PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Smith (Week 57 - MFMMFF)

Merry
31-08-12, 09:19
Name - "official" name and what they were known as

Thomas Smith

Date and place of birth

About 1759 at Burford, Oxfordshire

Names of parents

William Smith, carrier and Mary X

Date and place of baptism - if applicable

29 Jan 1760 at St John the Baptist, Burford, Oxfordshire

Details of each of his or her marriages - if any

Firstly to my 4xg-grandmother, Hannah Thackwell on 26 April 1786 at the Friends' Meeting House, Worcester, Worcestershire.

Secondly to Hannah Horniman nee Brewerton on 28 October 1819 at the Friends' Meeting House, reading Berkshire.

Occupation(s) - if any

Hatter

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).

Early life, Burford, Oxfordshire
Married life with Hannah, Witney, Oxfordshire
After second marriage, 8, King Street, Reading, Berkshire

Date, place and cause of death

9 January 1843 at Reading, Berkshire of paralysis

Date and place of burial.

Not found (probably not looked for! I expect he's at the Friends' Meeting House in Reading)

Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable

Will signed 14 Octoer 1840 Probate granted to widow and step-son 16 February 1843

Memorial inscription - if any

Not looked for

Link to first wife:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=11778&highlight=hannah+thackwell

Link to son:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=9504&highlight=hannah+thackwell

Merry
31-08-12, 11:24
Information from the Quaker Meeting Minutes:

Meeting at Witney 11mo 14th day 1785

Request by Thomas Smith to be 'received into Membership'

Meeting at Witney 12mo 12th day 1785

Thomas Smith of Witney 'received into Membership'

Meeting at Charlbury 2mo 13th day 1786

Thomas Smith of Witney, son of William & Mary Smith, both deceased, has laid before us his Intention of taking in Marriage Hannah Thackwell of Worcester, spinster, whose parents are deceased & requested our Certificate for that Purpose. We therefore direct William Hathaway and Thomas Wood to make Enquiry concerning his Life and Conversation, and Clearness in Relation to Marriage and make Report at next Meeting.

Meeting at Witney 3mo 13th day 1786

Report acceptable & copy of sent to Worcester Meeting confirming same.

Shona
31-08-12, 11:56
How wonderful to have such detailed information.:)

Merry
31-08-12, 12:06
Yes, particularly when they are callled Smith! lol Trying to go back from Thomas has taken me years of research and I have only managed one more generation!!

In general Quaker record are excellent! I was lucky enough to source many biographies of my ancestors and other relations from the Quaker Library in London - great stuff!!