PDA

View Full Version : searching for mccusker family.please help

kcusker
13-08-12, 00:32
Ive been doing research for almost 2 years now combined with the information i have from the family tree that is sent out every year. however i am trying to break past this barrier i am stuck out and i feel im slowly getting through but i need some help. here is what im dealing with in a nutshell and if someone can help me that would be so awesome.
My 2x great grandfather is Thomas James (Mc)Cusker. he was born in fermanagh on april 6 1878. I know he was Born to Bernard McCusker and Ann Carbin. Thomas then came to america in 1900. and this is where my family tree begins.

However Thomas' Father Bernard had come to america on sept 5th 1851 aboard the ss.kalimazoo.he was 10. he was on board with his mother ellen age 35 jane 12 edward 7 neal 6 and hugh who was an infant. i have no other info on any of bernards siblings or his mother. i do know bernard entered the civil war in phili into the 27 reg. e company in 1861. he deserted in 1862 and went back to ireland.

that was the only info i had.. i acct went further and found at st tierneys church feb 11 1866 a bernard cosker from augh and a ann carbon from eshrow were married. this is possibly him. also there were 2 witnesses the brides father was one and a bernard cosker the grooms father. if this is the right person it will finally give us the missing father coming to america maybe he never went and maybe ellen bernards mother never went back to ireland.

i did find birth records stating bernard cosker,mcusker,mccasker. and ann carbin.carbon and carbino. being the parents of a patrick born 1868 rose, mary anne , catherine , and my greatgreat grandfather thomas .. all were born it states in brookboro except for thomas whos birth record states he was born in altagohan fermanagh ireland.

im sorry if i ran on with this but i was hoping maybe would share a common link or may have more experience with all this and help a newb out

Thank you so much
Kevin Cusker

Merry
13-08-12, 08:16
Welcome to the forum, Kevin :)

I'm not particulary familiar with Irish research as I don't have any Irish ancestors, so I would like to know if the relationships of the witnesses at the marriage of Bernard Cosker and Ann Carbon were actually stated in the record?

kiterunner
13-08-12, 10:08
FamilySearch has the marriage listed - Bernard Casker married Anne Carbine 11 Feb 1866 at Roslea, Clones, Fermanagh, Ireland, groom's father Bernard Casker, bride's father Johannis (=John) Carbine. If this is where you have your information from, then those names will be from the "father" column rather than the "witness" part. Unfortunately FamilySearch does not show the witnesses' names.

If you haven't seen the actual marriage certificate or a full transcription of it, Roots Ireland has a Bernard Cosker / Ann Carbine marriage in 1866 in Fermanagh and it looks as though it will show you the witnesses' names if you pay to view, also it will give you the groom's occupation and the fathers' occupations:
http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Merry
13-08-12, 10:22
Have you looked for Ellen and her children on the US census?

Where is Brookboro, please?

kiterunner
13-08-12, 10:23
And according to Roots Ireland, Thomas's birth or baptism in 1878 is listed as parish or district of Brookeborough, so not far from the other children in the family.

To fill in the years for the other children - Patrick 1868, Mary Ann 1870, Catherine 1872, Rose 1874.

kiterunner
13-08-12, 10:25

It is in County Fermanagh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookeborough

But I'm wondering whether the placenames for Bernard and Ann's residences on that marriage are correct because I can't find anything about those (Augh and Eshrow?)

Edit - found Eshrow now, it is a variant of Eshroe, in Clones.

kiterunner
13-08-12, 10:45
Hmm, looking at the Kalamazoo passenger list on ancestry, Great Britain to United States 5 Sep 1851, these are the details shown for the McCuskers:
Ellen McCusker 35 F(emale) Sp(inster)
Jane McCusker 12 F Sp
Bernard McCusker 10 M(ale)
Neal McCusker 7 M
Edward McCusker 6 M
Hugh McCusker Inft M
with the boys bracketed together for occupation, shown as Children.

So if this is correct, Ellen wasn't married when the children were born.

