PDA

View Full Version : William Fidler

Asa
10-09-12, 19:43
I have a William Arthur Fidler born 1881 in Berkshire, illegitimate son of Ann, a dressmaker. His place of birth could be given as Hurley, Wargrave, Knowl Hill (where he was baptised) or Warren Row as his family lived in one of those in between sort of places.

In 1884, his mother married a man surnamed Bailey, a few months after the birth of anther illegitimate child, Harriet.

In 1891, William is with his maternal grandparents, parish of Wargrave, Berkshire and his place of birth is Wargrave - Piece: 1001; Folio: 24; Page: 7

I can't see what happened to him - there is a W F Fidler aged 19 born Reading (under 10 miles away) plumber's labourer in the Berkshire Lunatic Asylum who I've not yet identified but otherwise...

Can anyone help please?

Merry
10-09-12, 20:22
Re the one in the asylum - he is a 'cousin' in the house of Alfred and Mary Pounds in 1911. There's no birth reg in Reading.

Asa
10-09-12, 20:25
Thanks Merry - I hadn't seen that, which rules out him as being my William

Merry
10-09-12, 20:26
Does it?

Asa
10-09-12, 20:30
I'm certain - George is with the Pounds in 1891 and they're from one of the West Berkshire Fidler families which aren't related to mine.

Merry
10-09-12, 20:31
Ah, right!

Merry
10-09-12, 21:23
Found him!

Do you have FMP? Look at the army record for Wm Fidler, b Wargrave, nr Twyford, Berks 1880, last page has his mother's name :)

Asa
10-09-12, 21:36
Merry that's fantastic!!! Thank you very much! I'm off to read it - may be back tomorrow with more questions - thank you :D

marquette
11-09-12, 09:28
Wargrave is in Wokingham registration district, rather than Reading. So is Twyford and Hurst.

Both William Arthur and Harriet's births are registered in the Cookham Reg District, which inlcudes Hurley.
(Also Ann's marriage is reg. in Cookham)

Diane

Merry
11-09-12, 10:00
Wargrave is in Wokingham registration district, rather than Reading. So is Twyford and Hurst.

I didn't explain very well! It doesn't matter now, but I meant if someone says they were b in Reading on the census (the boy in the asylum) then discovering there's no birth reg for him in Reading district may mean he was actually born somewhere else, such as Wargrave etc. In any case, now we know the Reading person is just a red herring :)

marquette
11-09-12, 10:09
Sorry Merry,

When I found them in Cookham Reg. district, I thought it more likely they were born in Hurley rather than Wargrave or Twyford, and that it might help for other census's or later records.

Di

Merry
11-09-12, 10:26
Is that the same William in 1911 married to Deborah?

William Arthur Fidler is the only William Fidler registered for birth in Cookham or Wokingham between 1876 and 1883. This chap says b Wargrave abt 1878/9 which is a couple of years older than William Arthur should be.

I don't see how it can be him as William and Deborah were married in 1903 in Wokingham district, but William's army record (def him as his mother is named as Ann Bailey) says he was posted to China in Sept 1902 and didn't come back until Dec 1904!

He was discharged from the army reserves before 1911 but I can't see him.....only the one with Deborah. ;(

Asa
11-09-12, 12:02
Thanks Marquette - they were actually born in Warren Row which was in the parish of Hurley and later Knowl Hill but people from there often used the church in Wargrave so yes, despite saying Wargrave or Twyford, they were actually born in Cookham district.

I can't see him either, Merry and if he wasn't using the Arthur it's going to make it even harder. The William married to Deborah is a cousin of the William we're looking at - actually born in Remenham, Berkshire which is Henley registration district - this area is on the Berks/ Oxon border. I don't have any idea what happened to William Arthur and didn't even know if he survived childhood until you found that for me:)

kiterunner
11-09-12, 12:24
What exactly are we looking for? I'll have a look if I know what to look for!

Asa
11-09-12, 12:26
I'd like to know what became of him if possible - I only had his baptism birth reg and the 1891 census. But I haven't had much chance to look since Merry found his army record - will look more tonight

kiterunner
11-09-12, 12:33
So we're looking for him in 1901 and 1911? And for a death?

kiterunner
11-09-12, 12:48
So I don't forget, "S Settlements" in the army papers will be "Straits Settlements".

Merry
11-09-12, 12:49
So we're looking for him in 1901 and 1911? And for a death?

I'm not sure where he was in 1901 - if you want to look at the last page of his army record (William Fidler b 1880 in Twyford according to the FMP index) it tells you his postings. Can't remember if he was abroad in 1901!

He was discharged from the reserves in 1910.

kiterunner
11-09-12, 13:02
Ah yes, he was in South Africa in 1901.

Also I see he was transferred to the reserves in 1905 and discharged in 1910, as you say, but on the Military History Sheet section 1 Service at Home and Abroad, that "S Settlements" bit is 7-12-04 to 24-1-10 (when he was discharged). So, doesn't that mean he was in the Straits Settlements (Malaysia / Singapore) when he was discharged? In which case maybe he stayed out there?

Merry
11-09-12, 14:06
"S Settlements"

Ah, I didn't know what that stood for! Maybe he didn't come home then?

Asa
11-09-12, 14:12
I'm peeking in on my iPhone but my next question would be is there anywhere online ican look for him if he stayed out East? I tried before with another relation without any success - would he come under British deaths overseas if he died out there?

Merry
11-09-12, 14:18
would he come under British deaths overseas if he died out there?

Only if someone informed the right authority. I don't remember seeing any overseas deaths when I was looking for anything helpful on FMP yesterday!

Asa
11-09-12, 16:12
Well thank you all for your help. At least I know a bit about him now.