PDA

View Full Version : Maria Dickinson (FMFFMM)

Mary from Italy
07-09-12, 19:11
Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Maria Dickinson

Date and place of birth
About 1769, possibly in Yorkshire.

Names of parents
Not known.

Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Not known.

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
Married Thomas Chester at St. Andrew's parish church, Gargrave, North Yorkshire, on 29th September 1788.

Occupation(s) - if any
Not known.

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK)
1788-1790: Gargrave, North Yorkshire
1800-1811: Carleton-in-Craven, North Yorkshire
1835: Skipton, North Yorkshire

Date, place and cause of death
1835 at Skipton, North Yorkshire

Date and place of burial
9th August 1835 at St. Mary's parish church, Carleton-in-Craven, North Yorkshire, aged 66

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Not known.

Memorial inscription - if any
Not known.

For husband Thomas Chester, see http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11710&highlight=thomas+chester

For daughter Maria Chester, see http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9701&highlight=maria+chester

Janet
08-09-12, 04:36
Mary, did you notice that in Josie Walsh's Craven Indexes for Carleton Baptisms 1739-1781 there is a partly unreadable entry that she has transcribed as:
Surname ????????
Forenames Mary
Parents ???? & Sarah
Born
Baptised 24.7.1768
Comments

Mary from Italy
08-09-12, 09:54
Ooh, I hadn't seen that. Off to have a look

Mary from Italy
08-09-12, 11:14
Hmm. There are no other Dickinson baptisms in Carleton in that period, and when Maria married in Gargrave in 1788 she was OTP.

I can't find a baptism in Gargrave either; there is one in Skipton in 1768, but the parents' names (Richard and Janet) don't match any of Maria's children's names.

So I'll definitely bear the Carleton one in mind, but I think it's unlikely at the moment.

Thanks anyway :)

Janet
09-09-12, 01:16
Mary, I see that FindMyPast has it as Joseph Chester, not Thomas Chester, according to Boyd's as transcribed by SoG:

Boyd's Marriage Index 1538-1840 Transcription

First Name: MARIA
Last Name: DICKINSON
Collections from: United Kingdom
Category: Vital Records (Birth, Marriage, Death)
Record collection: Marriages
Record set: Boyd's Marriage Index 1538-1840
County: Yorkshire
Year: 1788
Spouse First Name: Maria
Spouse Last Name: DICKINSON
First Names: Joseph
Spouse Full First Name: Maria
Birth Year:
Place: GARGRAVE
Year: 1788
Spouse Forename: JOSEPH
Spouse Surname: CHESTER
Supplied First Name: Jos
Supplied Last Name: CHESTER
Society of Genealogists

Transcriptions © Society of Genealogists

Mary from Italy
09-09-12, 04:39
I've been working from this transcription, which I assume is correct as they've also transcribed the signatures (well, he made his mark, but at least the name was transcribed twice):

http://www.archive.org/stream/parishregisterof28garg#page/254/mode/2up/search/dickinson

Still, I shall have to try and get a look at the original sometime to be sure.

Thanks for pointing it out :)

Janet
09-09-12, 04:52
OK, you're looking at The Parish Register of Gargrave, in the County of York, 1558-1812. I was just looking at that too, but I found it on Google books. It does seem to be Thomas. SoG may have read Jos where it actually said Thos?

I see the index has a rather long listing for Dickenson/Dickinson/Dickonson/Dykanson (and another for Dickson/Dicson/Dixon/Dykeson). Could Maria's birth be hiding under one of those variants?

Also, I don't see where it says she's a spinster. Is there any chance that Dickinson is not the name she was born with?

Mary from Italy
09-09-12, 05:20
OK, you're looking at The Parish Register of Gargrave, in the County of York, 1558-1812. I was just looking at that too, but I found it on Google books. It does seem to be Thomas. SoG may have read Jos where it actually said Thos?

Yes, that's what I was thinking.

I see the index has a rather long listing for Dickenson/Dickinson/Dickonson/Dykanson (and another for Dickson/Dicson/Dixon/Dykeson). Could Maria's birth be hiding under one of those variants?

I've had a look, and haven't found her so far.

Also, I don't see where it says she's a spinster. Is there any chance that Dickinson is not the name she was born with?

It's always possible, but I think it would have been usual to specify if she was a widow. There are a lot of other marriages in Gargrave around the same time where the marital status isn't specified, so it may just be that the vicar was a bit careless.