It was quite common for people who were "illegitimate" to make up a father's name when they got married, to look respectable, or to give their actual father's first name and let the vicar / registrar assume that their father's surname was the same as their's, so it could be that Bernard McCusker's father really was called Bernard but had a different surname, or it could be that he didn't know his father's name and just made one up. Or of course it could be that the passenger list is wrong and it should say Widow instead of Spinster. Unfortunately a lot of Irish records have been destroyed, so it may not be possible to find baptisms for Bernard and his siblings to check. I'll see if I can find anything, though.

kcusker
13-08-12, 18:41
wow that is a ton of info i didnt think id get this much of a responce. some one earlier in the thread asked if i looked up ellen or bernards others siblings in the us census.. well i did look it up but found nothing. and i know they came in to America through ny but then bernard went into the army in penn. and i do believed he left the army out of maryland

kcusker
13-08-12, 18:42
so would this make ellens surname mccusker? like she mccusker is her maiden name?
Hmm, looking at the Kalamazoo passenger list on ancestry, Great Britain to United States 5 Sep 1851, these are the details shown for the McCuskers:
Ellen McCusker 35 F(emale) Sp(inster)
Jane McCusker 12 F Sp
Bernard McCusker 10 M(ale)
Neal McCusker 7 M
Edward McCusker 6 M
Hugh McCusker Inft M
with the boys bracketed together for occupation, shown as Children.

So if this is correct, Ellen wasn't married when the children were born.

It was quite common for people who were "illegitimate" to make up a father's name when they got married, to look respectable, or to give their actual father's first name and let the vicar / registrar assume that their father's surname was the same as their's, so it could be that Bernard McCusker's father really was called Bernard but had a different surname, or it could be that he didn't know his father's name and just made one up. Or of course it could be that the passenger list is wrong and it should say Widow instead of Spinster. Unfortunately a lot of Irish records have been destroyed, so it may not be possible to find baptisms for Bernard and his siblings to check. I'll see if I can find anything, though.

kiterunner
13-08-12, 18:53
so would this make ellens surname mccusker? like she mccusker is her maiden name?

Yes, if the entry is correct.

kcusker
13-08-12, 19:00
ok. where does that leave me searching now recomendations on how to search becuase ive been searching a bernard mccusker from augh which what i was thinking was county tyrone for aughurcher

kcusker
13-08-12, 19:12
is there a place where i should look for birth records for the children of ellen. jane bernard neal(maybe corneilius) edward and hugh?

kiterunner
13-08-12, 19:19
Have you got a copy of the image of Bernard and Ann's marriage certificate, showing the place name as Augh? Or is it from a transcription? If his residence is just shown as Augh with no county name shown then I would think it should be in the same county as where he got married, i.e. Fermanagh. Or does it actually say he lives in County Tyrone on the marriage certificate?

If you have a copy of the image, would it be possible for you to post up just the bit with the placename that looks like Augh so we can see if we agree that is what it says? (I don't think we are allowed to post up full images of Irish certificates but a little bit of it should be o.k.)

kiterunner
13-08-12, 19:21
is there a place where i should look for birth records for the children of ellen. jane bernard neal(maybe corneilius) edward and hugh?

It's hard to know where to look without knowing which county we are looking in but in general, the places to look are FamilySearch and Roots Ireland. But unfortunately a lot of Irish records haven't survived.

kcusker
13-08-12, 19:36
i do not have a copy of the record i would like to index it myself as i do enjoy indexing for family search. the only reason i have augh is by what it said on a website where i found it i believe it was a website that someone made about st tierneys. this whole thing is now has me so confused for 2 years Ive been going in this one direction and now i feel like ive turned direction again completely. but anyway im ready to keep goin forward. i will try and find the original though. now bernard and ann had 4 other children not encluding my great great grandfather. patrick. mary ann and rose and catherine i would be very interested to know where these folks are but my grandfather (his grand was thomas) doesnt know about any brothers or sisters of thomas i was thinking if i can find decendents of patrick rose mary ann and catherine maybe they may have info to get me back further

kcusker
13-08-12, 19:36
i do apologize i do realize i am all over the place

kiterunner
13-08-12, 21:54
You can order a copy of the marriage certificate from GRONI (General Register Office of Northern Ireland):

