View Full Version : George JESSAMY

Lindsay
31-08-12, 18:39
Name - "official" name and what they were known as
George Jessamy
Date and place of birth
Dublin about 1791
Names of parents
Not known. Possibly Joseph and Frances (two reasons: 1.they baptised a child in London about the right time to be George's sibling 2. Frances Jessamy age 77 was buried in Hammersmith 1827 when George was also living there
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
Married Hannah Kite in Pennicuik, Scotland on 21 Sept 1812
Occupation(s) - if any
1. In the Cambridge militia
2. Shoemaker
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1812-1816 moving round with the militia
1816 to about 1820 Colchester, Essex
1820s - Hammersmith London
1841 onwards Fulham, London
I've fouind him in every census except 1871
Date, place and cause of death
1 April 1878 age 86, at Churchfield Road Acton;decay of nature
Date and place of burial.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any

Link to wife Hannah: http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11799&highlight=hannah+kite
Link to son Henry: http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9534&highlight=jessemey

Shona
02-09-12, 19:11
From Family Search:

Frances Mary Jessamy, born 1 Dec 1784, baptised 9 Dec 1787, Westminster. Parents: Joseph and Frances Jessamy Is this George's sister?.

Pallot's Birth Index:

Jessamy, Geo (Geo and Hannah), St Paul's Hammersmith, 1820
Jessamy, Jos (Geo and Hannah), St Paul's Hammersmith, 1820 ( George names a son after his father, Joseph?

From Family Search:

6 January 1861, Frances Jessamy marries Thomas Morgan, St Paul's Hammersmith. Bride's father: George Jessamy George named a daughter after his mother Frances and/or his sister Frances)

All this seems to support the assertion that George's mother and father were Joseph and Frances Jessamy.

Lindsay
03-09-12, 18:19
Thanks for looking, Shona.

I've been coming round to the view that Joseph and Frances probably were his parents for a while now - Jessamy's an unusual name, and all those little bits of evidence do stack up nicely.

What I really want is his baptism - asking for the impossible, perhaps! :)

Shona
04-09-12, 16:03
I note you have George being born in Dublin. Do you have supporting evidence for this? I have found a George Jessamy born in Glasgow in 1768. He served in the Drogoons.

Lindsay
04-09-12, 18:00
My George gives Dublin as his pob in every census so I'm quite happy with that - I have spotted the other George before, but he's too old.

Probably the older George fits into the family somewhere, though, especially with the dragoons - my George was in the militia, and I wonder if he was born in Ireland because his dad was in the army.