PDA

View Full Version : mary Hughes

biz
26-08-12, 03:51
Hi need help with the following who is my grandma,
Mary Hughes
she was born 1883 Dublin her father was called Michael Hughes and he was a labourer
this info is from Mary`s marriage cert in 1908 at Islington to James Henry Walker
on Marys ceath cert in 1945 it gives age which also confirms birth year
NOW HERES THE PROBLEM
I`m stuck:o
having looked at the irish 1901/11 census and having no luck and having spoken with gro-ireland they sent me the only birth cert for a Mary Hughes born Dublin 1883 but it lists father has a Matthew Hughes?? so spoke with the archives again and they checked both forward and back over a period of 5 years and NO LUCK
I have no idea who is Marys mother ?:confused:
did she have any siblings?
where she was in 1901 census(have looked at the London and Ireland census)??
I cannot find Michael Hughes in any of the above?
:confused:

Merry
26-08-12, 09:52
Did the archivist say how many certificates they found over the five years that had the wrong father's name? If you ignore the many certs with more than one forename, there's one in 1882, one in 1883 (presume this is the one you have) and one in 1884 for Dublin. None for 1885 or 1886 (according to Ancestry's index). There are a whole lot more than this if she was originally registered with two or more forenames!

There are quite a few Mary Hughes on the Irish 1901 census who might be her, but are not living with parents.

I couldn't see an obvious match in the UK.

I notice they married in the C of E.

Merry
26-08-12, 10:47
Just wondering about this Mary? (1901 Ireland)

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/South_Dock/Sir_John_Rogerson_s_Quay/1350161/

I don't have time to study the pages now to work out why she is a daughter and to whom! She is best fit so far as she is the only one who isn't RC and is the right age.

Merry
26-08-12, 11:07
It's page 171. Relationships are obviously incorrect and can't see the two John's in England in 1911.

Joy Dean
26-08-12, 15:04
Have you searched in http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/ ?

biz
28-08-12, 14:03
Hello Merry
On Mary Walker nee Hughes death cert it states her full name has Mary Cristine
on her wedding cert it sates just Mary
Gro-Ireland sent me a birth cert for Mary Cristine born 123 Cork st Dublin south father listed has a Matthew Hughes .They said that they had checked and that this was the only Mary Cristine appearing and that is in 1883 which co-incides with date of age upon wedding and death certs
Mary was married to James Henry Walker in 1908 at Islington and the church was a R/C
their marriage cert also states Roman Catholic church
when they lived in Retford they both attended St Josephs R/C has did all of their children and both Mary and James are buried together in the R/C churchyard
Thankyou

biz
28-08-12, 14:04
Hiya
yes the local Roman Catholic church have helped me to look at these records,but again to no luck

Merry
28-08-12, 15:50
Mary was married to James Henry Walker in 1908 at Islington and the church was a R/C
their marriage cert also states Roman Catholic church

How odd. I'm looking at the marriage cert right now and it says "12th April 1908 St Anne's church in the parish of Islington.....Married in the above church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the established church after banns by me......"

So, did they have another ceremony in a Catholic church, as the above church of St Anne's, Poole's Park Islington was C of E?

With regard to her middle name - maybe that was added at her baptism and she didn't have it when her birth was registered?

As further confirmation the birth cert isn't the one (ie the wrong name wasn't accidentally written for Mary's father at her wedding) it looks as if the child whose birth cert you have died the following year:

Name: Mary Christina Hughes
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1884
Death Age: 1
Registration district: Dublin South
Death Country: Ireland
Volume: 2
Page: 539
FHL Film Number: 101592

Shona
28-08-12, 16:12
They may have also had a Catholic blessing.

Merry
28-08-12, 16:32
Yes that's what I was thinking, Shona.

Wish I'd known about that before I ploughed throuth all those Mary Hughes in Ireland looking for one who wasn't RC!

Just checking....are these the parents of James Henry Walker?

Marriages Mar 1876
MAYHALL Ann Eliza Leeds 9b 470
Walker James Leeds 9b 470

kiterunner
28-08-12, 16:57
There is a public tree on ancestry showing her as Mary Christina Philomena Hughes born 19 Apr 1883 Dublin, parents Martin Michael Hughes who married Catherine Allen in 1870 and died (i.e. Martin Michael Hughes died) 1892 in Dublin. If you have ancestry membership, you could try contacting the tree owner to ask if they have further information.

Merry
28-08-12, 17:05
Oooh, that looks interesting, Kate! *crosses everything* lol

Merry
28-08-12, 17:08
I note that's the same Q as the birth cert already dug out by the registrar for Mary Christina Hughes, father Matthew!

*crosses fingers a bit more*!!

Merry
28-08-12, 17:24
Interesting that looking at Catherine Allen marriages in Dublin in 1870 turns up a possible between Catherine Allen and Mathew Hughes, rather than Martin Michael Hughes and Matthew Hughes was the name mentioned by the registrar for the father of Mary Christina..............

kiterunner
28-08-12, 21:54
Oh, but if Mary Christina died in 1884 then that could mean that the ancestry public tree is a red herring then. I suppose you would need the Mary Christina Hughes death certificate to confirm it is the same person as on the birth certificate.

Merry
28-08-12, 22:31
Perhaps biz should contact the tree owner first to see where they got their information etc.

I also wonder if the dob on the cert biz has is the same as the date on the ancestry tree.