GRONI Order a Marriage Certificate (http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/do-it-online/government-citizens-and-rights-online/order-a-marriage-certificate.htm)

kcusker
13-08-12, 22:22
very nice and i can do it online i will order it tomarrow once i get it ill scan it in until then i guess i can just keep on cracking trying to find out more. i actually am recieving help from someone i facedbooked. ( i wrote a huge letter and mailed it to almost every mccusker living in northern ireland whos listed on facebook ) but there is a very nice fella over there who thought may have a common link but with info he found maybe not. however hes such a standup guy he still is helping me

kiterunner
13-08-12, 22:37
the only reason i have augh is by what it said on a website where i found it i believe it was a website that someone made about st tierneys.

If it is this website then they have put Augh? so it looks as though they weren't sure what it said.

PDF download (http://www.claires-rosleaancestry.co.uk/StTierneysMarriages1862-1881.pdf)

kcusker
13-08-12, 23:12
If it is this website then they have put Augh? so it looks as though they weren't sure what it said.

PDF download (http://www.claires-rosleaancestry.co.uk/StTierneysMarriages1862-1881.pdf)

Yep that is exactly the website but i should be able to see for myself on the wedding certificate right. but yes it probably questionable when the were translating it.

kcusker
14-08-12, 01:09
New Update maybe something i was looking through the 1920 us census at my great great grandfather thomas j cusker who is married to catherine and children are thomas j
eugene mary john and rose ..... any way there is also a catherine lynch listed who was born in ireland and it says cousin is there any suggestions how i can investigate this further it may give me a link to what im looking for. it also says he was born in ireland and the date would be around 1896

billpayer
14-08-12, 08:44
Hi Kevin,my great grandmother was Bridget Carbin from Eshrow (or Eshroe) which is part of Eshnadarragh one of the Roslea townlands. She had two sisters Ann Carbin c1847and Ellen Carbin c1856 and a brother John c1854. Their parents were John & Helen both born around 1800. I am sure Ann Carbin married Bernard Cosker c1845, so in a small way we are probably related. You might try www.claires-rosleaancestry.co.uk/ a great source of info for the Roslea area.
Regards Dave Beagan (used to be Beggan but someone in the past changed it)

kcusker
14-08-12, 09:00
Hi Kevin,my great grandmother was Bridget Carbin from Eshrow (or Eshroe) which is part of Eshnadarragh one of the Roslea townlands. She had two sisters Ann Carbin c1847and Ellen Carbin c1856 and a brother John c1854. Their parents were John & Helen both born around 1800. I am sure Ann Carbin married Bernard Cosker c1845, so in a small way we are probably related. You might try www.claires-rosleaancestry.co.uk/ a great source of info for the Roslea area.
Regards Dave Beagan (used to be Beggan but someone in the past changed it)

oh awesome thanks alot for the information. where are you? is there any other info you have an your ggrandmothers sisters family?

kiterunner
14-08-12, 10:06
I've been having a look for Catherine Lynch to try to work out who her parents were, but not found one who fits. The most likely one seems to be the daughter of a John Lynch and Susan Maguire. But "cousin" on the census can mean a more distant relative, or it could mean she is his wife's cousin.

billpayer
14-08-12, 11:14
Hi Kevin, i'm sorry thats all I know about them. I live in Somerset in the UK, most of my family live in and around Manchester. One person who told me quite a lot about my family is
James Mullan who along with Clare McConville transcribed the records from St Teirneys. in Roslea. I think his ggrandmother was also Bridget Carbin. You can ask Clare for any info through her website. Regards Dave Beagan

kcusker
14-08-12, 12:50
I've been having a look for Catherine Lynch to try to work out who her parents were, but not found one who fits. The most likely one seems to be the daughter of a John Lynch and Susan Maguire. But "cousin" on the census can mean a more distant relative, or it could mean she is his wife's cousin.

thank you so much for looking into. i will keep on searching and i do believe i am gona order the marriage license however is that a marriage licence in the original form or will it be typed and transcripted?

kcusker
14-08-12, 12:55
Hi Kevin, i'm sorry thats all I know about them. I live in Somerset in the UK, most of my family live in and around Manchester. One person who told me quite a lot about my family is
James Mullan who along with Clare McConville transcribed the records from St Teirneys. in Roslea. I think his ggrandmother was also Bridget Carbin. You can ask Clare for any info through her website. Regards Dave Beagan

thank you so much. i will definetly try and talk with them. as i would also love to have family history on carbin as well. I grew up in new york. but i moved south down to the mtns in georgia

kiterunner
14-08-12, 13:02
thank you so much for looking into. i will keep on searching and i do believe i am gona order the marriage license however is that a marriage licence in the original form or will it be typed and transcripted?

