PDA

View Full Version : Help needed to find death of Betty Paden

JBee
20-08-12, 21:21
Can anyone help me find out about Betty PADON/PADAN/PADDON/PATTON/McPADDEN various other spellings used by the family especially when and where she died.

In 1851 census she was living at Baines Lane, Sunderland with husband and children
HO107; Piece: 2397; Folio: 435; Page: 4; GSU roll: 87075.

William PADEN 50 b Ireland labourer
Betty PADEN 50 b Ireland
Ann 18
Michael 15
Honora 12 .................................................. .......... all the family born in Ireland
Margaret 10
Bridget 7
Elizabeth 4

In 1859 William Paden died and his death was registered as PARDON by a neighbour at No 5 Baines Lane not his wife or children???? why?

In 1861 census Betty is living in Baines Lane, Sunderland but further down the street I think with daughter Bridget
Class: RG 9; Piece: 3780; Folio: 7; Page: 8; GSU roll: 543186.

Elizabeth PADEN 48??? born Ireland age different?
Bridget 18

Ann PEDER? married Michael DOUD/DOWD in 1853 in Sunderland and is also living in Baines Lane in 1861 census.
Michael is staying with his sister Ann and marries Sarah CURRUTHERS in 1867 and believe emigrated to US in 1887.
Honora I think emigrated to US in 1857 and married an Edward Barrett there.
Margaret married Daniel BARR in Hartlepool in 1860 and is there in 1861 before moving to Greenock Scotland then moving back to Sunderland before 1865. She died in 1889.
Bridget married Michael MULHERN/MULHERAN? in 1862 and I think also emigrated to US
Elizabeth is in Hartlepool in 1861- same address as b-i-l Daniel Barr lived at at marriage in 1860. Nothing found for her after that.

What I really want to know is where and when Betty/Elizabeth died. I think trying to find birth name and place of birth or marriage in Ireland is a bit hopeless as all the children were born in Ireland and only Ann and maybe Elizabeth stay in UK.

Would be grateful for any help with this.

kiterunner
20-08-12, 22:35
Sunderland BMD has some possible deaths:
Eliza Paddon 1869 - but age is 37 on FreeBMD
Elizabeth Patton 1869 - can't see on FreeBMD
Elizabeth Paton 1878 - age 61 on FreeBMD
Sorry, not much help.

JBee
20-08-12, 22:54
Thanks Kite - am going up to Tyne & Wear archives next week so will see if I can work out which one it might be.

Have taken the plunge and sent for one - so fingers crossed.

JBee
24-08-12, 11:08
Well that's a turn-up - sent for the death in 1869 that Kite found.

The Registrar phoned me yesterday and said it was a baby so wasn't correct - however she had a search and found an Elizabeth PARRAN age 51???? (out by about 17 years!! lol) who also died in 1869 in Sunderland.

She asked the occupation of her deceased husband and the probable person who registered the death - it was the right one, Daughter Ann Dowd registered it with yet another spelling variation - mind you Ann signed with a mark so understandable with the accent.

Thanks Kite

Margaret in Burton
24-08-12, 12:39
Brilliant of the registrar to do that.

I had similar help from the Ashbourne reg. Searched and searched for a marriage for one of my 2xgreat grandparents but we don't think they really married.
Also put me in touch with a distant cousin as we'd both requested the same birth cert in the same week.

JBee
24-08-12, 13:35
It's great when you can get a result though - I'm 99.9% that she was my gg grandmother but it doesn't help that both she and her husband and all the children were born in Ireland c1800 - am going to do some cross referencing of godparents and marriage witnesses of their children and grandchildren (ones that didn't run off to the USA) to see if there's family connections.

Only their one daughter Elizabeth is missing after 1861 census - she lodged at the same address as her b-i-l lived at prior to his marriage in Hartlepool. She may have gone to the USA as well as her other siblings.

Merry
24-08-12, 16:04
How nice of the registrar!

Years ago I wrote to the registrar at Westbury in Wilts asking for them to check a death reg for my 3xg-grandfather in the 1840s. The one I had seen (early days of freeBMD) turned out to be the wrong one so the registrar searched 1841 to 1851 without me asking and found the right certificate!