one!! (I've done the same, but luckily for me it was further back, so had less impact on my tree)

Yes, we didn't really discuss grandad yesterday. We looked for her grandmothers. She was shocked when I told her how much certs cost. WDYTYA again making it look easy and not mentioning the cost.

Merry
15-09-12, 11:42
She says her step mum has loads of paperwork and refuses to let her have it.

Don't explain, but might there be a reason for that, connected with your friend's father's ancestors, or is it just somethig personal between them that probably has no bearing on Wm John Woods' history?

Margaret in Burton
15-09-12, 12:03
Don't explain, but might there be a reason for that, connected with your friend's father's ancestors, or is it just somethig personal between them that probably has no bearing on Wm John Woods' history?

I don't know Merry. I said to her there might be something she doesn't want you to see. Her dad is still alive but it sounds as though they aren't saying much.

Merry
15-09-12, 12:24
Do you know which way round his forenames were when he married?

Margaret in Burton
15-09-12, 12:40
Do you know which way round his forenames were when he married?

John W Woods at his marriage.

Just found his wife's father in Derby Jail in 1901. I wonder if that's part of the reason my friends dad and step mum aren't very forthcoming with any paperwork.

Merry
15-09-12, 12:44
I looked up all the Woods births in Burton on Trent district between 1901 and 1911 and I can identify all of them in 1911 except for the ones that died and two I didn't bother to look for who were born too close to Wm John's birth to be siblings.

So, he's either not at home, mistranscribed, changed his name or slipped through my net! lol Oh, or his family had their other children in a different place and he's been listed with the wrong place of birth.

Margaret in Burton
15-09-12, 13:24
I reckon the image is missing.

Just remembered I transcribed the 1911 Burton Directory into Excel years ago.

Just looked for a Woods family on there. There are only two.

Robert at No. 5 (No. 4 branch) Wellington Street

James at 218 Hawkins Lane

James Woods I think is the wrong one, found them in 1911 and they have a William James b 1900.

Robert Woods 1911 image isn't there. That branch of Wellington Street sits between No's 103 and 104.

No's 1, 2, 3, 4 (No. 4 branch) are there but not No.5

Merry
15-09-12, 13:35
Possible....I can only see a BoT marriage in 1908 though. Obviously he may have been from elsewhere though!

Merry
15-09-12, 13:46
Don't forget there's lpaces outsde Burton on Trent itself which are still in the district. There are at least five heads of house called Woods in district in 1911 (plus that missing one).

Margaret in Burton
15-09-12, 14:10
Don't forget there's lpaces outsde Burton on Trent itself which are still in the district. There are at least five heads of house called Woods in district in 1911 (plus that missing one).

Yes I know that, Swadlincote although in Derbyshire comes under Burton.

Funny how that image is missing and we can't find them though.

Going to advise my friend to get his birth cert. She said something yesterday about she thought somebody may have been illegitimate but didn't know who. It may have been one of her grandfathers. I'm stuck on the other one too. ;(;(;(
If she just gets the marriage cert it could have a made up father on it.

The Robert who's 1911 image is missing could well have been William John's grandfather and William was illegitimate.

Merry
15-09-12, 16:02
All very good points!

I hope the dob on the birth cert turns out to match the one on the death cert! :rolleyes:

Merry
15-09-12, 16:04
I've just realised the one who married in 1908 is this one:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=0&gsfn=robert&gsln=woods&sx=&f2=&f3=&f8=&rg_81004011__date=&rs_81004011__date=0&f17=&f18=&f23=&f20=&f21=&_8000C002=&_80008002=&_80018002=&f15=&f9=&f22=&gskw=church&prox=1&db=1911england&ti=5538&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=35&fh=1&h=38686844&recoff=

so that's another person/entry eliminated!