Sorry, what marriage licence do you mean?

kcusker
14-08-12, 13:12
marriage certificate from the the website you mentioned a little earlier in the forum

Merry
14-08-12, 13:13
I think Kevin may mean the marriage certificate.

If that's the case, if it's ordered from the Irish GRO then it will most likely be in period handwriting but any signatures on it will not be original - that will have just been written by the person who submitted the infrmation to the GRO at the time of the event. In order to obtain signatures I think you would have to approach the church itself. (probably easier to get the GRO certificate first and see whether anyone actually signed their names! If they didn't it usually would state: X, the mark of William Smith (or whoever))

kcusker
14-08-12, 18:59
Sorry, what marriage licence do you mean?

i was talking about the groni website ican order it from which i think i will be doing.

Merry
14-08-12, 19:01
i was talking about the groni website ican order it from which i think i will be doing.

Please let us know the details when it arrives :)

kcusker
14-08-12, 23:26
how do i go about finding bernards mother and siblings.. ellen , neal , edward, jane
ive searched and searched but it seems like once they came to america they fell off the earth i also checked the civil war looking to see if any brothers followed thier older brother but i found an edward mcosker in new york 4th reg heavy artillery but who knows if thats even right?

Merry
15-08-12, 08:13
The problem is there are so many things that could have happened to them by the time the 1860 census was taken. Deaths of family members, separation of family members or perhaps a marriage for Ellen with the younger children taking the surname of their stepfather.

kiterunner
15-08-12, 08:53
I spent quite a while looking for them the other day but with no success.

kcusker
15-08-12, 15:28
I spent quite a while looking for them the other day but with no success.

same here unfortunately

kcusker
16-08-12, 02:48
ok i have a new question. when bernard and his mother ellen .. jane .. neal,, edward.. and hugh came here it was said earlier in the thread that ellen may not have been married..... but nothing was said about spinster being in the occupation column. only reason im asking now is jane who was 12 also said spinster in occupation column now i know it wasn't uncommon for young girls to work but when i look at the amount of spinster that came over i thought wow Ireland has been spinning some crazy thread
: ) i looked up something and i wanted peoples opinion on what i read about what a spinster is .... a woman who has never married... a bachalorette

Merry
16-08-12, 07:20
I don't have access to the passenger list in this case so didn't realise the word spinster was in the occupation column and that this was confusing you!

Yes, a spinster is just a woman who has never been married. It's not particularly strange or unusual for that to be written as their occupation, expecialy if they didn't have an occ as such.

In 1853 Hardwicke's marriage act set the minimum age of marriage at 14 years for boys and 12 years for girls. Consent of parents or of a court had to be obtained for those under the age of majority (21 years). EDIT I've just googled and it would seem Hardwicke's act didn't cover Ireland, but the age rules were basically the same across the UK.

This is why you see spinster written for 12 year old girls.

These ages remained the same in England and Wales until the Age of Marriage Act in 1929, but I'm not sure of Irish changes - you could google!

kcusker
16-08-12, 11:19
http://www.ukimmigrants.org/index.php?id=492586

Merry
16-08-12, 11:21
Hugh born at sea - that's different to 'infant' that Kiterunner mentioned. I wonder if he had to be registered anywhere or if the time frame is too early?

kcusker
16-08-12, 12:21
Hugh born at sea - that's different to 'infant' that Kiterunner mentioned. I wonder if he had to be registered anywhere or if the time frame is too early?

