PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a link

Muggins in Sussex
27-08-12, 16:35
I am tring to find out whether there is a link between a Webb family in Altrincham and a Webb family in Sheffield and am getting very confused!

I have the birth cert of an Eric Webb, b 1919 Sheffied, died 1977 Sheffield. It gives his father as James Walter Webb and mother as Florence, nee Beddall. I think they married in 1895 http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Transcriptions/WRY/KimberworthMarriages1895-1899.html

James Walter seems to have been brought up by his grandparents, James and Sarah/Selina Frith.

In 1901 James Walter is living next door to another family of Webbs - including Selina and Thomas who seem to have married in 1868.

What I am really trying to work out is whether there is any connection between these Sheffield Webbs and the family of Frank Webb b.1875, plumber, lived in Altrincham.

The only connection I can see (that I can mention!) is that Frank Webb's wife, Beatrice Winnifred (Rathbone) and her family also hailed from Sheffield.

This is probably all a red herring, but something I need to do for elimination reasons

Many thanks

Merry
27-08-12, 16:52
I don't have time to look any more now, but when you said the Sheffield James Walter was brought up by grandparents.......I should think these are his parents:

Marriages Dec 1868
Frith Selina Ecclesall 9c 312
Webb Thomas Ecclesall 9c 312

Edit - just noticed you sad that already!

Muggins in Sussex
27-08-12, 17:00
I don't have time to look any more now, but when you said the Sheffield James Walter was brought up by grandparents.......I should think these are his parents:

Marriages Dec 1868
Frith Selina Ecclesall 9c 312
Webb Thomas Ecclesall 9c 312

Edit - just noticed you sad that already!

LOL! Thanks anyhow Merry :) - That is the main link so far- the fact that Beatrice Winnifred, wife of Frank Webb in Altrincham, was originally also an Ecclesall person

Merry
27-08-12, 19:02
What was the surname of Beatrice Rathbone's mother?

Merry
27-08-12, 19:09
Pasley....

Merry
27-08-12, 19:28
I think I'm right in saying that whilst Beatrice was born in Sheffield, neither of her parents were (Thomas W Rathbone, Runcorn Cheshire and Elizabeth Pasley, Retford Notts) Thomas's previous wife was from Runcorn like him and the first one (Esther) we don't know. ......So, if we are to tie the Sheffield Webbs/Frith/Warburton (Mrs Frith senr's surname) to Rathbone/Pasley then it's not likely to be any sort of common ancestor as they are not all from the same area.

Muggins in Sussex
28-08-12, 05:59
I think I'm right in saying that whilst Beatrice was born in Sheffield, neither of her parents were (Thomas W Rathbone, Runcorn Cheshire and Elizabeth Pasley, Retford Notts) Thomas's previous wife was from Runcorn like him and the first one (Esther) we don't know. ......So, if we are to tie the Sheffield Webbs/Frith/Warburton (Mrs Frith senr's surname) to Rathbone/Pasley then it's not likely to be any sort of common ancestor as they are not all from the same area.

Thank you Merry - that makes sense to me - also the Altrincham Webbs all seemed to be from Altrincham/Manchester/Knutsford - so I guess I should look forwards rather than backwards!

I have often wondered what brought Beatrice Rathbone to Altrincham. She is there in 1901 as a servant, yet didn't marry Frank until 1905. Maybe it was just the job that brought her to Altrincham.

Thanks again