PDA

View Full Version : Name of groom, please

ElizabethHerts
26-08-12, 09:32
This will be my earliest Popple marriage - 1560:

http://www.lincstothepast.com/General-register/779951.record?pt=T

It is the first wedding - William ? and Margery Popple.
What do you think his surname is?

Del 80
26-08-12, 09:48
Elizabeth, where did the marriage take place ?.......Del.

ElizabethHerts
26-08-12, 09:51
In Scotton, Lincolnshire, Del.

Sue from Southend
26-08-12, 10:00
Family Search have it as Fishe - but I'm not convinced! I thought Rigge at first but the R is not like any other on the page, nor the Gs! Not a lot of help, really.

Del 80
26-08-12, 10:00
I thought for one moment that his name was AYTO,....If Scotton is north Lincolnshire, then it could well be, it has long been rumoured that our family came from this region.....Del.

Merry
26-08-12, 10:03
At first glance it looks like Ayre, but on closer examination it could be a lot of things!

Anyway, I'm not speaking to you whilst you are tracing ancestors in the 16thC, as I'm too jealous!!

Sue from Southend
26-08-12, 10:09
It could be Ayre - the underprinting of "Lincs to the Past" does confuse things a bit! As you can tell I'm not an expert in 16th century handwriting because, like Merry, I've never had cause to look at any before.

Wondering if I'm a stronger shade of green than Merry.....

ElizabethHerts
26-08-12, 10:23
Thanks for the input - I saw the Family Search transcription and I too wasn't convinced.

There is a Fishe on the second page and it doesn't look like that!
It could very well start with an A. It ends in an e - the e in George below looks the same.

ElizabethHerts
26-08-12, 10:25
I thought for one moment that his name was AYTO,....If Scotton is north Lincolnshire, then it could well be, it has long been rumoured that our family came from this region.....Del.

That's interesting, Del. I don't think there is an "o" in it, though. I'll watch out for Aytos in future.

Scotton is in North Lincolnshire. I'm doing very well with my family from there thanks to the PRs available on Lincs to the Past. I have just received 6 wills, and I have identified at least another 6 to order.

Del 80
26-08-12, 10:35
Thanks Elizabeth, the trouble with the Ayto name, is it's many variant spellings, Ayto, Aytough, Ato, Hayto, Eato Eatto, Eatough,..etc..etc...one of the possible meanings of the name , is ''someone born on a hill on an island''....Scotton I believe is close to the Isle of Axholme.......Del.

ElizabethHerts
26-08-12, 10:35
At first glance it looks like Ayre, but on closer examination it could be a lot of things!

Anyway, I'm not speaking to you whilst you are tracing ancestors in the 16thC, as I'm too jealous!!

:d:d
I have been so lucky with these Lincolnshire records, Merry - a year ago my earliest Lincolnshire ancestor was born c. 1750, but now I can go back on all the lines (including wives and their ancestors) well back into the 1600s and sometimes earlier. They obligingly seem to have left quite a few wills.

It compensates for my Mum's main branch in Portsea which I can't get back earlier than the 1790s.;(

Asa
26-08-12, 11:08
The second letter is an i and the last an e - looking at it as a whole I keep thinking Rigge or Ridge but looking at FS baptisms in Scotton 1560-1580 father's name William, the only likely looking one (to me) is William Fishe

ElizabethHerts
26-08-12, 11:11
Thanks, Asa. I thought it was a capital R too.

I think I'll have to go through the registers to find a burial for a Margery and see what comes up.

Merry
26-08-12, 11:14
I suppose mothers don't get a mention in the bap register?

ElizabethHerts
26-08-12, 11:37
I haven't looked further than page 2 this early on, Merry. In my experience it seemed to be on the whim of the Vicar. I have early baptisms with both parents' names and later in the same register, with a change of vicar, just the father's name.

Phoenix
26-08-12, 11:51
Before I read any others Fishe

ElizabethHerts
26-08-12, 11:54
Phoenix, that's what Family Search has.

Is an F often like that? That is what confused me. It looks like a capital A without the crossbar, but then it has a loop at the top.

Phoenix
26-08-12, 11:56
It definitely ends ishe and that looks a typical ff for capital F. (This is the woman who thought "stay" was "heir" but I'm much better at Tudor than Victorian handwriting)

Phoenix
26-08-12, 11:59
Look at Frances and Furnasse at the top of the page.

ElizabethHerts
26-08-12, 12:31
Thanks, Phoenix! That has really explained it well and I'm quite happy with that now. :)

Now all I have to do is to master the numbers in the dates that appear in this register. :D