i havent the slightest. ive looked and looked and looked to no avail i have also obtained page 1 of the marriage record from a women who has done the transcribing ... she was nice enough to help me by sending it
i just cant tel what the last column says

Merry
16-08-12, 13:01
You can put up a partial image on here if you want us to try and read anything. You would need to crop it first, upload it to photobucket or similar, and then post a link to it here. Just say if you need any help.

kcusker
16-08-12, 14:24
Here is it

Merry
16-08-12, 14:36
Sorry the scan is too low resolution for my eyes!

kcusker
16-08-12, 14:44
ok i will work with it.. maybe if someone wants to see and help i can email it to them and you can post your email here or private mess. me

kiterunner
16-08-12, 15:32
The marriage certificate that you receive from GRONI will not be the same as that one because that is the church one and is in Latin, and the GRONI one will be the civil one in English. I'll see if I can figure out what that placename is though, but hopefully when you get the GRONI marriage certificate it will be clearer.

kiterunner
16-08-12, 15:35
Ah, think I know what it is - Aughaveigh. More common spelling is Aghavea.

kiterunner
16-08-12, 16:03
Kevin, I feel this question has to be asked at some point just to make sure we are on the right track - how do you know that your Bernard (i.e. Thomas's father) is the same one who emigrated to America with Ellen and served in the Civil War and deserted? It's just that FamilySearch has an Ann McCusker marrying John McElgun 17 Jan 1865 at Brookeborough, age 24, father Bernard McCusker, and a Catharine Cusker marrying Bernard Breen 28 Jan 1865 also at Brookeborough, age 24, father Bernard Cusker. I was wondering if there was any chance that they were sisters of your Bernard but of course if you are sure he is the one who went to America, it is unlikely that they would have been left behind.

(Aghavea is very near to Brookeborough.)

kcusker
16-08-12, 16:46
Kevin, I feel this question has to be asked at some point just to make sure we are on the right track - how do you know that your Bernard (i.e. Thomas's father) is the same one who emigrated to America with Ellen and served in the Civil War and deserted? It's just that FamilySearch has an Ann McCusker marrying John McElgun 17 Jan 1865 at Brookeborough, age 24, father Bernard McCusker, and a Catharine Cusker marrying Bernard Breen 28 Jan 1865 also at Brookeborough, age 24, father Bernard Cusker. I was wondering if there was any chance that they were sisters of your Bernard but of course if you are sure he is the one who went to America, it is unlikely that they would have been left behind.

(Aghavea is very near to Brookeborough.)

that is a legit question.. the answer is i am not 100% it is just what was told to us and is in my family tree as that of a little narritive about him and i know there were 2 bernard mccuskers in the civil war but aperently what i was told was our bernard is everything i wrote here that he fought . and i found the record that bernard deserted july 1st 1862 and was paid his wages for serving and returned to ireland... im am talking to someone who has more info along the same lines as BillPayer who is related to carbins i will see what info he has maybe he knows that ann carbins husband bernard was or was not in the civil war..... if ellen bernards mother was was a spinster and had 4 kids and those gaps in ages for bernards siblings it would be possible to be related to bernard ?/ right?

kiterunner
16-08-12, 17:32
if ellen bernards mother was was a spinster and had 4 kids and those gaps in ages for bernards siblings it would be possible to be related to bernard ?/ right?

No, I only thought they could be Bernard's siblings if his father really was Bernard McCusker rather than Ellen being a spinster. Ann and Catharine both gave their father's name as Bernard (Mc)Cusker on their marriages so I doubt they both made it up.

kcusker
16-08-12, 17:34
thats true ... so i dont know what to make of this what do you think?

kiterunner
16-08-12, 17:35
I suppose they could be more distantly related to him, or maybe McCusker is just a common name in the area.

