PDA

View Full Version : Missing Abbotts, help please.

Lal
03-09-12, 08:43
I have reached the point with my tree where I am searching for the same missing information over and over again - with no results. I only have about 1200 people but they are documented and I am happy that they are mine!! lol.

Before I put the Abbotts to bed this is one last shot to see if anyone is happy to help me with them as I feel have no option but to give up!

The two eldest children I have sorted as follows: Joseph Alexander Jnr b: Woolwich June 1850 - not on 1851 or 1861 but he is on 1871 with his mother and I have his MC and have found him on all subsequent census. Mary b: Port Royal, Jamaica Dec 1854, not on 1861 but I have her MC and subsequent census. Their mother and sister are not with either of them on any census after 1871.

Here goes with the problem ones:

JOSEPH ALEXANDER ABBOTT bc 1827 (from DC) father GEORGE a farmer (info from MC)
Marries 30 April 1850 In Plumstead, no address just Plumstead, full age, Gunner In Royal Artilley
Dies 29 May 1867, age 40, Barracks garrison, Sheerness, a Corporal in RA.

Cannot find him on any Census and have had to assume he was posted away with army. One child born in Woolwich, one in Jamaica and the last in Ireland. Cannot find George either.

ELIZABETH HICKS bc 1826 Bodmin, Cornwall (per 1871Census) father John a labourer (from MC)
Marries as above, no address, full age, no trade
Widowed May 1867

Poss found her on 1841 in Carbis Bay, Redruth - John age 40, Ann age 40, Elizabeth 15, Maryann 10 & Eliza 4. Cannot prove this is her.
Definitely on 1871, widow in Sheerness with three children.

She is missing on all other census. Cannot find a death, nor a re-marriage.

EMMA: bc 1857, Cork, Ireland. No BC as this predates the Irish records - only found this out after I applied for it! No marriage, no death. In fact she only appears on the 1871 census.

There are trees on Ancestrythat have Elizabeths death as being in Bodmin in March 1901 but I cannot find her there on the census so am loathe to send for a cert having had a few wrong ones lately and although she was born in Bodmin her son & daughter were living in London & Kent.

Please can anyone fill in the gaps? Where are they all on 1841, 51 and 61?
Where was Elizabeth after 1871?
What happened to Emma?

I would be most grateful for any replies!

Lal.

kiterunner
03-09-12, 08:58
Findmypast has something called the 1861 Worldwide Army Index taken from paylists and it shows a Joseph Abbott number 7707, Gunner in the 1st Divisional Depot RA, stationed at either Sheerness, Great Yarmouth, Woolwich or Aldershot. The list of pieces missing from the 1861 census includes Woolwich Arsenal and part of Great Yarmouth, so they may have been in one of those places.

kiterunner
03-09-12, 09:05
I wonder whether Joseph sr was born in Ireland.

Merry
03-09-12, 09:36
I notice Joseph senr doesn't have a middle name at marriage or death (indexes), so where does that show up? Is it only on entries for his children?

kiterunner
03-09-12, 09:53
FamilySearch has a christening at St Andrew, Surry, Jamaica, of an Elizabeth Ann, 31 Oct 1852, date of birth 19 Sep 1852, parents Joseph & Elizabeth Abbott, abode New Castle, father's occupation Gunner Royal Artillery. You can view the image on FamilySearch.

kiterunner
03-09-12, 10:07
I can't find Elizabeth Ann on the 1871 census unless she is Elizabeth Abbott, unmarried, 18, servant at Sheerness Barracks and Officers Quarters, but her birthplace is given as Woolwich, Kent.

kiterunner
03-09-12, 10:08
Hmmmm, interestingly enough, FamilySearch has a marriage for Elizabeth Ann Abbott and William Sanders, 27 May 1872 at Sheerness, Kent, groom age 35, father Henry Sanders, bride age 21, father Joseph Abbott.

kiterunner
03-09-12, 10:12
So this is the Sanderses in 1881 at 6 Old Market Plain, Lowestoft, Suffolk:
William Sanders Head Mar 44 Sergeant Royal Artillery Lancashire Prescot
Elizabeth A Do Wife Mar 29 West Indies Jamaica
William R Do Son 8 Scholar Kent Sheerness
Joseph H Do Son 5 Do Suffolk Lowestoft
Edward C Do Son 1 Do Do.

kiterunner
03-09-12, 10:27
Not found them in 1891 yet but this is 1901 at 87 High Street, Lowestoft:
Elizabeth Sanders Head Wid 47 Beerhouse Keeper Jamaica
Alfred Sanders Son S 16 Apprentice to Basket Maker Suffolk Lowestoft
Marcus Do Grandson 3 ms Do Do
Henry Fletcher Visitor 7 London Bow E.

kiterunner
03-09-12, 10:39
1891 census at 45 Dukes Hd St (Greyhound Inn), Lowestoft:
Elizabeth A Saunders Head Wid 39 Publican West Indies (Jamaica),
William R Do Son S 18 Auctioneer's Clerk Kent Sheerness
Henry J Do Son S 16 Pupil Teacher (Elementary School) Suffolk Lowestoft
Charles E Do Son 11 Scholar Do Do
Alfred G Do Son 6 Do Do Do
Margaret E Do Daur 4 Do Do Do

kiterunner
03-09-12, 10:46
And the 1911 at 5 Alexandra Road, Lowestoft:
Elizabeth Sanders Head 57 Widow Boarding House Keeper Jamaica (Resident) British Parents.

I was hoping she might have Emma with her on at least one of the censuses but no luck there unless Henry Fletcher is Emma's son. Still, it does give you a few people to add to your tree!

Lal
03-09-12, 10:57
Sorry for my delayed reaction to your replies - I am at work and had to do some! lol

The middle name for Joseph is on the two MCs of Mary & Joseph Jnr.

I have no sub to find my past and haven't for some time ( got Ancestry) but I will go and buy some credits and look for those. I had forgotten that some census may be missing so that is really useful info. Thank you.

Elizabeth Ann was a great find and fits nicely date wise, I am so grateful for your help. There are no clues in the MCs witnesses re Elizabeth Ann/Saunders.

I would imagine it is quite likely for Elizabeth to be a servant at the barracks as her family were living at Minster, not too far away. They were all working and even Emma at 14 was working as a general servant.

Thank you for your time and help. Thank goodness I just didn't give up!!

Kindest regards Lal