PDA

View Full Version : Post 1911 census

Anglosaxon
27-08-12, 10:40
Hi,

Do you know where we an get more modern census details as I would love to know who was living with my Granny in the late 40's early 50's.

Merry
27-08-12, 10:44
The censuses are closed for 100 years, so the next release shouldn't be until 1st Jan 2022 (the 1921 census)! The 1931 census was destroyed and the 1941 census wasn't taken so after 2022 there won't be another release until 2052! (all excepting any changes in legislation)

You could try the electoral rolls if you have your granny's address. They would list adult eligible to vote. Electoral rolls are held at local main libraries and record offices.

Toots
27-08-12, 12:18
Slightly earlier than what you are after but you could apply to the 1939 register. This was for identity cards prior to WW11. You apply for information about a particular address stating who you expect to be living their and their relationship to yourself. Provided the occupants are related to you they will send you details of all the deceased in residence.

The link to the application form is:-

http://www.ic.nhs.uk/webfiles/Services/1939-Register-Service/1939_Register_Application_Form_v7.pdf

Merry
27-08-12, 13:20
You would have to be pretty curious to fork out £42!! Important to read all the notes on the right of the form too.

Toots
27-08-12, 15:05
I was lucky when I sent for my fathers household and it was money well spent. It listed all his brothers and sisters and included their dates of birth. No need for me to buy certificates to prove their parents as they were still at home with my grandparents.

Merry
27-08-12, 15:16
Oooh, that was good then! I don't have any family on my tree it would be worth forking out for and where I know the address. My dad was one of 14, but most of them would have left home by 1939 :(

Toots
27-08-12, 15:59
I have another house I'm interested in on my mothers side but can't remember if its 80 or 82 and obviously want to be sure. This is my maternal grandfather's house and it will answer a lot of questions.

Unfortunately I have nobody to ask the exact house number. I know they lived there for many years so hoping to find them in the electrol rolls next time I'm in the area.

Merry
27-08-12, 16:56
Could you contact the local library and ask them to look? I've often done that!

Toots
27-08-12, 18:58
I never thought of that, I do like doing my own research though and visit the area regularly, going there later this week so may make time to nip into the library.

Merry
27-08-12, 19:01
You are very lucky to live near an area you are researching!

Toots
27-08-12, 19:54
I don't but have family still living in the area so visit quite often.

Merry
27-08-12, 19:56
Where is your avatar of, Toots?

Toots
27-08-12, 20:15
It's a victorian photo of London Merry. It's one I googled to try and give some idea of what it was like to live there for a tree I was doing for a friend.

Muggins in Sussex
01-09-12, 12:08
Slightly earlier than what you are after but you could apply to the 1939 register. This was for identity cards prior to WW11. You apply for information about a particular address stating who you expect to be living their and their relationship to yourself. Provided the occupants are related to you they will send you details of all the deceased in residence.

The link to the application form is:-

http://www.ic.nhs.uk/webfiles/Services/1939-Register-Service/1939_Register_Application_Form_v7.pdf

I have been told that the entry in the register could be used for the purposes of obtaining a passport - If that is correct, it could explain why some of us have relatives who have a passport when there is no corresponding birth certificate :confused:

Uncle John
01-09-12, 20:36
I have been told that the entry in the register could be used for the purposes of obtaining a passport - If that is correct, it could explain why some of us have relatives who have a passport when there is no corresponding birth certificate :confused:

Because the Muggins family were no ordinary mortals, as you (and we!) are welll aware.

Olde Crone
01-09-12, 21:21
Even today, someone whose birth does not appear to have been registered can get a passport/a state pension etc by swearing an affidavit and producing some sort of paper trail of their existence, which would include such things as being registered for rations in 1939 and appearing on various electoral rolls.

OC

crawfie
02-09-12, 14:01
My OH was born abroad and his parents never registered him with the British Embassy, so he has no official british birth certificate. We have to make sure his passport is renewed promptly as it would be a nightmare to try and prove anything now.

Uncle John
03-09-12, 11:23
My brother has a birth certificate issued in Nigeria (under British rule, mid-1940s - the proforma says ........ 192... so there wasn't much demand!). I last saw it many years ago adorned in Sellotape. I haven't found his name in the Overseas registers so I presume my parents never bothered. They always had a casual attitude to paperwork.

JBee
03-09-12, 12:56
My grandson is hopefully to be born in Dec in the USA and his parents will have to go through the process of getting him registered and a passport issued as they hope to come home in February for a visit if all goes well.