PDA

View Full Version : Different results when searching 1911 census on findmypast and the 1911 site?

kiterunner
23-10-09, 14:09
Maybe I'm doing something stupid, but I searched for Louisa Mary born Pimlico around 1869 on the 1911 site, and found a likely candidate - Louisa Mary Ellis age 42 living in Lambeth. I did a search using name Louisa Mary Ellis, born 1869 +- 2 years, birthplace Pimlico, to check it came up and it did. Then I went onto findmypast to do the same search so I could add in marital status and see if she was married, but first of all I searched without the marital status to check it found her - and it finds no matches! Can anyone else get her to come up on findmypast please?

Just Gillian
23-10-09, 15:59
Just had a go and she won't come up for me on FMP either Kite. Even searching for Louisa Mary Ellis 1869 +/- 2 with no birthplace shows no results although there are 3 of them.

(And isn't it irritating that you can't be signed on to FMP and 1911 simultaneously!)

kiterunner
23-10-09, 16:09
Thanks, Gillian, at least I know it's not just me doing something wrong!

Phoenix
23-10-09, 16:34
Silly question, but does this mean that your sub allows you to access the 1911 census data, but only through the fmp shell?

And if so, does that mean that you cannot access the related forms?

kiterunner
23-10-09, 16:55
I haven't got a sub, but yes, you can get a sub to findmypast that includes the 1911 census now and I think on the other thread people who have got subs said that the other pages of the form weren't included.

Phoenix
23-10-09, 17:07
I was checking on the faq on their (fmp) site where they said that the search engines were different, so would produce different results. Perhaps they are actually searching on different criteria?

kiterunner
23-10-09, 17:08
I've managed to get her to come up on FMP now, by not putting Lambeth in for the place of residence. And she's unmarried, so not my Louisa anyway.

One thing I noticed in the FMP search is that you can specify first name, middle name and last name for another person in the same household, rather than lists of first names and surnames of people in the same household, so for any particular search it is worth thinking about which of these versions will be more useful. In this case, I can specify surname Ellis and other person Louisa Mary Ellis on FMP and then pick out the Lambeth ones from the results and know they are in the same household, whereas on the 1911 site it can take ages because you are more likely to get more than one household jumbled together.

maggie_4_7
23-10-09, 18:16
Silly question, but does this mean that your sub allows you to access the 1911 census data, but only through the fmp shell?

And if so, does that mean that you cannot access the related forms?

Yes it does.

Phoenix
23-10-09, 18:43
Which is a bummer, cos guess what I'm really interested in?!