PDA

View Full Version : Identifying a death

Sussex Maid
11-08-12, 10:39
I am having difficulty identifying a death for
Sidney Thomas Stevens born 9 Dec 1877 Uckfield, Sussex
I last have him on the 1921 London Electoral Register at 171 Manor Road Wandsworth with his wife (Ivy Idena).
After that date his wife only shows at that address (1922-4) before she moves to 31 Elliot Road Lambeth (1926-9).
Sidney is mentioned in the will of his father in 1932 and also named on the marriage certificates of his children and none of these indicate that he is deceased. I also have a copy of an advertisement placed in 1950 requesting that he contact a firm of solicitors as he is entitled to a share of the estate of his deceased brother.
When his wife, Ivy, dies in Oct 1942 she is described as 'widow of Sidney Stevens, antique dealer', but as the informant is not a family member I think the 'widow' bit is something of a face-saver.
I have been told by one of the children of Sidney's brother that they remember him coming to visit the family in West Hoathly (time frame would be abt 1947 +/- 5 I think).
Is there anything else I can look at/for to try and identify when and where he died?
Thank you

ElizabethHerts
11-08-12, 11:00
This is a possible:

Name: STEVENS, Sidney T
Registration district: [?] Isle of Wight
County: Hampshire
Year of registration: 1960
Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at death:83
Volume no: 6B
Page no: 857

Sussex Maid
11-08-12, 11:39
Thank you for that one Elizabeth, will order it and see - although, without wishing to sound too defeatist, as Sidney seems to have lost all contact with his family I'm not sure how I will be able to confirm it is really him.
Regards

kiterunner
11-08-12, 11:49
Isle of Wight BMD confirms the middle name on that death as Thomas.

Sussex Maid
11-08-12, 12:35
Thank you KiteRunner - and ElizabethHerts - , this one sounds quite promising
Regards