You did see my post about the placename, didn't you? Aughaveigh = Aghavea. Maybe we can get somewhere with that.

kcusker
16-08-12, 17:39
yes i did but then i jumped into the major question you asked me : ) after looking at the doc. again id say you right on Aughaveigh also you can really see the veigh at the end thanks so much for looking

kiterunner
16-08-12, 22:17
It seems the only Cusker or McCusker in the parish of Aghavea on Griffith's Valuation is Francis McCosker at Rathkeelan. Sorry, not much to help there.

kiterunner
16-08-12, 22:38
There is a new site that has been set up recently to help people trace their Irish roots at parish level, which you could try:

Ireland Reaching Out (http://www.irelandxo.com/)

kcusker
17-08-12, 01:44
thank you kiterunner you are a very big help as well as merry and thank you very much billpayer

Joy Dean
17-08-12, 21:26
I have read through this for the first time this evening, and shall read this again tomorrow to take in all the points made.

Please would you advise whether or not you have received a copy of the marriage record from the GRO in Roscommon. I sent for one not long ago, at a cost of 4 Euros and received the record within just a few days - very good service.:)

My great-grandmother was born Susan McCusker, about 1855, in Fermanagh, daughter of John and Susan nee McAlarney.

kcusker
18-08-12, 00:17
as soon as i get the money i will be doing i believe it cost 20 something USD but when i do i will definetly let every one know
i do have the church records and i can email to someone who would like to see them just need an email address.

Merry
18-08-12, 07:10
I have a feeling you will be able to get a copy cheaper via Roscommon (as Joy mentioned). It's a VERY long time since i've done this myself, but I believe the reason it's cheaper is that the copy is not a certifiied copy, so isn't a legal document as such, but it is a copy (usually a photocopy) of the original GRO version of the record, which is exactly what you want.

http://www.groireland.ie/research.htm

the entry you need would fall into this catagory:

4. Marriages registered in the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921 inclusive and in Ireland (excluding Northern Ireland ) from 1922 onwards.

Further down the page it states:

A photocopy of an entry in the records (where the search has been carried out and the entry identified) can be purchased for €4.00.

S, I'm not sure if you would also have to pay €2 search fee as you are not visiting in person, but do have the exact date and place of the event - I'm fairly sure I didn't, but I was buying a birth cert not a marriage cert.

€4 = US$5 (approx)
€6 = US$7.5 (approx)

I'm a little unsure from that page what the postage cost would be to the US. Whe I last bought one of these uncertified copies the whole cost was four Euros including postage to the UK. Looks as if Joy may have paid the same.

Joy Dean
18-08-12, 10:23
I posted here - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,599538.90.html about a marriage record.

I shall attempt to attach the marriage record that I received - fingers crossed:)

If it is not as legible as one would like, I shall email it to Merry and ask if she would kindly do something with it :)

Merry
18-08-12, 10:56
That Rootschat thread answers the Q about the fees :)

kcusker
18-08-12, 13:31
I posted here - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,599538.90.html about a marriage record.

I shall attempt to attach the marriage record that I received - fingers crossed:)

If it is not as legible as one would like, I shall email it to Merry and ask if she would kindly do something with it :)

joy do any of your mccuskers add up with mine?

Joy Dean
18-08-12, 14:20
joy do any of your mccuskers add up with mine?

Somewhere, somehow they may do:)

Thanks for your message, I expect you have learned lots about my McCusker family from seeing posts by me all over the internet about them. However, even though I have learned about my great-grandmother's siblings (three brothers born in Galway, one sister presumably from Fermanagh, and one sister born in 1851, Abbey Lodge, Fermanagh - from the Civil Service Evidence of Age records in the find my past site), I know little about their father John and grandfather Francis, both labourers.

Joy Dean
18-08-12, 20:02
Have you looked for Ellen and her children on the US census?

Brookborough Town is in Aghalan townland in Aghevea parish in County Fermanagh. Surrounding townlands are Tattendillur, Skeoge, Lismalore, Lisolvan and Lurgar; all within a 2 mile radius. It is on the outskirts of County Tyrone; however, it is in County Fermanagh, not far from Fivemiletown, just north on Maguiresbridge. Just a little northwest from Lisnaskea near Upper Lake Erne, the lower lake of the two on a map.
(Information given to me from someone much more knowledgeable than I :))

Joy Dean
18-08-12, 22:09
ok. where does that leave me searching now recomendations on how to search becuase ive been searching a bernard mccusker from augh which what i was thinking was county tyrone for aughurcher

Possibly the parish of Aghalurcher? which is about halfway between Maguires Bridge and Brookborough.

