PDA

View Full Version : A two page book!

Merry
15-08-12, 22:36
BK6 updated from this thread

I'm trying to work out how I can find a copy of this very slim volume:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/life-trial-and-confession-of-john-scare-who-was-executed-at-cambridge-on-april-5-1817-for-a-burglary-at-whittlesford/oclc/79497749

John Scare committed three burglaries in 1817 for which he hanged. The main theft was of £216 from one of the neighbours of my 3xg-grandfather, David Maynard. One of the secondary thefts was from DM's house - the story I was told (came down through the family) was that someone came into DM's home and took a pair of pistols - David Maynard (or more likely one of his sons) chased the thief across the fields in order to get the guns back and at the same time save the thief from the noose. I'm not sure I believe that, so would be very interested to read the two page book, but I can't see where a copy might be held. Can you?

kiterunner
15-08-12, 22:38
It says University of Cambridge - Cambridge University Library.

Merry
15-08-12, 22:42
It does? I just did a search on the page for the word university and it says No Matches!

Anyway, thanks Kite, I'll have a look how to contact them.

kiterunner
15-08-12, 22:49
It automatically put my postcode in to search for libraries - did you put yours in?

Merry
15-08-12, 22:57
It automatically put my postcode in to search for libraries - did you put yours in?

Doh, no, but I have now! lol Thanks again!!