PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Cathedral Marriages

Phoenix
22-08-12, 22:48
Family Search has the marriage of William Thomas Ashworth and Clara Taylor (born Castle Camps, Cambridge) 3 November 1842.

Are there any other databases which might record this? I am looking for Clara's father, or witnesses to the marriage.

kiterunner
22-08-12, 22:52
I don't think so. Not online, anyway. I wish Lancashire Online Parish Clerks had them. I'll see if I can find anything tomorrow.

Phoenix
22-08-12, 22:55
Thanks, Kite.

Olde Crone
23-08-12, 07:18
Phoenix

Many of my ancestors married in Man Cath and I'm afraid that the records of marriages are terse, to say the least, although they did get slightly better towards the middle/end of the 1800s. I have only ever found the name of bride and groom before about 1850.

You might have to get the cert for the details you want.

OC

Phoenix
23-08-12, 07:30
I'm sure I've read that this was the only parish church, so had masses of marriages taking place, and that (for a reason I don't understand) a lot of London Jews married there.

Thanks for that input, OC. I know who Clara ought to be, but she does not appear to have been baptised C of E like those I assume to be her siblings.

marquette
23-08-12, 09:45
I am sure I once found Manchester Cathedral marriages or other parish records online some time ago, but did not think about bookmarking the website, as I thought I would find it easily again, but never have. Its so frustrating.

The Collegiate Church (later the cathedral) was the parish church of Manchester but gradually there were others, but there was some technicality which meant that it was the only place you could get married, for a long time, so everyone in Manchester had to go there.

Ahh, not exactly, but here is the reason: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Manchester/Cathedral.shtml

Di

Olde Crone
23-08-12, 20:59
Well, thst's a bit odd. I've always understood that Manchester Cathedral, as the parish church, was a Peculiar and therefore the reason for the large number of marriages was because no questions were asked and no Banns had to be read, nor licences procured. It was a favourite place for runaways to wed.

I didn't know that a lot of London Jews married there but again, that would be because it was a Peculiar (allegiance directly to the Crown, not to any spiritual leader on earth).

OC