PDA

View Full Version : Mystery baby!

ElizabethHerts
18-08-12, 07:22
I'm looking for a link between two families from St. Blazey, Cornwall.

From this website
http://www.wwjohnston.net/famhist/st-blazey-families-names.pdf
I have found a baptism on 7 Nov 1824 for

Mary Rundle Ray LUCAS, parents Luke and Jane Lucas

This name jumped out at me because my 3xgreat-grandmother Elizabeth Daddow, married surname Quintrell, had a sister called Mary Rundle Daddow. Mary married James Ray in 1809.

The only child I have found so far is Sarah Noble Ray, baptised 11 Feb 1811.

Mary Rundle Ray died in April 1824, the same year as the baptism in November of Mary Rundle Ray Lucas. So there must be a connection. I haven't yet found it.

Edit: I haven't found the marriage for Luke Lucas and Jane yet.

Merry
18-08-12, 08:02
Mary Rundle Daddow

Do you know where the name Rundle came from in Mary's name?

ElizabethHerts
18-08-12, 08:11
Yes, Merry. Mary Rundle married John Daddow. Their son John Daddow was Mary Rundle Daddow's father. So Mary Rundle Daddow was named after her paternal grandmother.

ElizabethHerts
18-08-12, 08:12
I should mention that Rundle is a common name in St. Blazey!

Merry
18-08-12, 08:18
I should mention that Rundle is a common name in St. Blazey!

That was the only bit I'd grasped already!!

I see Luke and Jane only seem to have had two children bap in St B. I guess it would be helpful to know their approx ages (I .mean uke and ane, not the children!). Don't suppose you have seen any burials?

I know absolutey nothing about Cornish research, having no family west of Exeter, so I don't know whether they have a lot of online records or not....etc etc

Merry
18-08-12, 08:19
Yes, Merry. Mary Rundle married John Daddow. Their son John Daddow was Mary Rundle Daddow's father. So Mary Rundle Daddow was named after her paternal grandmother.

Hane you been able to trace John Daddow's siblings forward, or the siblings of his parents?

ElizabethHerts
18-08-12, 08:26
There were only two siblings, Merry.

There was Mary Daddow, baptised 1745. I have nothing more for her.

The second sibling, also a sister, was Sarah Daddow. She married Luke Stephens in 1779. I have two children for them, Sarah and William, baptised in 1781 and 1782 respectively at St Austell. I haven't traced them forward yet.

I suppose it is possible the Lucases were family friends. There is a note by the chap who is putting together the St Blazey tree that there was an influx of people in the early 1820s, pushing the birth rate up.

However, the family connection is something I shall pursue.

Merry
18-08-12, 08:29
How common was the forename Luke in the area at that time? I have hardly any Lukes on my tree, but as I said, I don't know much about the country of Cornwall! (as my friend's dad used to call it as he was born in St Just)

Olde Crone
18-08-12, 08:36
Cornwall has a superb OPC system and they are generally very helpful.

Luke is/was a fairly common name down here unfortunately.

OC

ElizabethHerts
18-08-12, 08:37
Merry, I don't know much about the name Luke or the surname Lucas.

I had found this:

RUNDLE, William
Born bef 23 Jun 1793, , St. Blazey, Cornwall, UK
Bapt. 23 Jun 1793, St. Blazey, Cornwall, UK
Died bef 29 Dec 1828, Bedelva Moor, St. Blazey, Cornwall, UK
Buried 29 Dec 1828, St. Blazey, Cornwall, UK
Parents : Ambrose RUNDLE Margaret HOSKIN
Spouse: Frances Fanny LUKE

but then I realised the surname should be Lucas!

Ambrose Rundle is a good family name! Ambrose was Mary Rundle's brother, and their father and grandfather were also called Ambrose Rundle.

ElizabethHerts
18-08-12, 08:40
OC, if the Lukes were from St Blazey I would expect they would feature on the website. Luke Lucas's baptism isn't there so I suspect he comes from elsewhere in Cornwall but his marriage doesn't show up on the OPC website.

Sadly, neither does his baptism.

Olde Crone
18-08-12, 11:23
Cornwall was a Wesleyan stronghold so he may have been a noncon - I haven't looked at the Cornish OPC for a long time so I don't know if they have noncon records or not.

Luke would be pronounced/written as Luke, Lukes, Lukas, Lucas, Lukers - the dialect is lazy about the final syllable so Lucas is spoken as Lukes. I have even seen Leuchars.....

OC