View Full Version : Take One 4xGreat Grand-Parent Robert Anderson

Shona
31-08-12, 09:57
Name - "official" name and what they were known as: Robert Anderson
Date and place of birth: c1779, Fife
Names of parents
Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Details of each of his or her marriages: Janet Young, 6 Aug 1804, Edinburgh

"Robert Anderson and Janet Young, 30 September 1804, produced lines of irregular marriage dated Edinburgh 6 August 1804 (signed John Robertson, minister) and are here inserted as married"

Occupation(s) - Ag Lab
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!): Village of Aberdour Easter, 1841
Date, place and cause of death: Before 1851
Date and place of burial.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any

kiterunner
31-08-12, 10:00
Have you viewed the image of the marriage entry on Scotland's People, Shona, and if you have, does it give any further information about Robert? Also, do any of his children's baptisms have witnesses' names on them?

Shona
31-08-12, 11:48
Have you viewed the image of the marriage entry on Scotland's People, Shona, and if you have, does it give any further information about Robert? Also, do any of his children's baptisms have witnesses' names on them?

It's on the To Do list - when I buy some credits. I wish SP wld do an annual subscription. I haven't worked this branch thoroughly.

I have a CD of Pre-1855 deaths in Fife (worked out cheaper to buy this than paying for credits on SP - and I am happy to do look ups for others). The only death of Robert Anderson in Aberdour is on 19 Nov 1847, father of Charlotte Anderson. There was a will, but SP don't have Fife. However, this is a different Robert Anderson. He also lived in Aberdour. 1841 has him, aged 70, plus James, 25, Charlotte, 20, and Agnes, 20.

The CD has the death of Janet Anderson, alias Young, wife of Robert, in Aberdour Easter on 23 April 1852, buried 26 April 1852. Info via OPRs.

The children for Robert Anderson and Janet Young I have identified via Family Search are:

Mary 1804
William 1806
Hugh 1811 - my ancestor.
Isobel 1813
Anne 1815
Janet 1818
Robert 1820

1841 census Village of Aberdour Easter

Robert Anderson, 62, ag lab
Janet Young, 63
William, 30, carter
Ann, 20
Robert, 15, stone m
Elisabeth Rollie, 12

kiterunner
31-08-12, 13:35
Ancestry has this family transcribed as Auderson on the 1851 census at 1 High Street, Aberdour, Fife:
Robert 79 head, labourer, born Aberdour
Janet 75 wife, born Auchtertool, Fifeshire
Ann 36 daur, out door worker, born Aberdour
Janet Robertson 4 granddaughter born Aberdour.

kiterunner
31-08-12, 13:47
I have a CD of Pre-1855 deaths in Fife (worked out cheaper to buy this than paying for credits on SP - and I am happy to do look ups for others). The only death of Robert Anderson in Aberdour is on 19 Nov 1847, father of Charlotte Anderson. There was a will, but SP don't have Fife. However, this is a different Robert Anderson. He also lived in Aberdour. 1841 has him, aged 70, plus James, 25, Charlotte, 20, and Agnes, 20.
Scotland's People does have a will of a Robert Anderson, sometime of the Post Office, Edinburgh, afterwards residing in Aberdour, Cupar Sheriff Court, date is 24 May 1848 but I think this is the date when it was proved rather than the date of death so could well be the one who died in 1847. I thought that Cupar was in Fife? Anyway, no, this one isn't your Robert.

The CD has the death of Janet Anderson, alias Young, wife of Robert, in Aberdour Easter on 23 April 1852, buried 26 April 1852. Info via OPRs.
This suggests that Robert died after Janet otherwise it would say "widow" or "relict".

Looking at the Statutory Death Registrations (i.e. post-1855) on SP, there is one Robert Anderson death in Aberdour, Fife, between 1855 and 1861 in the age range 75 to 95. Messing about with the search to narrow it down, it was in 1859 and he was 87. Looks likely to be your Robert, doesn't it? If you view the death registration image then it should give you his parents' names, if the informant had the info.

Shona
31-08-12, 15:29
Wow! That is astounding - thank you. Will buy those credits asap.