PDA

View Full Version : St Ebbe's, Oxford

Phoenix
13-08-12, 17:26
Does anyone know where I could find any online records for this parish?

I am looking for the marriage of a Mr Blay to Mary, born c 1785.

She is on the 1841 census there, in Gas Street, but by 1851 is in Marylebone, giving pob as St Ives, Oxford!

kiterunner
13-08-12, 17:28
I don't think there are very many Oxfordshire records online, Phoenix. :(

kiterunner
13-08-12, 18:28
You can buy a CD from Oxfordshire FHS, but I've just seen the price - £17.50 :eek:

http://www.ofhs.org.uk/CDsales.html#prs

Or you can order a search of their Oxfordshire Marriage Index for only £1.50:
http://searches.oxfordshirefhs.org.uk/#marrs

Phoenix
13-08-12, 19:59
Thank you. Kite!

£17.50 is a wee bit steep for what is only a hunch, but £1.50 is not unreasonable!

crawfie
13-08-12, 20:47
I have the Oxfordshire marriage discs, will have a look for you - do you have any more info to help narrow it down a bit - his first name or her maiden name?

Linda

crawfie
13-08-12, 21:03
On first look, there are a few Blays having married a Mary, between 1800 and 1837, but none in St Ebbes. (also checked Blea, Bleay and Blee)

kiterunner
13-08-12, 21:51
On the 1841 census Mary has with her: Mary 36, James 20, and John 10, all born Oxfordshire. So you could start by tracing those people and see what their father's name was before looking for Mary's marriage.

FamilySearch has a James Blay baptism 15 Jan 1823 at St Giles, Oxford, parents Solomon and Mary. I can't see the other two on there (of course, John could be a grandchild anyway) but I expect Oxfordshire FHS has a baptisms index too.

crawfie
13-08-12, 22:02
Sorry, I only have the marriage discs, no births or deaths. No Solomon Blay marriage. OFHS separate the baptisms into separate areas and you need to get that specific disc, unfortunately not an area my lot were in :).

However, this is on the Oxfordshire History centre Website:

On 25 June 2012, an eight month project will begin to digitise the parish registers of Oxfordshire and make them available online. This will involve a rolling programme of registers being withdrawn from the centre for two weeks to carry out the work. If you are planning a visit to consult the registers, please contact us to ensure the ones you want will be here.

Sounds good!

kiterunner
13-08-12, 22:15
It sounds good, but I hope it isn't going to be like the Essex site which has not been name indexed but charges a subscription fee.

Phoenix
13-08-12, 23:02
Thank you, both of you. I have discovered a Solomon Blay of Oxford who was a hangman in Hobart, Tasmania! It looks as if he AND his father, the Solomon who married a Mary were both transported, but at different times. A public tree on Ancestry attributes the Mary b 1785 as being Solomon's wife, but they haven't found the marriage either.

Jenoco
16-08-12, 01:42
However, this is on the Oxfordshire History centre Website:

On 25 June 2012, an eight month project will begin to digitise the parish registers of Oxfordshire and make them available online. This will involve a rolling programme of registers being withdrawn from the centre for two weeks to carry out the work. If you are planning a visit to consult the registers, please contact us to ensure the ones you want will be here.

Sounds good!

Oh good! I have lots from southern Oxfordshire so I'm looking forward to this...

Merry
16-08-12, 07:07
Oooh, that's really good to know! *waits patiently* :)

Phoenix
16-08-12, 09:20
Having waited eight or so years for new censuses, eight months is a snip. And if it found the marriage of George Lanning to Jane c 1800, I could cheerfully wait rather longer.

Rachel
16-08-12, 10:53
The Oxford people are incredibly helpful

One of my Gt gt grans was born/reg in St Ebbes and I had such difficulty finding the marriage that I thought she may have been mistranscribed but the Oxford FHS found the marriage for me and didn't charge.

Merry
16-08-12, 11:06
Wow Rachel, that's great! I have tended to find that researching in Oxfordshire is the most expensive research I've had to cope with!!

Margaret in Burton
16-08-12, 13:51
Oxfordshire research is difficult for us to as OH ancestors from there were Catholic.

Rachel
16-08-12, 15:50
Wow Rachel, that's great! I have tended to find that researching in Oxfordshire is the most expensive research I've had to cope with!!

It was an amazing experience Merry.
The marriage took place in the January before civil reg. came in and I was breaking out into grins for weeks after the revelation ~ people must have thought I was nutty.

Last year I found a match on GR ~ (been hoping for one since 2005/6) ~ who is a member of the OFHS and has supplied me with masses of info. via Parish Registers for the area, so I have at long last been able to find parents and siblings of both gt gt grandparents .... and a tentative link with Mum's side of the family from London :D

Laniya
03-09-16, 17:00
My great,great grandmother was Sarah Esther Blay baptised 11/11/1849 in the parish of St Ebbes she married my great,great grandfather Edward John Drake in the parish of St Aldates 19/05/1872 also in the parish of St Aldates,her parents were David & Mary Blay & there is also a Hannah & Adelaide Blay on the marriage cert as well,I hope this will be of some help