PDA

View Full Version : Place of Fairlawn in Kent ? Jamaica

dillington
26-08-12, 16:49
One of my branches( John Thomas SIMPSON) was b.c. 1800 in Otterden, Kent --his sister Amelia b.c. 1821 in Fairlawn, Kent however I am looking for a connection between this place Fairlawn-shows as an estate-- with Trelawnyd Jamaica as 2 nephews, not Amelia's sons, are shown 1851 as b. Trelawnyd.
As J.T.SIMPSON was a wine & spirit merchant , I thought it reasonable that there may be a connection with the rum trade.
I have contacted Kent FH with some limited success but before I fork out some money to ask them to look further, maybe some one here has some knowledge.
Thanks in anticipation--Dillington

Phoenix
26-08-12, 17:13
There is a large disparity in age between John Thomas Simpson and Amelia. Do you have documentation for them being brother and sister?

Otterden is near Faversham, Fairlawne a large estate near Ightham Mote. Do you have them on censuses for either of these places?

kiterunner
26-08-12, 18:50
FamilySearch has a baptism for John Thomas Simpson 6 Aug 1797 at Otterden Kent, parents John Thomas Simpson Esq and Hannah.

1851 census entry at Farndon, Cheshire, where I presume the above information comes from:
J T Simpson Head Mar 49 Merchant Kent Ottertton
Phillis Simpson Wife Mar 39 Cheshire Wrenbury
Eleanor Simpson Daur U 11 Lancashire Liverpool
Amelia Simpson Sister U 30 Kent Fairlawn
John Simpson Nephew U 17 Jamaica Trelawny
Thomas Simpson Nephew U 12 Jamaica Do.

kiterunner
26-08-12, 18:55
There are some Simpson baptisms at Trelawny on FamilySearch but it doesn't show the parents' names.

Merry
26-08-12, 19:02
I keep reading this bit.....

I am looking for a connection between this place Fairlawn-shows as an estate-- with Trelawnyd Jamaica

over and over, but I think I must be punctuating it wrong or something, as I don't get what we are being asked to find out?? :o:o:o

Phoenix
26-08-12, 20:36
It looks as if John or his father were at Fairlawn from John's death in 1866:

"Chester, John Thomas Simpson, Esq. , son of the late John Simpson, Esq., formerly of Fairlawn, Kent "

Phoenix
26-08-12, 20:39
Ah: Description:
An original antique engraved view. Mounted and ready to frame. This is an excellent opportunity to puchase a decorative, unusual and attractive engraving. Hand colouring not contemporary but delicately and expertly executed. Printed circa 1820 . A splendid view of Fair Lawn - Kent - the Seat of John Simpson. Bookseller Inventory # SMK/1902

Phoenix
26-08-12, 20:41
Probably not the cheapest way to find out where someone lived:D

Phoenix
26-08-12, 20:45
On Friday, the 5th instant, at Croydon Church, by the Rev. Dr IRELAND, Prebend of Westminster, John SIMPSON, Esq., of Portland-place, and of Fair Lawn, near Seven Oaks, in the County of Kent, to Miss BAKER, daughter of Robert BARKER, Esq., of Croydon.

Source: Morning Chronicle, Saturday, August 6, 1803, Issue 10674. [SDY]

I would point out at this stage that contrary to the impression given by an episode of WDYTYA, the records of Croydon Parish Church are not held in Croydon!

Phoenix
26-08-12, 21:23
This probably answers the question:

FAIRLAWN, on the skirts of Wrotham Parish, and partly in Shiphourne, is the seat
of John Simpson, Esq. a West Indian; now Sheriff for this County. It was formerly
the property of the Vanes, Lords Barnard, and Viscounts Vane, who resided

werburgh
27-08-12, 08:46
If you need to check out Jamaica I can recommend:

https://www.keysecure.com/jamaicanfamilysearch.com/Subscribe/subscribe.htm

This is an excellent site(and cheap) where I found two relevant burials.

dillington
28-08-12, 08:00
Thank you to Phoenix for the answer to my query ..some of the other replies I was already aware of but thanks anyway! I felt that there had to be a connection but no proof. Where did the info come from Phoenix?

Phoenix
28-08-12, 20:29
British Newspaper Archive - I'm not a subscriber, just searched and was lucky to find an intelligible bit of info
Amazon
Googling and
Google Books - the last is very good for landed gentry, stately homes etc

Shona
29-08-12, 09:03
I wonder if the two nephews came to Britain from Jamaica following the emancipation of the slaves? Or did they hold on to their estates?

John Simpson was the owner of the Bounty sugar estate in the parish of Trelawny in Jamaica. He also had an interest in two other estates in Trelawny - Tilston and Chester. For a few years in the late 18th century, Maroons were paid to return captured slaves to the Bounty estate. It would appear that the Simpson family's wealth derived from the sugar trade and thus slavery.

In 1782, John Simpson was elected as a 'vestryman' for Trelawny.

The London Gazette for 16 Nov 1805 lists the appointment of John Simpsn Esq of Fairlawn as Lord Lieutenant of Kent.

Gentleman's Magazine, 1820
Obituaries
'July 10, aged 14, Sarah-Rachael, daughter of John Simpson Esq of Fairlawn.'

dillington
29-08-12, 15:58
Thank you for this...it seems that he was quite a big "Father Christmas" as one of my friends calls important folk! I only have the nephews in 1851 but with such a common name SIMPSON they may be out there somewhere. I have now traced the sister Amelia's marriage in Shropshire and 2 subsequent daughters. So getting there!!!

Big thanks to you all....

Shona
29-08-12, 19:02
Been trying to post some links, but failing!

Google the following:

Farndon Parish History

In the People section of this website, there are links to directories where Phillis Simpson is listed.

Also for Otterden, there is a list of burials online. If looked at it, but there are no Simpson's on the list. May be helpful for future research. Just Google Otterden Burials.

There are other bits and pieces around about sugar plantation owner, John Simpson, too. In 'The Memoir of the Late William Wright MD' there is a description of how 'a Negro boy, twelve years of afe (belonging to John Simpson Esq, in the parish of Trelawny, Jamaica)' was treated after he suffered from a 'stroke of the sun'.

John Thomas Simpson was the church warden of St Chad's in Farndon.

dillington
10-09-12, 19:36
Thanks for this extra info Shona. I was aware that he was Church Warden at St Chads...I have visited there ( I don't live too far away) and have seen the family memorial grave and also his name on the Church Warden board in St Chads. I do wonder what brought John & Phillis together--her backgound is not as illustrious as his! Perhaps she was in service in Liverpool: they were married there & their only child was born there.
To be continued.... thanks