PDA

View Full Version : Denomination of St. Austell parish chuch

ElizabethHerts
21-08-12, 07:24
According to Genuki:

"The parish church is situated in St. Austell town; it is now dedicated to The Holy Trinity. It is located in OS Grid Square SW8532 and was originally dedicated to St. Austolus in 1262 by Bishop Bronescombe near the feast day of the Celtic saint."

When compiling my tree I like to give the full name of the church and I have lots of events for the 1600s and 1700s.

I'm trying to discover when the denomination of the church changed from St. Austolus to the Holy Trinity, but so far I have drawn a blank.

If anyone knows this please let me know!

WendyPusey
21-08-12, 07:31
Don't know if this will help. Half way down the page.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~staustell/Structure/History.htm

ElizabethHerts
21-08-12, 07:45
Thanks for the link, Wendy. I've read it before and Julia Mosman is the OPC clerk for the area, I believe.

I'm not sure which bit I should be looking at, but I couldn't find an answer, unless the church was rededicated when it was restored.

Janet
22-08-12, 03:28
Episcopal registers of the diocese of Exeter, 1257-1360 (1889)
Author: Hingeston, F. C. (Francis Charles), 1833-1910
Publisher: London : Bell

http://www24.us.archive.org/stream/episcopalregiste00hing
http://archive.org/details/episcopalregiste00hing

Does this look at all promising, Elizabeth? A search on Austell brings up a few hits, but I can't read the Latin. :o

Let me know if the links don't work for you and I can try another way if you want.

ElizabethHerts
22-08-12, 07:07
Thanks, Janet. I can read this. Thanks for finding this for me.

I believe this relates to the first dedication of St Austell parish church in about 1262. The itinerary on page 295 appears to indicate that Bishop Bronescombe was at St Austell on October 9th 1259. It was dedicated to St. Austolus at that time, but I'd like to know when it changed to the Holy Trinity.

I can't find anything about the date of the re-dedication, unfortunately.

Merry
22-08-12, 12:37
Hi Elizabeth *from a verysunny, but rather windy beach in Weymouth*

When we wanted to know something similar about or local very large church, Christchurch Priory, we phoned the verger in his office in the church building and he was very helpful! Don't know if this church wouls have similar as I guess it would be a busy place in the summer hols.

Olde Crone
22-08-12, 19:31
Dangerous to guess of course, but the parish registers (originals) seem to be headed up Holy Trinity and they start from the 1500s.

Also, the three part tower, representing the Holy Trinity, was built in the 1400s, so I suspect the dedication changed around that time.

OC

ElizabethHerts
23-08-12, 20:20
Dangerous to guess of course, but the parish registers (originals) seem to be headed up Holy Trinity and they start from the 1500s.

Also, the three part tower, representing the Holy Trinity, was built in the 1400s, so I suspect the dedication changed around that time.

OC

OC, thanks for that, which makes sense. I had read about the architecture of the church being designed for the Holy Trinity.

It means that I can most probably put all my baptisms (in the 1700s) as being Holy Trinity, St Austell.

Merry, I had wondered about contacting the church itself, but I probably won't bother now.

Olde Crone
24-08-12, 19:15
Elizabeth

I happened to find myself in St Austell today so I nipped into the church - well, I tried to but it was locked barred and bolted unfortunately!

They do have a website though - maybe worth a try?

(It's a most unwelcoming and gloomy looking church, I hadn't realised before, even though it is in the main street).

OC

ElizabethHerts
24-08-12, 21:44
What a shame it is an unprepossessing church, OC. Some are just like that.

Most of my ancestors from this area actually lived at St. Blazey, but still used the St. Austell church. There was no rhyme or reason to whether they used the St. Austell church or the St. Blazey church to baptize their children.

I might well e-mail the church.

I'm rather distracted today - this morning I received six wills for direct ancestors from Lincolnshire Archives, so I've gone back way into the 1600s now and thanks to the PRs I'm doing pretty well with my early ancestors. Most left wills despite not being really wealthy but just farmers/yeomen. They are obliging naming children and other relatives too.

Olde Crone
25-08-12, 08:12
Oh, I do love wills. Farmers' wills always do seem to be full of useful detail.

OC