Joy Dean
18-08-12, 22:25
That Rootschat thread answers the Q about the fees :)
Yes. :)

kiterunner
18-08-12, 22:48
Possibly the parish of Aghalurcher? which is about halfway between Maguires Bridge and Brookborough.

It turned out to be Aghavea, Joy. See posts #43 - #47.

kcusker
19-08-12, 01:42
i acct have a valuation of tenements for the parish of aghlurcher ive attached it as it this is probably my bernard. it was provided to me by a person who has found alot of info for what i was looking for and has been a huge! help to me

kiterunner
19-08-12, 09:01
It's too small for me to see, but what makes you think it's your Bernard? Do you have anything to say that he ever lived in Aghlurcher? :confused:

Joy Dean
19-08-12, 12:32
It turned out to be Aghavea, Joy. See posts #43 - #47.

So it did; my apologies.:)

kcusker
19-08-12, 13:30
the information was provided by james that the farmland bernard had the area was not to far from where is grammother was raised and this is the man who has been helping me greatly and even sent me the marriage cert

kcusker
07-09-12, 13:23
and update and some new info

hello all its been a little while as i have been a little disconnected. i have not gotten anything further back the the wedding cert. but i have been gathering information on the descendents of bernard and ann. 2 sons (one being my gggrandfather) and 3 daughters one whom married and one who didnt and one that died at a young age. i do believe all of them came to america. what i will be working on is where bernard, ann , and maryanne are buried also which is harder to find out is what happened to the brothers that bernard had when he came from ireland to america in 1851. ive been working with some great folks in northern ireland working on mccusker and murray

and that reminds me.. the one bit of new info i have is i found out the name of catherine murrays parents(my gggrandmother)(who married thomas cusker the youngest of bernard and anns son)

there names were owen murray and mary mullen but mary died and owen remarried

kiterunner
07-09-12, 14:23
That's good progess.

kcusker
10-10-12, 02:55
Another Update... Currently Working on a Skelton in our familys closet.... involves the two relatives discussed earlier, Bernard mccusker and Anne Carbin.... apperently Bernard died and ann had 1 or 2 children after his death and never married the man.
there is alot of work being put into this from many interested parties.
ive found some family research letters from a family member in the 80's
i think we have a better chance in soving the family secrets today then 30 years ago : )

like i said just an update thanks so much for everyones kind help and taking of your time

-Kevin

tenterfieldjulie
10-10-12, 08:23
Rattling around in my brain is that a Bernard McCosker (0riginally McCusker) came to NSW Australia. The family was scattered around Northern NSW with a large branch in Inverell. There has been quite a lot written about them. My bil is a descendant .. if I can find my notes, I will let you know where they came from in Ireland and when. This Bernard married Ellen McAlinna, born 1801 Fintona, Country Tyrone, son of Cornelius McCosker/McCusker and Catherine Donly. Her emigrated to NSW 1837 so doubt there is a connection.

kcusker
10-10-12, 18:28
i dont think there is a connection i have read alot about that branch. but thats though for thinking of looking into that for me

kcusker
06-08-13, 20:01
well i have been doing my research for a year now and found out some very interesting things i found bernards death civil record being end of april 1878 just less then a month of his son thomas my great great grandfather being born. also have found info on where there property was in fivemiletown according to a griffith valuation in 1862 i also now know where the property is on todays map. when bernard died his wife ann never remarries but has 2 children one of which i found coming to america to her sisters rose and catherine and the other child bridget i find also using the cusker name but loose her in the 1911 ireland cencus this is where i lose the trail of ann and bridget. the sister mary who came to america he trail falls out to in the 40s as she married a man named oscar hill and when he died after there first born she marries the brother james and up untill the 40s i have them in new jersy but this is it. it has been quite the adventure but i thought to just give an update also on my great great grandfather thomas' wife side "murray" ive even found cousins who live in ireland and england today and have talked through facebook

kiterunner
06-08-13, 22:02
It's quite difficult to trace relatives in New Jersey because not much NJ stuff is online. Ancestry do have lots of city directories so you may be able to follow them through those.