PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry WW1 service records database soon to be completed

kiterunner
24-10-09, 15:21
I saw in a magazine that ancestry have announced they will be uploading all the rest of the surviving WW1 army records in time for Remembrance Day. I'm still hoping one of my missing "B" relatives will turn up misfiled in among the last few letters of the alphabet!

Trish@Somerset
24-10-09, 16:15
Will keep a look out for this, thanks Kite. Most of my names I'm looking for start with 'B', probably been confused with 'Z'!

Muggins in Sussex
24-10-09, 18:17
According to one of the members of staff at Kew today, only about a third of them survived - the rest were destroyed during the blitz

chrissiebee
24-10-09, 21:42
According to one of the members of staff at Kew today, only about a third of them survived - the rest were destroyed during the blitz

Sadly, one of them destroyed during the blitz was my Grandads...........

Chris

Tilly Mint
24-10-09, 21:51
Thank you....i hope to find some more......

Joan of Archives
24-10-09, 22:06
Mine too Chris :( His would have been the most interesting, he served in the Camel Corp in Egypt :)

chrissiebee
25-10-09, 22:32
Mine too Chris :( His would have been the most interesting, he served in the Camel Corp in Egypt :)

I quite agree - my paternal grandfather was in the Hussars and the Lancers, served in Iraq, in Ypres twice, and the Somme, and came out the other end fairly unscathed. Oh, what stories he could tell - I wish and wish that I had taken more notice when I was in my early teens..............

Phoenix
26-10-09, 10:16
you do get mis-sorts - I knew a woman who was patiently working her way through the films, noting them! - so I too have a vague hope left.

This is presumably why TNA are confidently planning to remove the microfilm from the search rooms. Certainly, it is easier to search online, but I do wish Ancestry had digitised the complete images, so you could bee the page numbers which are visible on the microfilm, to be assured that no images had been missed.